Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What should I bring to Cambodia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuneintokyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: What should I bring to Cambodia? Reply with quote

Of course I shall be travelling lightly, but shouldn't I be particularly concerned with losing all due to theft? Will anything I own of value be safe in a 5 or 10 dollar a night hotel? Where can a tourist or new arrival stow things apon arrival?
lost_gypsy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: to bring Reply with quote

lots of antiseptic and anti diarrhea medicine... Laughing
Elkythedogsperson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you traveling to Cambodia for and where are you going? This being a teaching forum, we assume that a post here is from someone looking to stay a semi-long time. There�s a whole set of answers for that. But perhaps you might be going as a tourist, which would require a whole different set of answers. Also, Cambodia is a big country�where are you traveling to? That also has a whole different set of answers.

To answer what I can with the few details you�ve given, here�s my advice. It is best to travel light if you have sufficient funds. Pretty much anything can be picked up in the bigger cities, including clothes and the items mentioned by reply #1. make copies of your passport (including the arrival visa) and carry those once you�re found a safe place to store the original. As for currency, bring small note, good quality USD dollars to start and convert to reils. Travelers checks can be converted to reils in the larger cities, but don�t count on using them in the countryside; ATMS are also available in the larger cities.

Definitely take your camera. Film is easy to find, or if yours is digital recharging is easy as long as you have the converter. Burning memory cards to CD is not hard to do even in some of the smaller towns.

As for safety of you items, I had no problems at all in Cambodia in either the two weeks I spent as a tourist through the country or one year teaching in Phnom Penh�had more problems in Thailand. Five-ten dollar night rooms can be dodgy. Ask if it possible to see you room first and trust your gut. If you have baggage that is lockable, that will help.

Upon arrival�are you flying to Phnom Penh, traveling overland from Thailand boat tripping from Viet Nam? When you say stow things, do you mean leave them while you travel to other areas or just while you�re day-tripping around?

Not to steer you away from Dave�s, but you might also check the SEA branch of the thorntree forum at lonelyplanet.com http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa?forumID=24 for specific traveling tips. Also a good travel guide (LP, Moon� etc.) is helpful for a new arrival as long as it�s the most recent edition.

Happy travels. Let us know if you more specific questions.
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As previously stated, pretty well anything you may need is available in Cambodia - certainly in Phnom Penh - though you may have to shop around a little. The only things I have found difficult to obtain, or at least limited in the selections available, are vitamin/food supplements (though this seems to be improving a little of late) and decent sun products. Most of the sun-screen products here are either total-block, SPF 350 (sarcasm), or even SKIN WHITENING!
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cambodia. Try it and see. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: