Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best unknown beach in Mexico?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeySaid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Best unknown beach in Mexico? Reply with quote

FIRST: Anyone know where the beach in Arrancame la vida was? I think it was veracruz, but I (read: my wife) didn't have the patience to watch for the location name in the credits.

If you know where that is and it looks like that now... tell me. I will go.

SECOND: What is the best little-known beach in Mexico? Everyone in Torreon either goes to Mazatlan or Cancun. Neither is my cup of tea.

I just want a warm, beautiful place where I can swim, eat fish tacos and ceviche, and spend a week there without going broke. (meaning... I would love to spend $40 a day... yes, that kind of unknown.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mrs L

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Best unknown beach in Mexico? Reply with quote

MikeySaid wrote:
What is the best little-known beach in Mexico? Everyone in Torreon either goes to Mazatlan or Cancun. Neither is my cup of tea.

I just want a warm, beautiful place where I can swim, eat fish tacos and ceviche, and spend a week there without going broke. (meaning... I would love to spend $40 a day... yes, that kind of unknown.)

For me it's El Faro de Bucerias in Michoacan ( about 30mins north of the infamous Maruata). Hit the coast at Tecoman, Colima then it's about an hour south.

You need to take a tent and pay about 30 pesos per person to camp under a palapa and use the toilets/ showers. Food is kinda expensive but if you take your own and a camping stove it works out cheaper. There's a shop in the village selling beer and ice and anything else you run out of. Then just sling your hammock and enjoy the view- heaven!! Very Happy
El Gallo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's Zipolite in Oaxaca. Same set up as described above with cabanas and places to rent tent space. It's quiet, uncrowded and beautiful. Don't be surprised if you are offered a joint for sale when you buy a beer or If you climb over a big rock outcropping with a house on top and find a nude beach on the other side (not that I would ever partake of either) Razz
Mrs L

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that brings back memories, I backpacked down that way in '99 and ended up staying in Mazunte just up the coast because it was smaller than Zipolite. There've gotta be loads such beaches in Mexico. My dream is to one day spend a year just travelling the coast discovering them all. Just need to win that lotto first!!
sarliz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I was all excited to toss in my unknown beach that we go to, but it's already up - Faro de Bucerias. We went once for a long weekend in January and I think there were about 12 people there, total. Went again during Semana Santa and it was a different story. But it it the only place where I've eaten lobster on the beach - and it cost about U$ 12.

If you're in a different neck of the woods, my all time favorite beach is Playa Carazallio (my spelling might be totally off) in Puerto Escondito. It's a little bay that you've got to hike down a serious set of stairs to get to, which dissuades the masses from going. Puerto Escondito in general I'm partial to, it's big enough that you've got restaurants and stuff going on at night, but small enough that after a few days you know everybody in town.

Arrgh! Now I've got a serious hankering to go to the beach. When's our next puente, anyone?
MikeySaid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next puente is Nov 2.

I've only been to one beach in Mexico and it was Puerto Escondido... I loved it there. I think I could live there. I want to take the wife on a trip down into the south of Mexico around x-mas because I've decided I can't afford to go home for the holidays, but if done right, I think we can make a nice two week trip down that way and back, camping on the beach and staying in some inexpensive places.

So I'm looking for tips/hints.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
sarliz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mikey-
There's a place in Puerto Escondito on Playa Zicatelas (the one with all the gigantic surfing waves of doom) that has cabanas that they rent for $120/night (for just me, so maybe with 2 is a bit more) as recently as a year ago. They're slightly rustic, but surround a nice pool and there's a minisuper in front for all your cold beer needs. I'm post it if I remember their name, but I think they're next to El Cafecito.

And puente-wise, isn't the 2nd a Sunday? How does that work? Do people still get Monday off?
MikeySaid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not exactly sure about how the puente works but the wife made it sound like it was the 2nd... so probably the 3rd...

hold on...

<whistles jeopardy music>

just... a .... stupid sep website...

okay... maybe the 17th... then?

is that place close to the "SURF HOTEL" ??? I think that is the name of the place we stayed at years ago and there was this place right in front with this pizza i still remember... pesto, sun dried tomatoes, anchioves and i think feta.... delicious it was.
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: pacific Reply with quote

Except for Acapulco and perhaps Puerto Pe�asco (Rocky Point for Arizonans) I dont think there is a bad beach on the Pacific coast. My only real gripe with the gulf coast is that the wind comes off the land so its hot and definitely not refreshing.

Despite the recent shark attacks, I have no problem returning to Zihutanejo and Troncones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sarliz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a little further down (away from town) than the pizza place. That's the one with the wood burning oven and the Bob Marley and Jesus theme, right? That is some tasty pizza.
GueroPaz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we tell too many people, they will not be secret any more. The point about the breeze coming off the Pacific did not seem true as far south as Chiapas, such as Arista or Port Chiapas. Spent at least a week each at Zicatela and Zipolite, and got offered a ganja the first second that I walked out of my cabin at Zipolite. Nude beach at Zipolite, but some folks are too modest.

I used to enjoy Playa Azul just outside Tuxpan, Veracruz, but it does have nortenos in the winter. Playa Azul outside Lazaro Cardenas was very warm in November. Hmm, both those beaches are near nuclear power plants.....

Avoid the dead zone of the southernmost Gulf of Mexico, such as Cd. del Carmen - too warm, very shallow. Isla Mujeres is a fairly expensive alternative, but cheaper and less crowded than Cancun itself.

I miss those beaches.
MELEE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is for Playa Chacahua at the Lagunas de Chacahua west of Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca.

(some guide books list is as Chacagua Confused )
JenniferJean

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Mexican Beaches Reply with quote

The beaches from Maya Hual (sp) down to the Belize Border are great!
There is a some cruise ship traffic, but it can easily be avoided.
veroax

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been to many beaches, but I'm with Chacahua. One of the best I've ever been to-- miles of pristine beaches. It's a bit of an adventure getting there, but entirely worth it.

I also enjoyed some spots near Catemaco in southern Veracruz. The beaches themselves weren't as nice as the Pacific, but there's the added bonus of exploring Catemaco / Los Tuxtlas-- an area which I really liked...
Samantha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check this pristeen beach out before the Mexican Government builds us our next planned mega resort. It is a beautiful, quiet area for now, but not for long!

http://www.mexidata.info/id2013.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: