Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good jobs in Toronto and Quebec

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erracht

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Good jobs in Toronto and Quebec Reply with quote

When I come back to T.O., hopefully in early Summer, I will have completed over 8 months of TEFL teaching in the Czech Republic. I also hold a 4 year BA in Classics, English and French and a TEFL certificate and am currently considering several job options. There is a lucrative market for TEFL teachers right here and if I were to get better established, I could make good money mainly for chatting in English with professionals and correcting their English. Still, I'm an almost die-hard Torontonian and would like to get a job at home that's worthy of all the years I've spent in college etc that pays well. Yet from what I've read, the salaries for TEFL teachers back home are a joke and there is even considerable competition.

My question is - if I were to go home and do teaching again, would there be any jobs anywhere, with the Government for instance, in which I could teach TEFL/TESOL and get anything like a decent salary (minimum 35000 dollars)? Does the Government hire English teachers for immigrants etc? I know French and Serbian and am learning Czech, so these are additional qualifications that could help me with foreigners.

If not in Toronto, is it true what someone told me, that in Quebec, there are language schools where I would easily find well-paid work?
Capergirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$35,000? Per annum? Did you get lost on your way to the Japan forum? Wink

Just kidding...but hey, if you do find a position like that in ON or PQ, please send me a PM immediately! Very Happy
shenyanggerry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago in Montreal I had a fellow student doing his TESL Cartificate. He had an MA and college teaching experience. All he could find was a private language school that paid $15 per hour WHEN there were bums on the seats.

The public sector pays well BUT you need a teacher's licence, not just a TESL Certificate. You must also pass a French exam.

Can't comment on Ontario. Good Luck!
Louis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To teach in Ontario public schools, you need to go to teacher's college (1 year) and pass the exam, TEFL/TESOL/experience notwithstanding. Your only option would be private ESL schools, which I understand don't pay very well...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: