Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will my boyfriend and I find work in Nov/Dec?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-fizz-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Will my boyfriend and I find work in Nov/Dec? Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

My boyfriend and I are currently working in Korea and plan to work in Thailand after out contracts finish in November. I know this is pretty much the worst time to find work but I just wanted to know if this is still possible?

We are both native speakers from the U.K, with BA degrees and 1 year experience (no TEFL though).

Thanks very much! Very Happy
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely no....it is holiday time in Thailand around then...t is also the time where you will see thousands of EFL backpackers on holiday in the Land of Smile enjoying the sun and hanging out at Bangkok's infamous Kaosarn Road! Shocked Shocked Shocked
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Will my boyfriend and I find work in Nov/Dec? Reply with quote

-fizz- wrote:
Hey everyone!

My boyfriend and I are currently working in Korea and plan to work in Thailand after out contracts finish in November. I know this is pretty much the worst time to find work but I just wanted to know if this is still possible?

We are both native speakers from the U.K, with BA degrees and 1 year experience (no TEFL though).

Thanks very much! Very Happy

End your contracts in November and come here you will likely only find piece work in language academies. It should, however, tide you over until hiring season in April. It'll also give you a chance to look around and find a nice place to plunk down for your next contract.

December is pretty much non instructional, January is test prep. Feb is term finals and end of the school year until May.

-fizz-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks! If we were to do piece work in language academies for a few months, what kind of visa would we need? I have heard that Thailand is clamping down on visa runs. Is that true?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-fizz- wrote:
OK, thanks! If we were to do piece work in language academies for a few months, what kind of visa would we need? I have heard that Thailand is clamping down on visa runs. Is that true?

1st time in you can get away with a double entry tourist visa.
This will give you 60-days + 30-day extension then border hop and repeat for a total of 6 months and no issues.

The clampdown was on those with many, many, many border hops and staying here for years on 15 or 30-day tourist stamps.

No worry for 1st timers.

-fizz-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah okay! Thanks!

Also, is work at the language academies generally on a year contract or can you just kinda leave when you want? So, if we were to get work at a language academy, could we just leave when a better opportunity comes along?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Language academies are everywhere to be found in Bangkok...if you are lucky enough to get part time work nowadays. They usually want full timers....and you need a valid work permit these days to be legal. If caught teaching on a tourist visa you risk getting fined and possibly deported after spending time in the Farang monkey house. Buyer beware! Shocked Shocked Shocked
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ 1/2 accurate. You can feel free to ignore the above poster. He is usually incorrect and is not in Asia.

While there is risk associated with working on a tourist visa (as there is in any country) it is small. Yes, it can include detention, fines and removal from the country (just like it would anywhere else on the planet).

There are lots of ads for part-time or hourly work. The vast majority of mom-n-pop language academies aren't fussed about your visa or work permit and usually can't get you one anyway. They just need someone to work the classe(s) for 4-10 weeks (a common cycle in a small language center).

The rest of part time work is one-off jobs for private individuals. Look on Facebook for groups related to teaching in Thailand. They are littered with "teacher wanted" ads.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: