Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IPA Jeddah

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shebab

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: IPA Jeddah Reply with quote

Hi All:

I was wondering how much choice one has in determining which branch of IPA you can work at if offered a job there-for example, if I prefered to be in Jeddah, would they be able to honor that request, or does it depend on availability?

Thanks,

Shebab
titanicman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: All things IPA Reply with quote

I've heard through the IPA grapevine that the choice of location depends on their needs. IPA just had a expat come in a few weeks ago who got shipped off to IPA in Damman b/c they were short of staff there. In his case, he was OK about going to Damman, Riyadh, or Jeddah.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do IPA recruit "Western" women?

where do they have female branches?
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Don't go there Reply with quote

Dear Cleopatra,
The IPA has a "Women's Branch" only in Riyadh. However, based on what I've heard from ladies who have taught there over the years, I wouldn't recommend it as a good place to work. From what I've been told, the administration over there verges on the nightmarish.
Regards,
John
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical!

there are never any decent "ladies' schools" in the nicer parts of the Kingdom!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cleo,

A few years back, I was actually offered a job with the Riyadh Women's branch, which would have given me the opportunity to meet the illustrious Mr JohnS. Sadly I missed that chance. Smile

A friend was teaching there and tried to convince me to come and work with her. But, I decided to take another offer and it was a good thing, as she and her husband left basically for the reasons John mentions and I understand things have become worse.

Oh well ----

VS
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Change is bad Reply with quote

Dear veiledsentiments,
Some say the Kingdom never changes. Howver, in my experience, that wasn't true; it always seemed to get a little worse every year.
Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well John, I am afraid that the same could be said for every country that I taught in. I missed the best times of Cairo - all the old timers told me. And all the negatives have kept growing since. (pollution, noise, crowding)

But, I lucked into the best of times in Oman and the Emirates, IMHO. The amazing jump in the student population has provided many more jobs, but the working conditions have gone downhill ----

Or we could just be the older generation wishing for the good old days. Smile

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: