Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting a business in Poland - Info
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have business codes, just look on the list and find them.

Be careful about "translation" though it's a legal status here, subject to licensing restriction.

DO some research into it. You may need a word like editing in your advertising. If you are not doing it for legal documents it probably isn't such a big deal. I have language services or some such verbiage for one of the codes on mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jahalf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Infinite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two tips [I'm not sure if they were mentioned previously but I found them very useful]

1. If you're hired on the "umowa o prace" basis, even part time, and you're planning on staring your own business "Dzialalnosc Gospodarcza". You're only responsible for the Health Care part of ZUS, which, if I remember correctly, comes out to about 250PLN per month.

2. Another thing, sometimes, we try to get that contract with a company [either by winning a bid or otherwise] and need to sign it ASAP, which usually takes place right before the summer when most corporate clients don't want to have lessons. We can actually register our "Dzialalnosc" BUT, in the effective date, put the date when we will actually start teaching thus saving us from paying for ZUS during the "wait period".

I hope this helps someone a bit Smile
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round One - Denied Residence Visa.

Have about 20 more days in country but no Schengen time available until early September.

I'll either make it on Round Two or be looking for work out of the country - Ukraine, Turkey, Georgia or maybe Russia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!

What was the justification for refusal?

That's a dramatic change from the old policy.
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came in and set about starting up from scratch with my own company.

They simply say I have too few students to be a business.

I offered a bank statement with 7,000 Euros in it but they appear uninterested in it.

That took me back a bit.

Still, I am working on it.
oipivo

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[u]I offered a bank statement with 7,000 Euros in it but they appear uninterested in it.
[/u]

The office here in Poznan had a similar reaction to a similar figure. They just didn't really care about that.

I've abandoned the business visa attempt and am just getting a work permit through a school I trust. It looks like my business will still be quite useful though as I'm hiring my wife to get her a work permit. Such fun.
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my instance it is a bit more life-altering. Due to the timing I am pretty much feeling like I will be forced out of the Schengen countries until at least early September.

I really didn't want to work full-time for a school, preferring to control my workload, student selection and schedule on my own.

If I don't somehow convince them to change their decision in the next couple of workdays, then I am going to start shooting out CV's to Georgia, Ukraine (UGH!), Turkey and consider whether I could stand a tropical climate. At this point a Georgian homestay looks most promising although if I thought I could get by for 90 days in the UK that wouldn't be so bad.

If that goes down then there is a huge hit on me personally and financially since I don't anticipate serious work before fall, the students I have been working with will be pissed at me, I have at least 4 suitcases of stuff that will be left here and some other interpersonal issues are going to range from irritating to catastrophic.

My intention would be to return in September and try again although at that point my financial resources will be drastically reduced as savings will be drawn down.

Regardless, I will try to eat what is set before me (just NO TOMATOES!).
wojbrian

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend did this through Gorzow and had no problems.

What were the reasons they gave for not approving it?
ecocks

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wojbrian wrote:
My friend did this through Gorzow and had no problems.

What were the reasons they gave for not approving it?

From the post:

Today, I expect my official notification letter. I will get it translated quickly and see whether that differs significantly from what they say in the phone call.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:

First thing : I'd ask them for the legal basis of such an argument : there's no such stipulation in Polish law that businesses require x amount of customers.

Secondly, I'd just issue a few contracts and show them the contracts as proof - especially if you start the contracts from September.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am doing:

1. Letter stating the obvious about how TEFL business cycles run (Summer -Spring - Fall) and that it is growing as expected.

Backed up by:

2. Latest Accountant Income statement showing I am at 26 contact hours a week now. Mix of Skype and local students.

3. I am giving them my bank statement showing savings and mentioning that I am paying rent, utilities, eating, etc. anyway.

Hopefully, this will push past the current denial.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give them absolutely everything you can to support your case:

rental contracts, gas/electric/water bills - all with proof from your bank that you paid them on time.

letters of intent from schools/students saying they plan to employ you for X hours/zloty every month (even if you haven't begun working for them yet)
ecocks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wish I had good news but I don't.....

They looked at the things I submitted.

1. New income statement showing 9 students and about 75% schedule capacity. Improving trend while going into summer.

2. My statement showing $8,000 in the bank.

3. Accompanying letter explain that I was starting the business, summer is the slow season but my customer base is growing and remind them I have the resources to support myself for the first year.

Response: Can you provide student contracts for a year?

I confess to being somewhat stunned.

The caseworker will "show it to her boss" but clearly is not going to make a recommendation to reverse.

So, I am unsure what role Poland will play in my future and am starting to look for a [hopefully] 6 month or shorter contract somewhere that makes financial sense to go to while keeping my apartment and leaving much of my clothing and personal possessions here. My reputation will take a hit with the students I got and am now going to have to leave. on 1-2 week's notice.

Not a good situation but it's the way things are.

Footnote: Ironically, this afternoon I picked up a crash IELTS student who wants three, two-hour lessons a week for the next three weeks scheduled for 8am-10am. I agreed to do it for 900 zl. (Summertime, morning student, don't have to leave my apartment, no heavy prep needed). I suspect taking them any sort of signed paper showing three weeks work would be worse than nothing.
Infinite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
Well, I wish I had good news but I don't.....

If you're doing in company, try getting letters of intent, you could also get them from your privates. I had to do a similar thing for a bank at one point. Most students are more than happy to write those up. The in company letters hold more water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: