Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting a business in Poland - Info
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecocks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not doing any in-company(rates are too high for them is my guess).

All my students are one-on-ones paying into my bank account.

Frustrated and a bit disgusted but also peeved at myself a bit about all this as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought of going to schools and asking for letters of intent to employ you for XXX hours starting in the fall semester?

I know you wanted to avoid working for schools, but a letter from a school would definitely carry more weight than one from some Jan Kowalski. And it's not like you're 100% committed to working for a school just because they write you a letter either.
ecocks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True and it's a good idea.

Now that summer is hitting and schools are letting people go and starting to think about next year, I am considering sending out a CV with my scanned passport, certs and diplomas to the larger schools and floating the ide that I would be willing to do XX hours a week or month without them having to do anything for my visa support.

Once they do your visa, they own you. Hate that idea but maybe it's what I have to do.

Last edited by ecocks on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
True and it's a good idea.

Now that summer is hitting and schools are letting people go and making starting to think about next year, I am considering sending out a CV with my scanned passport, certs and diplomas to the larger schools and floating the ide that I would be willing to do XX hours a week or month without them having to do anything for my visa support.

Once they do your visa, they own you. Hate that idea but maybe it's what I have to do.

I did very well for myself by playing schools off against each other - I would only take 2-4 hours from each one, and make it clear that while I could fill spots, it would come at a price. Getting 70-80zl from the chain schools was easily achievable with such an approach.
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. As I said to Shake, I wanted to keep my independence but may have to play the game a bit by looking for an offer or two.

Last Friday I got another notice that they have now extended me to July 5th. I'm collecting Letters of Intent (I refuse to do "contracts") from my students as part of an updated packet addition.

I checked with Border Control and the Immigration Office and have to go to Immigration tomorrow to get a stamp in my passport to be here legally until then. Border Control verified that I could do a border run and get another 90 days (that would be my third 90 day period).
oipivo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Border Control verified that I could do a border run and get another 90 days (that would be my third 90 day period).

Glad to hear that this is at least consistant across the board. Thanks for the updates and have a lovely border run/holiday.

I'm still in the process of waiting for my work permit and getting a work permit for my wife using my company. This is actually a decent way to get legal is you're a couple, so if anyone has questions about this feel free to ask me.
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oipivo wrote:
Border Control verified that I could do a border run and get another 90 days (that would be my third 90 day period).

Glad to hear that this is at least consistant across the board. Thanks for the updates and have a lovely border run/holiday.

I'm still in the process of waiting for my work permit and getting a work permit for my wife using my company. This is actually a decent way to get legal is you're a couple, so if anyone has questions about this feel free to ask me.

They told me to go back to the Immigration office on Wednesday and get the stamp in my passport to stay at least through the 5th..
oipivo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, I meant to say that I hope you get approved! Haha, I was on my phone and didn't catch that. I read good.
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever hired a native speaker teacher and brought them in with full visa support? My accountant has given me tax impact but I was curious if anyone knows the visa support process intimately enough to give fees and details?

I sort of hate the thought but I may need to get a fixed location for a classroom and staging point to deal with a proposal that landed on me.
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, preparing to submit a new batch of materials showing a monthly gross income of roughly 6800 zl for 30 hours per week, Letters of Intent (in Polish) ranging from 2 months to 1 year and the newest batches of receipts and a cover letter trying to explain how no business is able to guarantee success through contracts and how sales works.

If that isn't enough I just don't know what can convince them.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
Okay, preparing to submit a new batch of materials showing a monthly gross income of roughly 6800 zl for 30 hours per week, Letters of Intent (in Polish) ranging from 2 months to 1 year and the newest batches of receipts and a cover letter trying to explain how no business is able to guarantee success through contracts and how sales works.

If that isn't enough I just don't know what can convince them.
Have you tried just asking them 'what would convince you?'

Honestly tho, they may well not be able to answer this because they themselves have no freaking idea.

Once, when an immigration employee left the room to get my file, I caught a glimpse inside the secret back offices at Warsaw immigration. Inside these cavernous chambers, there is a giant roulette wheel. Instead of numbers, the particular wheel has phrases like 'deny,' 'grant two year residency', and 'ask for more supporting documents' (in Polish, of course) written on the wheel segments.

I'd wager your failings thus far are due to bad luck. Keep spinning that wheel with more trips to immigration; your bound to get lucky eventually! Wink
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have asked what more do you want sort of questions and the answer(s) have always been about contracts that indicate a year's worth of business.
ecocks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, filed some more paperwork with the office yesterday. Had 6 letters of Intent regarding English lessons with dates ranging out as far as December; a Letter of Employment for contracted proofreading and editorial work and will file an updated Income Statement showing month's tax payments and a gross of roughly 6500 zl.

Will see what they do when my next decision date rolls around.
ecocks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not good.

I was told that I am not "innovative" enough.

Digesting that tidbit and thinking about Plan B now.
sparks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a contract with two or more schools. You can work for them for minimal hours but it may be the magic key to your residency problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: