Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting a business in Poland - Info
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecocks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no interest in working for someone else unless it was on some sort of incredibly cherry-picked schedule. My frustration on the "innovative" has calmed down and I am intending to try to get them to explain why other people have residence permits but mine is being viewed this way.

I have no problems with the business. Today I picked up another student for 5 X 2 Hour lessons per week. That technically puts me over 40 teaching hours but we all know how the vacations affect business in the summer months. That would have me grossing right at 10,000 zl a month but would be a killer in terms of lifestyle.

Tonight there's an email in my inbox from another prospect asking for 3 X 1 hour lessons a week.

I suspect my actual will be more like 30-32 average per week for the next month. Will be starting in the next week on a web site that more clearly markets the options as well as try to put together a traditional class or two and then see what I can turn on for the Fall and Spring seasons. Prune off some of the low-paying clients and tighten up the working hours/days to make it more livable are the primary goals.

And, of course, figuring out this damned permit situation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
Not good.

I was told that I am not "innovative" enough.

Digesting that tidbit and thinking about Plan B now.
Tell them you teach Eng. upside down underwater. Call it the 'Total Immersion Approach' -cutting edge pedagogy based on new, revolutionary discoveries made by Krashen. You'll have them drooling, giving you years of residency, and begging you for lessons.

It worked for me. Wink
ecocks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're killing me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updating:

Extended (again) to September 13th........
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now they want the degrees and TEFL certificate translated.

Prior to this they had indicated that copies were sufficient.
sparks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's a good sign, sounds like your wearing them down. This is probably the key to your victory.
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
I think that's a good sign, sounds like your wearing them down. This is probably the key to your victory.

Fingers crossed.

On another note, it looks like I am acquiring a fixed location. Now to outfit a classroom properly and acquire a good selection of support materials.
wojbrian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my friends in Zielona Gora is having a similar run around.

They did not renew his long term residency because the business he opened last year does not earn enough.

He pays his bills and is able to save. What the heck to do they want from people?
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, if there are any independents up this way who are looking for some options, give me a PM or Skype me. I prefer North Americans but maybe I can be persuaded to consider others.

I will be opening a classroom location in the Old Town area:

* seats up to 12 comfortably
* convenient to a tram stop about 100m away
* two whiteboards - 1 medium, 1 large
* WI-FI
* projector unit with large screen

This is not an apartment, entry is direct from street and includes a toilet, coat rack area and high ceilings.

We can work out a partnering agreement or go straight rental of the location on your schedule.

NOTE: No visa support through my company is available at this time. You need to establish your own legal situation.

If anyone has a contact for wholesale books (TEFL Materials or mass market books in English), I'd appreciate the info via PM.
ecocks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a good day at Immigration.

It's pretty clear that they are not supportive of foreigners (as in non-EU) opening businesses in their country.

At this point, we are looking at swallowing the investment losses (approximately $12k) and deciding whether there is a better place to give it a shot.

It's a short list though due to the world situation right now.

All in all, disappointing.
wojbrian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a lawyer? I am sure that you tried this already but had to ask.

I was always told there is some law on the books that allows an American to open a business in Poland. I know finding these mysterious laws in Poland is impossible.
ecocks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely thing now is that I will just shut my company down and tap savings for a few months until I can see whether it makes sense to remain in Poland longer than one more season on a drawn-out vacation. If I am going to have to work for a school then the question will be which country it will be located in.

The short list is....short.
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, another day, another change......

Today I had the translator call the Immigration Office and pose the question of why did Poland let Americans setup companies, register addresses and long term leases, open bank accounts, etc. if we could not work in the country.

The answer took me by surprise.

Immigration Officer: Tell him (meaning me) to work in his business and do border runs every 90 days. After he has his business going he can re-apply for residency.

Translator: So all he has to do is go out of Poland every 90 days, come back with proof that he was out (ticket, ATM, meal/hotel receipts, etc.) and that's it?

Immigration Officer: Yes.

Shocked

The hitch in this is that if any traveling within the Schengen will be technically illegal. Staying here will mean no [legal] trips to Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Innsbruck, etc. Any trips outside the Schengen will require entry and exit of Shchengen through a Polish Port-of-Entry or fly into somewhere like Ukraine or Sofia, then hop into Poland directly without going through a passport control point.

This limits my travel planning significantly and pretty much forces me to fly through London or Istanbul for transit back to the US and only adds a handful of other airports such as Kyiv, Sofia, Tbilisi or Belgrade.

OTOH, it preserves the investments to date (although sunk costs are like the Titanic so no point in chasing them) but does allow me to continue living in a great spot and holds out the possibility of the residence card in the future.

So, went to the store and bought a set of classroom furniture, pulled the trigger on a book order and will give it a shot.

Gonna ride this hoss 'til he drops.......
Mike from MI

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could teachers in Gdansk spend a night in Kaliningrad for visa renewal?
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike from MI wrote:
Could teachers in Gdansk spend a night in Kaliningrad for visa renewal?

In theory, or you could even do the "booze cruise" boat to Baltyisk in summer and avoid the need for a Russian visa, yet still get stamped in and out of Poland. Even if the minibus tour of Russia doesn't run, it doesn't matter - you will have left Poland at the port in Gdansk, and will have to re-enter there anyway.

For 40zl, it's a worthwhile option for those living in/near Gdansk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: