Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it me or....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caramel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Is it me or.... Reply with quote

...is it difficult to find a short term TEFL job in London at this time of year?? I've sent my CV over the past three weeks and only two schools have bothered to respond. I also just had an interview with a school but was rejected because I didn't go into enough detail about teaching theory so perhaps having a Celta isn't enough. Maybe I should save my dole money to do the Delta despite the fact I have four years experience under my belt but then again it is an expensive course to take and it involves lots of teaching practice which in turn needs money and a job blah blah blah....oh well at least I have more time on my hands to watch hours of daytime TV... Confused
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

September through November is the worst time of the year to apply for a language school job in the UK as schools are busy letting go the temporary staff they took on to deal with the summer students. There will be slight blip around late December as the South American students come over at the start of their summer break before a short-term rise in demand ove Easter but the real hiring season is May through July.

Enjoy the day-time soaps, or look abroad. Those parts of Europe with a less seasonally-based client base are still hiring.
Phil_b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try registering with some agencies for work teaching ESOL in colleges - That's how I got started - September is the best time to look in this case, but there might still be things around.

The agencies that my college use are:

Select Education
Capita
Protocol Professional

Agency work isn't brilliant and you'll probably end up with a few hours in a few colleges, but if you get known and liked you'll build up some work. Expect around �20/hour in London.
caramel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't you want short-term work?

The FE sector pays a higher hourly rate but it is unlikely that you will get more than a very few hours a week in the short term so I hadn't considered it appropriate in your case. But the hourly rate is much better so if it is a case of that or nothing then go for it although some of the colleges may not be happy if you disappear after a couple of months.

How short is your short term?
Phil_b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillnosheep wrote:
Didn't you want short-term work?

The FE sector pays a higher hourly rate but it is unlikely that you will get more than a very few hours a week in the short term so I hadn't considered it appropriate in your case. But the hourly rate is much better so if it is a case of that or nothing then go for it although some of the colleges may not be happy if you disappear after a couple of months.

How short is your short term?

Hmmm... maybe I should have read the first post before replying! Short term agency work is possible, but rarer - and it's a small world, so I'd be honest (at least with the colleges, I don't have much sympathy or respect for the agencies)

Sure, you could always say you were going to be around for longer and then disappear - but don't expect to come back to work... The best way to get decent hours and into full-time positions is to be well regarded by a few Curriculum Team Leaders... Don't make enemies of them!
caramel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm here for a month and a bit and then I'm going away on holiday for another month but I'm not sure if I'm going to stay in the UK in the long term after that...but then again I don't want to make enemies of anyone really. If I can't find any short term work then I might consider doing volunteering even though it there's no money involved...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: