Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iqama transfer - possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desert_traveller

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: iqama transfer - possible? Reply with quote

teacher from country A works for company 1 on a proper work visa. can teacher transfer his iqama to company 2 that might not have a work visa for country A? remember, teacher has already got his iqama etc

from a different angle: do companies have to have a visa quota for people who would like to transfer their iqamas to them? or they can transfer with their existing iqama regardless of the new company's existing visa quotas?

ammm if it sounds too convoluted, don't bother, but i know there are a few people who will get it, i would appreciate any insights, thanks
brasscat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: The Nature of the Iqama Reply with quote

The first basic proposition of the Iqama is, though it maybe issued to you, it is under the control of the company which hired you. In essence, they are your sponsor.

If you leave a company in the KSA, they will request your Iqama be returned to them.

Now when you go to another company, they become the new sponsor and seek issuance of a new Iqama.

Iqamas are not transferrable.
brasscat
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong again Brasscat.
brasscat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Nope Reply with quote

Tell it to PMU. They have it written in their Clearing Proceedure handout.
brasscat
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brasscat,

Iqamas are transferable. It's not that unusual for people to transfer their sponsorship from one company to another, or even from their spouse to their employer (or vice-versa). However, iqamas can only be transferred with the consent and cooperation of your sponsor. So, if they refuse to tranfer your iqama, there's nothing you can do about it. Companies very often do refuse - it's quite a bit of hassle for them to complete all the paperwork involved, and often they'll only do it if they have a good relationship with the company you're going to.

Often your only option is to get an exit only visa and re-apply through the Saudi embassy in your home country. However, doing so requires an NOC from your previous employer, but that's another story.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not believe everything I saw written down. A man could get into trouble that way.
brasscat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Written is legal Reply with quote

We live in a land where written proof is the only thing accepted as fact.

Ignorance is not bliss.
brasscat
Mia Xanthi

Location: why is my heart still in the Middle East while the rest of me isn't?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Written proof is accepted as fact here?!? I thought that "written proof" was only the starting point for negotiations. Confused
desert_traveller

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks folks, but can anyone answer my question, as it were? coz so far, no one has. you can transfer your iqama, thats a fact, the question concerns the work visa quotas

let me paraphrase

you work for Wahed Ahmed Co on a work visa, you have a togolese passport, and Wahed Ahmed acquired the work visa quota for a togolese employee. you are all sorted with ur iqama etc, and u wanna change employer, now u wanna work for Muhammad & Sons Co, who are happy to employ you but have no work visa quota for togolese people. can u transfer your iqama to them?
hameedox

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Saudi Arabia, if you are a local hire, you have the right to ask for Iqama transfer. But you are better off asking your current employer for transfer when you finish you contract and do your time; otherwise, it is going to be resignation and in that case you only get two thirds of your end-of-service gratuity, of course, IF your employer accepted to release you, which is not very common.

The ministry of labour issues a limited number of visa depending on the business size. So, if your employer accepted your request for visa transfer, it means losing a visa, which is usually very hard for employers to allow. It IS CONVOLUTED, so you need to know more about the complexity of your move before stepping further.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: