Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISTEK - avoid at all costs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
askaliberal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: ISTEK - avoid at all costs Reply with quote

Okay, Istek is tempting; they offer about the best pay in Istanbul. But that's about the only thing that is good (or true). Every question we asked at the interview got a lie for an answer. I wish I could blame it on language or cultural differences, but an American sat there the whole time, never correcting the answers, or responding to our questions. So there is no doubt in my mind that they will say anything to get you to sign up.

I feel they are very arrogant, thinking, "Oh, when they get to Turkey, they'll love it so much it won't matter that they're not teaching what we promised, or that the job doesn't exist. "

This recently happened to a friend at another school; it's not hearsay, she just quit because of the incident: She got a urinary tract infection (had been to the dr. was on antibiotics) and was caught sitting down in class...one of the vice principals rounded up all the cleaners & took all the chairs out of her class so she couldn't sit (took the students' chairs too!). When she showed her note & medicine they still didn't believe her.

They'll tell you over & over that the Istek foundation is very wealthy...but don't ever count on seeing even 1YTL...art teachers who can't get art supplies, libraries that can't order books, asking for paperclips gets you ONE paperclip, no, we don't have any staplers left, no wifi, no internet connection for students, no printers for students. The parents are being SOOO ripped off.

We were told the first week that we weren't really expected to do much...just be 'window dressing' so that the parents wouldn't complain about tuition increases. This is fine if all you want is to live in Turkey, but we're here for careers; we don't really think Turkey is that interesting.

They keep saying Istek is changing (it wants to be an IB school), but unless they fire 90% of the staff that is entrenched (foreigners & Turks both), that will never happen.

This has really shaken our faith in Search Associates, too, which is supposed to be a respected recruiter...but because Istek gives lots of $$ to SA, and even sponsors a job fair here in Turkey, SA seems to turn a blind eye to the fact that Istek cannot fulfill any of its promises with regards to good educational principles.

Shocking, criminal, irresponsible, these are just a few of the adjectives bandied about by my co-workers.
zencefil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first year teaching at Istek, and I'm pleased so far. Yes, there were a few broken promises, but I believe the people who made them are sincere with good intentions. Seems there are a lot of politics behind the scenes which make it hard to deliver. We've worked around everything and found a way to make it work. Seems these problems are also typical in almost everything Turkish though, not just schools- I mean being told one thing and a totally different thing happening, a failure to communicate and understand the simplest of things, etc...I've gotten used to it, but I can understand the frustration for a newcomer. You've got to be very flexible and have a good sense of humor to survive!

In any case, I have high respect for my fellow teachers and most of the management. I'm frequently asked how its going and they care and want to make it better. My department has excess of what we need- never a problem getting copies, blu-tac, poster board, whatever. This is my situation at my location. Apparently the locations vary in quality.

I'm in it for the children and my career. If the kids are truly learning and the atmosphere is a positive and healthy one, I can take some inconvenience because I know it can be the same or worse elsewhere.
askaliberal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: broken promises, filthy bathrooms Reply with quote

When the broken promises are what your career is hinging on, it's very hard to make the best of things...Istek count on foreigners giving up and saying, "well, I'll put up with this." I'm not--I don't want to spend a year or two WASTING time because they never had any intention of delivering what they promised. Based on the system that is in place now, those promises (which are in my contract) could never be met.

And did I mention the bathrooms that are rarely cleaned? Even the most basic functions of a school are not met. It's shocking how they take parents' $$ but don't seem to care about meeting even the basic needs of the students & faculty.
askaliberal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: DO NOT (repeat!) DO NOT bring your children here Reply with quote

4 different families brought school-age children here and were told that
a) Istek is an international school and the language used in the school is English
b) the program is IB

None of the above are true! Imagine arriving with your children and finding out just days before school starts that the schools are essentially state schools (Turkish curriculum) and 90% of classes are taught in Turkish.

Promises to enroll the children in REAL international schools never pan out, either because there are no spaces left or (more likely) because Istek wouldn't spend that kind of money, ever.

What's most shocking about this is the same thing happened last year (07-08 school year). When the interviewers headed off to the Search Associates job fairs in spring 2008, they were implored not to hire teachers with children. To once again demonstrate Istek's complete disregard for its employees, they went ahead and did it again.
aziyade

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: More recriminations.... Reply with quote

Well, let me say that I do completely feel the same about Istek and their broken promises. They have let down quite a few people it seems, including me.

I never had the chance to teach the subject I was supposed to be teaching (a secondary language ). Although it stipulates in my contract that I was recruited for that particular skill. Never mind. I am fine with being a primary English teacher. I have the qualifications.

I have been given 4 different levels ( 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th ) and 24 teaching periods. I can cope with the workload no problem. But what I cannot get used to is having to spend most of the teaching time in classroom management. I feel I am not equipped to handle those kids. It seems to be all about discipline. I am not enjoying one moment of it.

I have attended the orientation session last August and perhaps have met you ? During one seminar, a female Turkish professor ( whose name I clean forgot, sorry ) gave us an introduction on cultural specificities and the 3 Ps. ( Passion, Pride and Politics ) as a way to introduce us to the fundamental elements of Turkisness. A fine speech. Sitting at the front row, I happened to be right next to her teenage daughter. During breaktime, we started to chat and she told me that she was a high school student in a non-Turkish school offering a European curriculum. Her mother did not think Istek was good enough for her own daughter to be educated in one of their own lisesi. Perhaps not.

Anyway, it is good to know that other people feel the same.
nomad22

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: istek Reply with quote

all of what has been said is and can be true. the problem is, that even though all the schools are ISTEK schools they might as well be all individual schools. there's nothing similar about the schools except the bad behaviour of the children. some schools have materials, some have half decent management, some completely suck. everything depends on the principals and how nice or nasty they are. the vakif is overloaded with unnecessary tasks - consummed by ridiculous turkish redtape and other facade fixing, substance lacking duties - and really ineffective when it comes to needing help or an ear. it's simply pot luck as to where you end up on arrival. but it's 12 mths pay for really just 8 1/2 mths teaching, that's pretty good. and there's a reason for that; it's tough!!!! hang in there, and remember that teaching abroad will always test your patience!
askaliberal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Teach anywhere but Turkey/Istek?! Reply with quote

Don't tell me teaching abroad is tough. This is my 5th country and 17th year overseas. Istek is the worst by far. And the money isn't that great either!

And about the $500 US shipping allowance. We don't know anyone who's EVER received it. We dutifully turned ours in in September along with all the forms. We're still waiting for it and were calling, trying to get some help, when we mentioned it to a friend who came here last year ('07)...she still hasn't seen hers, gave up after 6 months.

There are so many levels on which they lie to you and screw things up and make it difficult for you to teach. It really is not about the students at Istek, it's about how to hold onto your job or how to make life unpleasant for someone else.
aziyade

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: What's the point ? Reply with quote

Ok, so we all know by now that Istek management is not reliable....but the question is : what can be done about it ? How can things be changed ?

Posting endless warnings in teachers' forum like this one doesn't help at the end of the day.

We can be supportive of one another as colleagues and fellow expats and then ?????

I am not happy with my lot. You are not happy with your lot. So should we shut up and put up ? Or do something about it? I am talking about a concerted planned group action.

Perhaps a petition would be a good start. We could start by surveying all foreign teachers working for Istek. When you think about it, it is amazing how little we know about other teachers from other branches.

My point is : there's no point talking about it, unless we do something about it. What do you say ?
davidxmastree

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: You're kidding, right?! Reply with quote

A petition?! What a laugh. Do you really think that would make a difference? They would ignore it and probably put the person in charge of the petition on probation for saying things aren't perfect.

Remember, it's a business and they don't care about the students...and if they don't care about the students why should they care about the teachers?!

Hi Michael!!
aziyade

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Do you have something else to say ? Reply with quote

Hi fellow miserable Istek teacher,

Or are you not so miserable because there's a fat pay cheque coming up very soon....plus paid holidays....yes it is worth putting up with all the crap that we're being fed.

Let's shut up and put up, shall we baby ?

Have a good week
frednight42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: avoid ISTEK at all cost Reply with quote

I worked at ISTEK for two years. It is a kind of school for teachers who are desperate for a year or so. There is no future. A colleague worked there for 7 years with the same wages. They knew she would not move somewhere else as she was married a Turkish husband. They promised me also some package but it never happened. The school however has continuous PD wokshops and seminars which would lead you to be a competent teacher.
aziyade

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: On competency and civilization Reply with quote

Assuming that we all are competent, dedicated and committed teachers, it is, of course, always necessary to have on-going seminars on teachers'development and so forth but I have seen none of it happening so far. Maybe in another branch of Istek where the management is a little more supportive ( ? ). It seems that we don't get the same treatment everywhere. I am aware to have landed a bad deal at my branch. But will try to cope with my present situation as best as I can under very unpleasant circumstances. Am thinking of leaving Turkey too. Have very little to keep me here finally. I miss civilization.
zencefil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in one of the better branches but in the end we are all the same school, same books and generally the same students and problems. We can indeed help each other to share resources and ideas. Anyone out there, feel free to PM me your email address and we keep in touch this way. Remember, if you are not part of the soultion...
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty sad tale and happens in EVERY teaching establishment. I'm not a militant person, but the only way teachers generally can improve their lot is to have a voice that employers have to listen to. Even more sad despite the fact that this country has European aspirations this movement in the workplace has yet to happen. The laws in this country are an obstacle, but the biggest in my opinion is the indifference of our co-workers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: