Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Escuela Bilingue Honduras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kibeth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Escuela Bilingue Honduras Reply with quote

I have seen this school post a few times. I am thinking of applying there. Has anyone worked for them or does anyone know anything about this school?
kibeth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone give me any advice on living in Honduras? I think I am going to accept the job there, but I would like to know a little more about what living will be like. I have lived in Ecuador, but never in a central American country.
MamaOaxaca

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honduras is not one of the most popular English teaching destinations, you've probably figured that out by now right? I've never been to Honduras specifically, but probably your time in Ecuador will be useful preparation. For example, I imagine that you will see armed guards outside of banks and other businesses, like in Ecuador and other Latin American countries. That is something that usually surprises visitors, but your previous experience will prepare you for it.
Expect to find some different vocabulary in Spanish, most likely in food names. Depending on what city you were in in Ecuador, the climate could be either very different or very similar. I knew some people in the US from Honduras and their Spanish was what I think of as "Costal" which I've seen in several countries, the people on the coast speak faster and are more likely to drop a final s and run words together.
You should try the Lonely Plant Thorntree boards to get opinions from people who have travelled in Honduras.

Happy Trails!!! and once you get there check back in, the position of Dave's Honduras Expert is open. Wink
kibeth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Smile
DOGGIE

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Escuela bilingue Honduras Reply with quote

Kibeth
word to the wise
Comayagua is small, really small ,,plan on being on busses the whole time to see any of Honduras
...the roads aren't bad but the driving skills, attitudes and overall safety are something that you must get used to, if you survive...
on the other hand I met my wife down here and like most of Honduras
you must expect the "H" factor

EBH sucks,,but I think all private, Honduran schools do because they are in business for business,,,money does come first
also, parents will defend their children to the point of absurdity
the students talk non-stop which is partially cultural
they are a tough group to motivate because many of the student's have secure futures and do not see education as something that will increase their value in the workplace...school is more a place to socialize

EBH regularily loses teachers throughout the year and you will be expected to cover for the missing teachers, few are hired mid-year.

Sorry, I just wouldn't do it,,,,,there has to be a better locale and pay package, unless you are without certification as are most of the hires there.
Then, all's fair in.....
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Escuela bilingue Honduras Reply with quote

DOGGIE wrote:
Kibeth
on the other hand I met my wife down here and like most of Honduras
you must expect the "H" factor

EBH sucks,,but I think all private, Honduran schools do because they are in business for business,,,money does come first

EBH regularily loses teachers throughout the year and you will be expected to cover for the missing teachers, few are hired mid-year.

First of all what's the H factor? Secondly, this being your first post I have trouble taking what you say at face value.
nineisone

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also wondering what the "H" factor is?

My experience traveling in Honduras is that it is rife with corruption so I would not be surprised if this extended to the schools as well. The area between Tegus and SPS where the school in question is located, is quite remote. Didn't appear to be a lot of entertainment options.

I applied about a year ago to all the listed schools I could find and did my research. Tegus, the capital, has ESL positions filled primarily by volunteers from Religious based colleges in the U.S. San Pedro Sula, the largest city has lang. institutes and a small ESL market but is a very violent city, comparable to San Salvador but with fewer nicer areas. Also very hot. Tegus more pleasant with a higher altitude. The coast, La Ceiba, Tela, etc....have lots of tourists but not many opportunities.

As far as the schools, I have no experience with any, but based on the replies I did get, I sensed two things: desperation and complete and utter disorganization, even by Latin American standards.
MELEE

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't scare off the new posters!
I think you're being to hard on him, we need more people to post of this board, not less.
The "H" factor is obviously remembering that this is Hondurous we are talking about and don't expect things to work like they do back home.

I think Doogie would do well to pay closer attention to the dates of posts. He recommends Kbeth not take a job at this school, but she first posted about it on Feb. 20th! I'm sure she is either already there working or long decided not to go.
DOGGIE

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Escuela Bilingue Hondo...and people Reply with quote

as a "new poster" I am hardly "scared off" or put off by certain people who would discount three years in-country Honduras and one year at the school in question, ...as to the "H" factor, yes it is the always present, but only sometimes disturbing idea that what may seem logical to a Honduran will not make sense to you,...as to whether I was tardy in my reply to Kibeth, I would refer to the dates again to make sure you read carefully, I don't think Beth is here yet...and, finally, it's Doggie, not Doogie...he's a T.V. character...I'm just a character
Sgt Killjoy

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Doggie and nineisone are pretty spot on about Honduras. I actually lived in Honduras..don't go there if you want to earn any kind of money. Any work there has to be considered volunteer. If I recall right, EBH won't even offer a legitimate visa, they tell you to work on a tourist visa. I dont know if that has changed or not, but that was previously the reality.
ls650

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt Killjoy wrote:
don't go there if you want to earn any kind of money.

Much the same could be said about pretty much every country in Latin America. Confused
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt Killjoy wrote:
I think Doggie and nineisone are pretty spot on about Honduras. I actually lived in Honduras..don't go there if you want to earn any kind of money. Any work there has to be considered volunteer. If I recall right, EBH won't even offer a legitimate visa, they tell you to work on a tourist visa. I dont know if that has changed or not, but that was previously the reality.

Many places here in LA have you work on a tourist visa.
misterbrownpants

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: i hear its tough there Reply with quote

hi there as i was reading through this thread - i assume that you are already there? well i have a friend of mine - my old roomate from first year uni. who is in honduras.. at that school i think.. it is her first ezperience living away from canada.. and she hates it.. shes been there 10 months.. is going to stick it out.. but hates every day more and more the students give her a hard time almost always.. the admin of the school is invisible.. and there is nthing to do in the town. plus apparently it is danergous.. so wel.. i hope you find it better than her
but there are alot of la. countries that you can have a great experience and get paid - you just have to look for them!
pollitatica

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about that specific school, but I teach in La Ceiba, Honduras at the Episcopal School here. I work on a tourist visa, but the school has a lawyer that renews it every 90 days (and pays for it). I don't make a lot of money, but didn't come to Honduras to make money. It really depends on what kind of person you are whether or not you will be happy in Honduras. I love it here. Any questions that I may be of help with, please let me know.

Katrina
katrinina (at) yahoo (dot) com
DOGGIE

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: more EBH...and HondoWorld Reply with quote

wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea, overall I've had a positive experience in Honduras and plan on staying....just that there has to be a better situation to teach in besides an environment where the slightest attempt at order and classroom decorum is met, most often, with more noise...but I press on as I am sure most of you do...Mr. Browntrousers...your friend Sara is just a (?) teacher in that she refuses to get out of her seat and teach with a hands on approach and therefore she spends all her free time talking about what "...little shits..." they are...
so KiBeth,,,what'er ya thinkin' now?...word to the wise some teachers had items stolen from apts....not so upsetting until the school made no attempt to reimburse or provide additional security measures...until the second robbery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: