Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advise=African American Graduate with no teaching experience

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oriley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Advise=African American Graduate with no teaching experience Reply with quote

I am a recent college graduate and i am seriously entertaing the thought of going to teach/possibly start a small business in brazil.....I have never been to brazil, so i wanted to find out some info.I have a bachelors degree. I am hoping to save some money if economy gets better before i arrive, however i also need info about coming in with little or no cash.......thanks in advance:

1. Are there m/any african americans men teaching in brazil?
2.Info on transportation....expensive or getting a car?
3.cost of living and currency exchange?
4. How quick can i get a job with no teaching experience or tefl certificate?
5.Internet access and connectivity..

Anymore advice will be much appreciated

Thanks
Amani Renas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Advise=African American Graduate with no teaching experi Reply with quote

oriley wrote:
I am a recent college graduate and i am seriously entertaing the thought of going to teach/possibly start a small business in brazil.....I have never been to brazil, so i wanted to find out some info.I have a bachelors degree. I am hoping to save some money if economy gets better before i arrive, however i also need info about coming in with little or no cash.......thanks in advance:

Thanks

Why are you in such a rush to get to Brazil? It seems like you may be underestimating just how hard it might be to relocate entirely to another country.

I would suggest trying to get some experience in teaching, either at a volunteer agency in your country of origin, or even through an online course (there are some fairly inexpensive ones out there, if you do a simple google search).

What type of BA did you graduate with? Perhaps you can use that as a selling point for getting a job.

I think that it would be rally simple for you to do a Google search on the rest of your questions.

Good luck!
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Advise=African American Graduate with no teaching experi Reply with quote

oriley wrote:

Thanks

I think you'll struggle going down without much money to start. That is basically what I did, and I certainly had a tough time financially down there. However, I loved Brazil immensily and would repeat the experience in a nano-second, and next time would plan it out much more.

Regarding a car....you can get by Brazil easily without a car. I wouldn't want one down there. Public transportation is much better than the U.S., and everyone uses it.

African-Americans and teaching English...there probably there, but I am unsure. Actually, i didn't meet many ESL teachers down there at all in general. I had a strong willpower to just go to Brazil, and I did. But most were expats working for companies and such. Surviving down there as an ESL teacher certainly takes discipline and determination, because living from paycheck to paycheck in another country is a bit of challenge. This is mainly because without knowing Portuguese when I went down there, you really have to use all your mental skills to do what you need to do. I studied Portuguese every spare moment I got, and obviously I wished I'd had got started with that well prior to having gone down there.

Internet. I was living there from 1997-1998...so before internet revolution. But I've been abroad most of the last 13 years...and generally speaking, internet is dirt cheap and plentiful in just about every country in the world except for the U.S. and perhaps Japan. Don't know why in the U.S. they charge you a small fortune to access the internet. I'd imagine if Brazil is anywhere like the rest of the world outside of U.S./Japan, it'll be plentiful and less than a $1/hour, or perhaps half of that...but that is pure guesswork.

No teaching experience and no certificate. Well, it goes without saying that it would be easier WITH the teaching experience in particular. Often times if someone doesn't have experience already, the certificate can say you've made a small step in that direction, or considered it before.

Quickly, I'll give a short version of my story. I went down there with NOTHING monetary. However i did have a BA, a year teaching and a certificate before arrival. I struggled with stuff financially throughout...but I was able to get work. But it was running all over Sao Paulo spending subway fares and having to eat out as I was running around so much. So having money for the 'bed' that I rented out monthly in a large house with 40 Brazilians, was a bit of a challenge. In the end, I ended up getting a mailbox down there...and applying to American credit cards using my parents address...and then when I got one, they sent me my credit card, and later got by with that and had to use it for travel expenses and such, until later when I was back in the U.S., I could pay off that debt. Obviously I wished I'd done it bit differently. In addition, Americans are only good for 6 months out of a 12 month period. I stayed my full 6 months possible, and once I left the country, my understanding is I couldn't go back until the year was up. I have heard of others however, who just never left. They later dealt with the consequences, and I don't know what those consequences were, but that was the choice they made.

Hope any of this helps! Good luck with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: