Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

work in Munich around May and freelance questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smillan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: work in Munich around May and freelance questions Reply with quote

Hi, I'll be moving to Munich in May. I've been teaching for nine and a half years (6 years in Spain, 3 in Ireland and am Celta qualified). Coming at the beginning of the summer, is there much work around this time?

How does Munich compare to other cities in Germany as far as teaching is concerned?

Also, being freelance, how much does one have to pay per month for this? Does it depend on the amount one earns per month?

Thanks in advance for any information.
gmjones

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got pretty much the same resume as you and am working near Munich, been here 4 months. It is my second stint in Germany, where I began my career in TEFL 9 years ago. I would say that coming at the beginning of summer is a tricky time because you totally rule out university work (the best paid after business, but which you can only get on a freelance basis, unless you have a masters/phd and happen to get in touch with somewhere with a vacancy). You also rule out Volkshochschule courses, unless you get in touch with them now and tell them you're coming, and suggest something interesting for their broschures: I'm in Ulm and my Volkshochschule will advertise summer courses if you have an original idea, like a business and breakfast English course or something.

Do you speak German? You'll need it to get business classes which is, the economic crisis not affecting German much more, where you're going to make any money. Long term you need to get in touch with comanies, but cos of summer hols I don't think things will take off much until Sept/Oct.

If you want any summer work I would get in touch with chain language schools like inlingua or the like: the pay is useless but it'll get something in the bank and contact with other teachers who may help you get some more lucrative work.

I don't know how rent is there but I would imagine in Munich it will be very expensive. Your best best, even if it's just short term, is to get a shared flat ( Wohngemeinshaft) looking in local papers, the universities, or at the Mitwohnzentrale (but they will charge you a month's rent if you find somewhere, for facilitating it).

Starting off in Germany is, if you go through all the right channels, a really expensive process. You'll have to pay health insurance unless you get it at home, and pension, as well as tax, cutting your salary by 50% (however if you are only here for a year or two, then most people tend to overlook all that and take a chance...)

Hope all goes well, if I can give any more advice, let me know!
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmjones wrote:
Hi,

I've got pretty much the same resume as you and am working near Munich, been here 4 months.

I don't know how rent is there but I would imagine in Munich it will be very expensive.

Starting off in Germany is, if you go through all the right channels, a really expensive process. You'll have to pay health insurance unless you get it at home, and pension, as well as tax, cutting your salary by 50% (however if you are only here for a year or two, then most people tend to overlook all that and take a chance...)

Here we go.
So you live near Munich but don't know about rent? How�s that? Not so long ago, some numpty on here lauded Germany as a cheap place to live and later on admitted she lived rent free with her boyfriend. I reckon Monaco would be quite a bargain, Beverley Hills no doubt a snip too, when some sugar daddy foots the rent.
Munich�s not impossible, but there�s not enough accommodation to go round. Prices are humungous, and you can�t be fussy because if you dillydally, ten other people will move in ahead of you. I found a place in Munich in a couple of days, but it was like a military operation to do it. When I finally found a place, I said I wanted it, I wanted it and I wanted it.
When the landlady said I should phone in the morning, I phoned at six and said I want it, I want it and I want it. When I went to her house that same morning to sign contracts, her phone was going non stop with people wanting to see this apartment. If I had to go to Germany again as a teacher, I�d choose any number of places before Munich.
(Cue the East Germany teachers here. In Dresden or Leipzig, apartments are veritable palaces at 200 Euros a month, you can eat out every night for a euro and dogs all come over and lick your hand.)
It�s not all gloom. The rental laws (B�rgerliches Gesetzbuch Mietrecht) are a joke. The tenant has it all. All you have to do is google the above, altavista it into English and you will know far more than 99% of German landlords or the rip-off agents. There are also rental associations who help out (if you become a member) so anyone getting shafted by a German landlord is either very unlucky or a bit dim.
As for health insurance, I pay 260 Euros a month with a German company, and I am a fine specimen in my thirties. I plan to stay in Germany for a long time, which is relevant here. German insurance rates tend to start high and stay fairly stable, whereas expat policies go up year after year as you get older. You decide.
As for tax and pension, as a teacher forget it. You will starve to death. Do not register at the local town hall; no one will ever bother you about tax.
gmjones

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Ulm, an hourish away from munich, and rent per flat is about 400 euros for somewhere very small, bills not included. I have no idea about rent in Munich itself because I don't live there... I have heard it's horrifically expensive.

I am registered with the town hall because I plan to stay here without getting into any trouble... the various institutions do, however unlikely it seems, have contact with each other. When registering to pay pension, which is backdated to the day you register, they foud a social security number which was apointed to me 12 years ago when I did a three month work placement for my university. If people come to Germany for a year, maybe two, and want to take the risk, then it's perfectly possible to avoid paing taxes, however register anywhere and it can very possibly be traced. I know even of a case where the British tax dept was able to trace income not declared in Germany. If you want to work here above board it's a difficult and expensive start, but in my opinion worth it long term.
cps82856

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully I'm not hijacking this thread, but my questions are related to the OP's.

I too am contemplating a move to Munich (for freelance work) and am trying to figure out how much of a bankroll I should bring to get set up. What amount would get me going (assuming a lag time of 1-2 months for a steady income stream) with the permit, pension, health insurance, and a smallish apartment. (Not interested in sharing since I'm too old and set in my ways to adapt to a roommate.) I have a simple lifestyle so economizing wouldn't be a problem for me.

Someone mentioned that half the income (as a freelancer) would go toward taxes/pension/health insurance and I was wondering if others agreed.

Thanks for the input and once again, my apologies if I've hijacked the thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: