Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA or Trinity TESOL Course in Italy--Suggestions? Timing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvilTwin2000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: CELTA or Trinity TESOL Course in Italy--Suggestions? Timing? Reply with quote

From what I've read, most folks here seem to think that CELTA is a bit over-praised and over-priced. But CELTA and the Trinity TESOL seem to be the two certifications that answer more questions than they raise when you're looking for a job. And I'm looking in Italy, so I'm looking to do a CELTA or Trinity TESOL course there.

Has anyone taken CELTA or TrinityTESOL in Italy? If so, where, and how was the experience? Perhaps most importantly, how helpful was the school in providing contacts to potential employers (and what calibre of employers)?

I'm looking especially for feedback about International House Rome and Cambridge School of English in Verona. I would think/hope that International House would have many contacts within Italy, since they're the only school in Rome offerring CELTA. But I'd rather live north of Rome, so Cambridge School in Verona would geographically situate me closer to where I want to work. I'm not dismissing outright the two schools offerring CELTA in Milan, but neither of them offer help with housing and I have to wonder if this is a reflection of their interest in their students' overall experience.

Also, any suggestions as to timing? I'm leaning toward a summer course so that I've got time to mount a job search. But this would also leave me footloose in Italy for at least a couple months and that could get pricey. But taking one of the late summer/early fall courses seems too close to the beginnng of the fall semester, when many positions may have already been filled.

Any and all advice is welcome, on or off-list. Thanks very much.

By the way I'm American, late 40's, with an EU passport in the works (thanks, dad for being Irish) with a Master's in English and experience teaching English composition on the community college level.
Rosaria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Celta course in Naples, that is in the South of Italy, that usually takes place between July and August. See below:

http://www.britishcouncil.org/italy-english-naples-celta-course.htm

I hope it helps!
EvilTwin2000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A month in Naples in mid-summer....hmmm, somehow I get the sense I'd never stop perspiring. Might be a good way to lose a few pounds!

More to the point: CELTA in Naples is 300 Euro more expensive than CELTA in Verona.

Nevertheless, thanks for the suggestion!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: