Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egypt Job Options

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carolinachristy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Egypt Job Options Reply with quote

I am thinking about teaching in Egypt when my contract is up and was wondering what my job options are. I have a BA in English, an online TEFL, 6 months teaching in Mexico and a year teaching in Korea.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limited but not extinct. You'd have to take a job teaching k-12 kids in a language school. The salaries are liveable, but not great. If money is important to you, then I would suggest staying in Korea. Culturally, Egypt is a phenomenal experience.
carolinachristy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Are there any schools you would recommend applying at? I'm definatelty more interested in a cultural experience than in making money. I'm missing Mexico a lot now that I'm in Seoul.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choueifat/Sabis-pay in US dollars-around $1600/month. They'll buy your tickets for you and arrange everything. Down side? Kinda restrictive curriculum and the shared accommodation is on campus in the middle of nowhere. The school provides regular transport to a couple neighbouring suburbs after school and at the weekends. Nice kids up to grade 6.

Sakkara Language School: Salary is closer to 4000 Egyptian pounds. Kids are comparable to Choueifat, but the curriculum has more wiggle room for creative teachers. Shared accommodation is provided in the suburb of Maadi (likely in New Nerco-cheap part of Maadi). Downside: Sakkara, like a lot of language schools, will tell you to buy your own plane ticket, reimbursing you w/ half upon arrival and the remainder at the end of your contract. Some language schools will also delay getting you the proper work visa which affects your eligibility as a resident (aside from being illegal). Residents travel for less around Egypt than non-residents.

There are LOADS of new schools opening up, and many are riddled w/ problems. I recommend these two because I've worked for one and friends have worked for the other. I would guess that both are hiring for August starts.
carolinachristy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot!
minus36

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Alexandria Reply with quote

Did you consider working in ALexandria? there are some international schools there too... I might know one or two
reneebcc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Alexandria vs Cairo Reply with quote

Are there better opportunities in Alexandria than Cairo? Since the school year starts around August, what are the best schools to apply at?
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Alexandria vs Cairo Reply with quote

reneebcc wrote:
Are there better opportunities in Alexandria than Cairo? Since the school year starts around August, what are the best schools to apply at?

No...Alex offers much less in the way of teaching opportunities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: