Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job Outlook in EU for Americans?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheJohnson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Job Outlook in EU for Americans? Reply with quote

As an American citizen with no current experience (I'm currently gathering experience and a CELTA cert) is there ANY chance of obtaining a legal work visa and a job in any of the EU countries?

I've read on here the prospectus for doing so is extremely minimal, especially with minimal qualifications/experience.

IF there IS a chance to secure a position in the EU, what is it, aside from marrying a member of the EU?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the 'new' EU member states, such as Poland and the Czech Rep, Slovakia, etc. still do issue work visas to North Americans. It's a serious hassle, and expensive, but do-able.

Western Europe is essentially out of the question, barring some work/study program sponsored by your US university.
AdamtheJohnson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:

Western Europe is essentially out of the question, barring some work/study program sponsored by your US university.

I havent considered that. I wonder what the timetable for it is though.

Also, Im not against working illegally. If it's a choice between never seeing Western Europe or living and working there illegally, with the risk of deportation and excommunication for five years, I'll take the latter if it means at least a few good months.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can travel in Western Europe legally for up to 90 days. It's a better option.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the standard 'excommunication' these days is 10 years, actually...
AdamtheJohnson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
You can travel in Western Europe legally for up to 90 days. It's a better option.

90 days, leave for a day, then return?
jonniboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. 90 days, leave for 90 days then return (per the Schengen agreement.) If you can't show proof of sufficient funds to support yourself second time round you might have difficulties.

Numerous Eastern countries are doable, I know two American teachers working here legally whereas in Spain it was next to impossible for most of them.
AdamtheJohnson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonniboy wrote:
Nope. 90 days, leave for 90 days then return (per the Schengen agreement.) If you can't show proof of sufficient funds to support yourself second time round you might have difficulties.

Numerous Eastern countries are doable, I know two American teachers working here legally whereas in Spain it was next to impossible for most of them.

Such as?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poland, Czech Rep, Slovakia, Hungary (not sure about this one), Latvia, obviously, and most of the other 'new' EU member states, which you can google. If you narrow down your target countries, we can give you better actual information.
ITTP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Most of the 'new' EU member states, such as Poland and the Czech Rep, Slovakia, etc. still do issue work visas to North Americans. It's a serious hassle, and expensive, but do-able.

I can write objectively about the current situation in the Czech Republic.
We are finding that our N.American clients obtain work visas as easily as they did before. The only 'hassle' is waiting to collect the visa and you should pencil out a whole day for this. Otherwise, the CZ entrance to Schengen has had little effect and grads are still able to leave the country and return on multiple trips even without a work visa.
Technically this is not possible anymore but ask anyone who is actually from N.America and actually teaching in Prague now and they will write the same.
So, speaking from personal experience, N.Americans are still in high demand here in CZ and are still encouraged to teach.
The work visa is not expensive.
If you opt for the business license (optional), then this IS expensive.

I do however agree with Spiral that finding legit work in Western Europe is extremely difficult. It is however still doable.
Recently, one of our grads headed for Paris and began teaching within 4 weeks of arrival. He was very lucky though to find work so quickly and for such a great school.

Vesele Vanoce!/Happy Christmas!

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Jungmannova 32
Prague 1
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neville, that guy in Paris isn't an American, I wouldn't think? It's not fair to imply to the American OP in this thread that he/she can find work in Western Europe on a US passport. It's really unrealistic.

And I'm glad to hear that the visa process in CR for Americans is still not too onerous. My contacts in some other countries in the region have recently had very different stories.
ITTP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Neville, that guy in Paris isn't an American, I wouldn't think? It's not fair to imply to the American OP in this thread that he/she can find work in Western Europe on a US passport. It's really unrealistic.

And I'm glad to hear that the visa process in CR for Americans is still not too onerous. My contacts in some other countries in the region have recently had very different stories.

Hi Spiral.

Yep, the guy in Paris is from the USA.
I did write that he was lucky to find work so quickly and for such a great school.
I also did write that I agree with you that it is very difficult to find well-paid and legal teaching work in W.Europe if you are from N.America. This is especially so for Spain and Italy BUT it IS still doable (but SO much more difficult than finding work in Prague for example).

Could you pos PM me Spiral or write here which other local countries locally in the region are difficult to find work in? Thank you.
I'm aware it is still very easy to find work in Poland/Slovakia/Ukraine.
Also of course in the Czech Republic.

Enjoy the holidays and take some time off the forums Wink

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Jungmannova 32
Prague 1

Last edited by ITTP on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
ITTP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:

Just wanted to question why you would think the work visa process expensive? (especially now that schools are helping out more and more).
Could you breakdown the costs for the application process for us all?
Thank you.

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Jungmannova 32
Prague 1
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neville, I'm not spending my holidays debating with you. You're obviously entitled to your rosy outlook on the situation for North Americans in Europe.

My experience and contacts don't entirely agree with the rosy outlook, and I'll continue as I have for years now to post as realistic information for newbies as I can.

I've earned a right to do this, having more than 12 years of experience in the region and contacts and friends and acquaintances in the field all over Europe.

The OP, like all newbies, is obviously free to take on whatever advice he/she wishes to.

Now, I'll bow out of this thread, to avoid the endless detailed debates we've got embroiled in in the past.

I expect that other posters will contribute to the thread, and an objective picture will arise as different perspectives are given.
ITTP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Neville, I'm not spending my holidays debating with you. You're obviously entitled to your rosy outlook on the situation for North Americans in Europe.

My experience and contacts don't entirely agree with the rosy outlook, and I'll continue as I have for years now to post as realistic information for newbies as I can.

I've earned a right to do this, having more than 12 years of experience in the region and contacts and friends and acquaintances in the field all over Europe.

The OP, like all newbies, is obviously free to take on whatever advice he/she wishes to.

Now, I'll bow out of this thread, to avoid the endless detailed debates we've got embroiled in in the past.

I expect that other posters will contribute to the thread, and an objective picture will arise as different perspectives are given.

So, you can't outline the costs involved in obtaining the work visa?
Even though you described them as being 'expensive'.
That's ok.
When I am back from my holidays I'll happily do so.
Once again, I share your view that it is difficult for non-EU teachers to find work in W.Europe but it is doable but not nearly as easy as it is in Prague.

Yes, I am also entitled to post my opinion having lived in Prague for over 12 years. Having begun as a teacher, moved onto a language school/full-time with TEFL.

I think I share the opinions of others Spiral when I write that your opinion is extremely valuable on these forums. You often provide realistic and factual info. However, not always.
When I see something posted which is incorrect I feel that correcting a point should be welcomed and not seen purely as designed to create a 'debate'.
Once again though, you are entitled to your opinion and your input is often excellent.
Thank you.

Hey, you have a lovely Xmas too Spiral and I will also take some time off now to enjoy Xmas.
Having just returned from Colombia I need the rest Smile

A wonderful Xmas to you all and peace and love on forums in 2009!

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Jungmannova 32
Prague 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: