Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The World TEFL School in Phnom Penh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwlivingstone2706

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: The World TEFL School in Phnom Penh Reply with quote

Hi,

Has anyone any information about this TEFL ESOL course in Cambodia run by the World TEFL School.

I'm heading to Cambodia before the end of June and I want to take a good TEFL Certificate course then teach.

http://www.worldteflschool.com/tefl_courses/Why_Us.html
http://www.worldteflschool.com/tefl_courses/Course_Details.

If that one is no good can anyone recommend another course?

Thanks for any help
Philip
khmerhit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never heard of it---dont do it unless you know someone who can recommend it. you can do a celta in bangkok and vietnam i think, much better value than anything else, that is CELTA. Cool
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to keep writing on your threads Philip. Every time I search for Cambodia and Course, your threads appear.

Khmerit, would you recommend doing a course in Thailand, even if you wanted to work in Cambodia?

And is CELTA more worthwhile than TEFL? The CamTEFL looks pretty good, but I don't want to limit myself.
MrMrLuckyKhan

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, it would be hard to argue that any of those random 'tefl' courses could possibly be worth the same as a CELTA course. The prices seem to be about the same, and even my 97 year old great-grandmother has heard of the University of Cambridge, so to go with any other course seems silly to me. I'm not saying any of those other courses are worthless, just go with a course that you KNOW has world-wide recognition. Idea
brownpirate

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Prior to enrolling with CamTEFL, I was certain in my decision to obtain only a CELTA or Trinity TESOL certificate for all of the discussed reasons in this thread and others. Yes, there are plenty of "random" TEFL schools out there offering what can appear to be a sometimes rather insulting product (IMHO). This is not to hard to sniff out when one is using common sense. But then I came upon CamTEFL.

If you check out the website for CamTEFL, you can see that it's not your run of the mill TEFL site. I won't elaborate here, you'll either see for yourself or you won't. It certainly demonstrates a heck of a lot more integrity than the likes of those "random" scams mentioned above. In this current course, we are eight students and two teachers - one a DELTA qualified CELTA/CELTYL teacher trainer, the other a Trinity TESOL teacher trainer. Though I am getting my butt kicked (as it is with TEFL courses), I am also feeling especially privileged to have gotten so lucky with the quality of teachers that I have.

While it isn't Cambridge or Trinity accreditation , CamTEFL has recently received accreditation from this organization:

http://www.collegeofteachers.ac.uk/

No, you may not have heard of it but....*if you've done your research on the source of all those other ridiculous and supposed accreditation organizations*, I think you'll see that this bona fide external party offers some credibility to this otherwise "random" TEFL course. No, it's not CELTA or TESOL, but I feel confident in the foundation I am building with this education and in its use around the world when I'm finished.

I'm a firm believer in standardization and can understand that CELTA and TESOL are the recognized names for sure - which is why that was my initial direction. (I do recall someone in a forum -here?- mentioning that they are not actually externally accrediting bodies, that they're simply accrediting their own schools or something like that...but that's irrelevant for me at this point.) I've also perused at least a hundred job postings and I've maybe come across one that excluded any non-CELTA certified teacher.

I have confidence in myself and believe I am employable and noticeably motivated. This coupled with a TEFL certificate that has provided me with exactly the foundation I set out for ---- if someone wants to weed me out against someone with a CELTA well....so be it. Yes, in the end I learned it was the curriculum focus (with faculty experience) I was going for above and beyond all else. What a concept. We, as TEFL students or potential students, all have different approaches we'll resonate with.

And yes, I do believe it's possible that a good non-CELTA/TESOL school can exist. There may not be many but *if you do your homework*, you may find one.
pwlivingstone2706

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: RE: CamTEFL.org ... Reply with quote

brownpirate wrote:
Hi there,

Prior to enrolling with CamTEFL, I was certain in my decision to obtain only a CELTA or Trinity TESOL certificate for all of the discussed reasons in this thread and others. Yes, there are plenty of "random" TEFL schools out there offering what can appear to be a sometimes rather insulting product (IMHO). This is not to hard to sniff out when one is using common sense. But then I came upon CamTEFL.

If you check out the website for CamTEFL, you can see that it's not your run of the mill TEFL site. I won't elaborate here, you'll either see for yourself or you won't. It certainly demonstrates a heck of a lot more integrity than the likes of those "random" scams mentioned above. In this current course, we are eight students and two teachers - one a DELTA qualified CELTA/CELTYL teacher trainer, the other a Trinity TESOL teacher trainer. Though I am getting my butt kicked (as it is with TEFL courses), I am also feeling especially privileged to have gotten so lucky with the quality of teachers that I have.

While it isn't Cambridge or Trinity accreditation , CamTEFL has recently received accreditation from this organization:

http://www.collegeofteachers.ac.uk/

No, you may not have heard of it but....*if you've done your research on the source of all those other ridiculous and supposed accreditation organizations*, I think you'll see that this bona fide external party offers some credibility to this otherwise "random" TEFL course. No, it's not CELTA or TESOL, but I feel confident in the foundation I am building with this education and in its use around the world when I'm finished.

I'm a firm believer in standardization and can understand that CELTA and TESOL are the recognized names for sure - which is why that was my initial direction. (I do recall someone in a forum -here?- mentioning that they are not actually externally accrediting bodies, that they're simply accrediting their own schools or something like that...but that's irrelevant for me at this point.) I've also perused at least a hundred job postings and I've maybe come across one that excluded any non-CELTA certified teacher.

I have confidence in myself and believe I am employable and noticeably motivated. This coupled with a TEFL certificate that has provided me with exactly the foundation I set out for ---- if someone wants to weed me out against someone with a CELTA well....so be it. Yes, in the end I learned it was the curriculum focus (with faculty experience) I was going for above and beyond all else. What a concept. We, as TEFL students or potential students, all have different approaches we'll resonate with.

And yes, I do believe it's possible that a good non-CELTA/TESOL school can exist. There may not be many but *if you do your homework*, you may find one.

Hi,

And thanks - yes I am considering that one... for a variety of reasons (such as British Council accredition etc):

Accredited TEFL Courses

I just have to decide whether to take my CELTA in HCMC then move to Cambodia to teach as I won't be able to get a work permit and teach in Vietnam (no degree) or go straight to Cambodia and take that course...

Thanks everyone for their replies - I have it narrowd down now to either Apollo Education or ILA in HCMC, or CAMTefl.org

Philip
MrMrLuckyKhan

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is camtefl that much cheaper that its worth losing world-wide recognition by not going with a CELTA? Accreditation is different than recognition, obviously, so why settle for just accreditation when you could have BOTH accreditation and recongition. Or does the course offer something above and beyond what the CELTA offers? Im honestly just wondering?

Also, for the SAME REASON it sounds good to hear you say 'one teacher is a Cambridge CELTA certified teacher and the other is a Trinity ESOL certified teacher,' it will also sound much better to hear that you have been certified to teach English through Cambridge or Trinity rather than through CAMtefl, TEFL Institute, or TEFL International.

All I'm saying is I fail to see the logic of getting a tefl cert through anyone else besides Cambridge or Trinity UNLESS you save a substantial amount of money AND/OR you honestly think the training you will receive will be BETTER (not just equal) to the training you will get through a CELTA or TESOL. Sounds like such a simple equation to me.

Just my 2 cents, please don't flame me Embarassed
brownpirate

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no worries and no flame MrMrLucky...

I debated this same thing - and it didn't come down to the cost ($1450 - I guess you didn't check out their website Wink). Yes, to have a CELTA would be grand. I believe in the personal motivations that drew me to CamTEFL however, and like choosing TEFL as a lifestyle snubs the mainstream, I guess I've also snubbed buying into the idea that only a CELTA carries world-wide recognition.

As I mentioned, I continue to peruse numerous job postings (world-wide) and I've maybe seen one in a hundred that requested a CELTA specifically, excluding any other certification. Most are looking for that or the equivalent - the equivalent is often stated as being TEFL certified. And maybe I'm way off on that - what do I know? Whatever. I'm not going to let those letters cancel out my personal interests in curriculum and methodologies that landed me where I am today. I don't think having a specific interest in these things, that placing importance on the content of what I learn will be a liability - even if it means I'm not CELTA certified.

I believe in how well I can present myself to a potential employer. If someone is going to weed me out by lack of a CELTA alone, well then I probably wouldn't want to work for them. But that's just me, just my two cents. And maybe I'm being silly, but I doubt it will kill my gumption - and I think this plays into things a fair amount. (I can say this with much positive life experience behind me as I'm now 41.)

But yeah, if someone needs all the help they can get or wants to ensure the best possible positions, then by all means get that university degree, get that CELTA, and get the job. You'll be the winner in the end. Don't do what I'm doing. I'm looking for something else entirely.
pwlivingstone2706

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMrLuckyKhan wrote:
Is camtefl that much cheaper that its worth losing world-wide recognition by not going with a CELTA? Accreditation is different than recognition, obviously, so why settle for just accreditation when you could have BOTH accreditation and recongition. Or does the course offer something above and beyond what the CELTA offers? Im honestly just wondering?

Also, for the SAME REASON it sounds good to hear you say 'one teacher is a Cambridge CELTA certified teacher and the other is a Trinity ESOL certified teacher,' it will also sound much better to hear that you have been certified to teach English through Cambridge or Trinity rather than through CAMtefl, TEFL Institute, or TEFL International.

All I'm saying is I fail to see the logic of getting a tefl cert through anyone else besides Cambridge or Trinity UNLESS you save a substantial amount of money AND/OR you honestly think the training you will receive will be BETTER (not just equal) to the training you will get through a CELTA or TESOL. Sounds like such a simple equation to me.

Just my 2 cents, please don't flame me Embarassed

Well -= I agree with the recognition, however I am concerned with the first teaching job, and as I won't be able to get a work permit for teching in Vietnam (no 3 year BA) I am really looking for the first years support and am more likely to get that from CAMTefl in the country where I'll be working than from ILA over the border in Vietnam...

My main issue is whether I will wait 2 months for the next CAMTefl course, or spend roughly the same money in June in Vietnam ...

I really want to be teaching and earning my $11 USD an hour for 15 hrs per week (so enough to live on reasonably comfortably and enjoy the lifestyle and the country) before my 1 years redundancy finishes in August Smile

Philip
Ity's a conundrum... Smile
brownpirate

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just another thought from the peanut gallery...

I don't quite understand how much support one is looking for from a school ...but maybe that's just my independent streak talking. I mean, I haven't even discussed it with my admin folks, but I'd imagine they'd only give me the same info that I've come up with on my own and more of which has already been shared by them (for a combined total of about 70+ names of schools in Cambodia). Then it's up to me to deliver the CV, pounding the proverbial pavement (or via email if it's applicable).

Nobody can get me a job - ultimately I have to get it myself. Or is there some benefit of which I'm not taking advantage? I know the topic is scheduled for discussion...I just don't understand the mystery of it.

Maybe ignorance is bliss and I've got a lot to find out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: