Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hotels For New Year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajc19810

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Hotels For New Year Reply with quote

While this is not an ESL question. I am an ESL teacher in Vietnam taking holidays from the ESL world and heading to Singapore to celebrate Lunar New Year.

Can anybody suggest a good hotel to stay at for a week for me and my family?

Thanks
sojourner

Location: nice, friendly, easy-going (ALL) Peoples' Republic of China

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Unfortunately, most hotels in Singapore appear to be quite expensive - but there are some bargains !

Over the past 30 years, nearly everytime I have visited Singapore I have stayed at the Southeast Asia Hotel, located at 190 Waterloo St (www.seahotel.com.sg ). I suppose it could be classified as 2-star.It is close to an MTR station (Buggis, I think), and is within reasonable walking distance from the museum, art gallery, as well as Orchard Rd, Senagoon Rd (Little India) and Buggis St. However, I think that the tariffs, as indicated on the website, might be a little out of date - so, email them for the current rates.(I believe that the tariff still includes a light Western-style, or Asian-style , breakfast ).

Running parallel to Waterloo St is Bencoolen St - there might be a couple of decent cheapish hotels along there. A few minutes walk from Waterloo St is Dunlop St, which leads on to Senagoon Rd. In the Dunlop St area there are a number of backpacker hangouts - but there might also be some cheapish hotels, suitable for families.

There are meant to be some cheap hotels in the Geylang area - but this is not the "nicest" part of Singapore; although many travellers might see it as "quite colourful" ! Do a google search.

Also, check out www.asiarooms.com

Apart from Singapore, consider spending some time in Malaysia - far more interesting than Singapore - also, considerably cheaper !

Enjoy your time in Singapore !

Peter

Last edited by sojourner on Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
ajc19810

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter for the info. Exactly what I was after.

I was blown away when I began looking for hotel prices. They seem incredibly high.

Spent some time in Malaysia already and you are spot on, cheap and interesting, but I got a pretty sweet deal for singapore $490 for 3 return airfares including insurance cover.

Thanks again
sojourner

Location: nice, friendly, easy-going (ALL) Peoples' Republic of China

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJC,

If you decide to stay at the SEA Hotel, you probably won't regret it - nothing too flash, though.Unfortunately, they don't accept credit cards; at least that was still the case when I last stayed there,about a year ago.There are cheaper places in Geylang - the Asiarooms.com site refers to several places there, all called the "Fragrance", all quite reasonably priced - I have never stayed at those places - check for the guests' comments on the Asiarooms site. Also, do a google check on that hotel name and location.

I'm intrigued by your remark re return flights, Vietnam-Singapore, for $490 - for 3 people - absolutely amazing ! Is this some once-only promotional offering, or what ? What is the name of the airline, or the travel agency ? Quite often, one might find special package deals that also include accommodation.Who knows, for an extra $100, or so, accommodation could have been included !

Anyway, have an enjoyable stay in the "Lion City" !

Peter
ajc19810

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying with Jetstar. They have been doing pretty good deals since they began flying to Vietnam in 2008. They are also doing great domestic deals as well. But it is just a matter of booking on the right day.

I checked flights to Malaysia on Air Asia and there was nothing even coming close to the prices I got for singapore using Jeststar. 2 years ago I had to pay $190 one/way from Bangkok to Saigon during TET so as you could imagine I'm pretty happy with the current deal.

On another note Brunei Airlines also does pretty smoking deals. I am heading to Bruine this year for under $200 return and then using them again to go back home to Aus mid year for under $1000.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: