Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

had me chucklin'
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:23 am    Post subject: had me chucklin' Reply with quote

December 8, 2003

Dear Mr. Bush,

Well, it's going on two weeks now since your surprise visit to one of the two countries you now run and, I have to say, I'm still warmed by the gesture. Man, take me along next time! I understand only 13 members of the media went with you -- and it turns out only ONE of them was an actual reporter for a newspaper. But you did take along FIVE photographers (hey, I get it, screw the words, it's all about the pictures!), a couple wire service guys, and a crew from the Fox News Channel (fair and balanced!).

Then, I read in the paper this weekend that that big turkey you were holding in Baghdad (you know, the picture that's supposed to replace the now-embarrassing footage of you on that aircraft carrier with the sign "Mission Accomplished") -- well, it turns out that big, beautiful turkey of yours was never eaten by the troops! It wasn't eaten by anyone! That's because it wasn't real! It was a STUNT turkey, brought in to look like a real edible turkey for all those great camera angles.

Now I know some people will say you are into props (like the one in the lower extremities of your flyboy suit), but hey, I get it, this is theater! So what if it was a bogus turkey? The whole trip was bogus, all staged to look like "news." The fake honey glaze on that bird wasn't much different from the fake honey glaze that covers this war. And the fake stuffing in the fake bird was just the right symbol for our country during these times. America loves fake honey glaze, it loves to be stuffed, and, dammit, YOU knew that -- that's what makes you so in touch with the people you lead!

It was also a good idea that you made the "press" on that trip to Baghdad pull the shades down on the plane. No one in the media entourage complained. They like the shades pulled and they like to be kept in the dark. It's more fun that way. And, when you made them take the batteries out of their cell phones so they wouldn't be able to call anyone, and they dutifully complied -- that was genius! I think if you had told them to put their hands on their heads and touch their noses with their tongues, they would have done that, too! That's how much they like you. You could have played "Simon Says" the whole way over there. It wouldn't have been that much different from "Karl Says," a game they LOVE to play every day with Mr. Rove.

Well, if you're planning any surprises for Christmas, don't forget to include me. When I heard last week that you wanted to send a man back to the moon, I thought, get the fake goose ready -- that's where ol' George is going for the holidays! I don't blame you, what with nearly 3 million jobs disappeared, and a $281 billion surplus disappeared, and the USA stuck in a war that will never end -- who wouldn't want to go to the moon! This time, take ALL the media with you! Embed them on the moon! They'll love it there! It looks just like Crawford! You can golf on the moon, too. You'll have so much fun up there, you might not want to come back. Better take Cheney with you, too. Pretend it's a medical experiment or something. "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for every American who's sick and tired of all this crap."

Yours,

Michael Moore
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: scary yet typical, if true Reply with quote

December 10, 2004

Well, it's official: I am now deathly afraid of 60% of Americans. The results of the latest USAToday/Gallup poll were released today, and 60% of Americans now think that the war in Iraq was a good idea - and the main reason given for this rise in their approval for the war was Bush's 2-hour layover in Baghdad on Thanksgiving!

Are you serious? Are there really 60% of Americans who are that easy to manipulate with a photo-op? It's hard to even write anything about how ridiculous an idea that is, because - well - because it's so utterly ridiculous!

If this poll is any indication of the state of the union, then Bush is already guaranteed a second term in office. Apparently, all he'll have to do is pose for a few pictures, such as some with babies, some with the war-wounded, some with the handicapped, some with people of various religions and ethnicities - you get the picture (no pun intended).

60% of Americans say that it's good enough for them! If that doesn't scare you, you're not paying attention. Can this country even survive another four years of reckless spending, an astronomical deficit, more unemployment, more trashing of the environment, more disregard for international protocol, more dead and maimed young Americans, more lies, more secrecy, more bait-and-switch? And that's just the short list.

Man, how do you even comment on a poll like this? Where do you start? This poll proves to the world that a majority of Americans are gullible, ignorant, uneducated, lazy, and just plain suckers. But don't take my word for it; think about it for yourself. Before his layover in Baghdad, Bush's approval rating was sinking fast, and so was approval for his war. So bing-bada-boom, he takes a quick trip, makes sure there are lots of clicking cameras, and 60% of Americans suddenly think that the war, as a whole, was a good idea now. Bush serves mashed potatoes to the troops, for ten minutes, and 60% of Americans rethink their opinion of this disastrous war (and the myriad problems it encompasses).

Did somebody ask why the rest of the world is chuckling at the intelligence of the average American?

I could write volumes about this, but 60% of Americans would never grasp any of it. That scares the crap out of me, and it should scare you, too. It goes way beyond Bush and the election of 2004. It speaks volmes about the state of this country and its citizens, who are ultimately responsible for its well-being.

Hopefully, it's the other 40% of Americans who are reading this, and hopefully you're concerned enough to do something about the other 60%.

Steve
Editor, www.newzmaniac.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: And it gets even worse Reply with quote

Dear AK,
I can't quarrel with anything you posted; the situation scares and saddens me, too. The only point I'd like to add is that I'd say at least 60% (and probably more) of the human race is as "gullible, ignorant, uneducated, lazy, and just plain suckers", as well. While it may well be true that much of the rest of the world "is chuckling at the intelligence of the average American", I'd say a survey of the current crop of "world leaders" would perhaps indicate they are not quite so perceptive when it comes to their own backyards. All of which, I suppose, makes me even more scared and saddened than you.
Regards,
John
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that a 19 year old supply clerk who took a wrong turning in her Humvee only to be well looked after in an Iraqi hospital, was recently voted "American woman of the year", nothing now surprises me!
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Look on the sunny side of life Reply with quote

Dear Cleopatra,
Well, try to look on the bright side. At least Laura Bush, Britney Spears or Paris Hilton didn't win.
Regards,
John
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris HIlton gets my vote (unfortunately it appears to be about the only thing I'm likely to be able to give her!)
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: I love Paris in the winter when it drizzles Reply with quote

Dear Stephen,
Well, I wouldn't be too sure. According to all the spam that's filling up my Bulk Mail Folder these days, Ms Hilton is ALWAYS looking for a few good men.
Regards,
John
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Oh what a lovely war! Reply with quote

Re. the intelligence of the average American, the invasion of Iraq was also frighteningly popular in the UK.
I feel sorry for the Spanish. More than 90 per cent of them were against the war, but Jose Maria stuck to Mr Bush's guns.
Paul in Saudi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen--
Is this sort of political discussion the purpose of this board?

Certainly it can only spread ill-will.

On the other hand, if I am mistaken, I would be glad to join in. Please let me know.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Please join in Reply with quote

Dear Paul in Saudi,
Huh? You mean Paris Hilton is political? Seriously though, while I understand your concerns, I can't say that I share them. I certainly feel no "ill-will" whatsoever towards any of the posters on this thread (with the possible exception, occasionally, of myself). I see it as simply a place where we can freely exchange opinions and ideas about the current state of the Middle East in general and, in this case, Iraq in particular ( there being no "Iraq Forum"). The justification? Well, what's going on does, I'd say, directly or indirectly affect (or will) all those who are currently teaching in that part of the world or who might plan to. Come, let us reason - and disagree - together.
Regards,
John
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham,

I disagree with you. Surveys consistently showed the majority of people against the Iraqi 'war'. In fact, surveys have also shown that in only two countries in the world were the majority of people pro-invasion.

Guess which those countries were...?

(harly a million dollar question)
Paul in Saudi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, John....

I am bored outta my skull as it is anyway.

In any case, I now believe that Mr. Bush lied about his reasons for invading Iraq. I say lied as the other option is that Western intelligence is so bad as to be scary. Real scary.

He lied and so it may very well cost him my vote.

That being said, the invasion of Iraq was Good Thing. I like people, I like Arabs as they are people too. The thought that the rich West could just stand by and sell babbles to some tinpot dictator while he kills and rapes his people appalls me.

As the guy in Spiderman said, "With great power comes great responsibility." History has given those of us in the FIrst World a lot of power. It would be wrong to NOT use just so we can watch the world go to hell on our wide-screen TVs.

It would be easy and comfortable for us to sit back and make up excuses why brown people should be allowed to slaughter each other. Heck, it IS easy, we have been doing it for decades.

The major charge against the invasion of Iraq is one of inconsistency. "If we invade Iraq, why not Burma?" Fair enough, but of course a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of a small mind. In the end such reasoning leads to the obvious conclusion that the forces of Civilization should have been and should be used more often, not less.

Now let me go put some steaks on the grill and calm down.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: The greatest treason? Reply with quote

Dear Paul in Saudi,
Hey, welcome to the brawl. Much as I'd like to post a long, measured, thoughtful response right now, I fear I'm rushed for time. So, I'll content myself, for the nonce, with this quote:

In "Murder in the Cathedral", TS Eliot's Becket muses that

"The last temptation is the greatest treason/To do the right deed for the wrong reason".

More later, inshallah.

Regards,
John
Truth Hurts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

I'm having my doubts and I hope they're unfounded.

But this Howard dude just ain't got what it takes.

TH
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: On the Dean's list Reply with quote

Dear Truth Hurts,
If, as I suspect, you are referring to Mr. Howard Dean, then I have what may be disturbing news for you: We agree. OK, I do like what I've read about Mr. Dean and I like most of his views on policy, both foreign and domestic. However, it's hard for me to see a liberal Democrat from a small New England state winning the presidency. I'm working for his campaign, nevertheless, because who knows - I could be wrong.
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: