Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ARC (Original degree needed?)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matchstick_man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: ARC (Original degree needed?) Reply with quote

I really should know the answer to this as I spent three years in Taiwan but since time changes things and I only needed all the information once. Do I need to bring the original degree certicate or does a photocopy stamped by my contry's consulate cut it for ARC purposes. I remember my boss telling me an original was needed when I had a friend come over and work with me and it turned out it wasn't. I know I'm highly likely to get at least two different answers here so I'd prefer to hear from those with recent experience. (maybe newbies and other returnees). I really don't want to bring my original certificate to Taiwan as I made that mistake when I was in Korea years back and the certificate needeed ironing when it was returned to me.
brian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one will be able to answer this question with a categorical yes or no.

Technically, yes, you do need the original certificate. This is a stipulation that the government has made of schools in applying for work permits on behalf of their foreign staff. The onus is on the school to verify this document, and this is where the uncertainty comes into play. Some schools may be willing to take your word for it and trust your copy, while others will have a hard and fast rule that they want to view the original. Some schools have been burnt with fake documentation in the past and therefore cant really be begrudged for their decision in this matter.

My advice is to bring the original with you, just in case you need it. It would be an awful shame to miss out on a great job opportunity just because you didn�t bring it with you.

If you really don�t want to bring it, then the worst that could happen would be that you may have to pass up a job offer that requires it.

Whatever you do, don�t give the original to anyone. Schools do not submit the original document and therefore do not need to hold it. Take it to their office in order that they can view it, and copy it, but be sure to take it home again when you go.
[/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: