Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching English in Rio or Sao Paulo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wellsinsouthamerica

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Teaching English in Rio or Sao Paulo Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I plan on moving to Brazil this February. I have a B.A. in English and I recently became TESOL certified. I have made a friend here in the states who's from Rio and is moving back there in February, so I decided to follow her down there. Basically, does anyone have any info on teaching in the Rio area? I am also curious about teaching in Sao Paulo, so if you guys have any new information or advice on working in either place, I'd appreciate it. I'd be willing to teach in the public schools, private schools, or private tutoring. Any information would really be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's much more competitive in Rio, and they pay much less.

Sao Paulo is the economic engine of the country.

I taught in SP, and later looked at Rio, but I arrived in Rio right before Christmas, and people just are not interested in studying ESL in the weeks and month leading up to Carnival.

There are quite a few institutes and such in the newspapers, moreso in SP, but a bit in Rio as well. However, the pay is low. I've seen very few jobs advertised on the internet, and most jobs in Brazil won't assist with a work visa. So you'll most likely be teaching parttime hours on a tourist visa.

This basically means you have to find your own housing and try to make everything work on your own. There are some exceptions, but I never followed those paths to know them.

I will say that Brazil is a great place to live, but a bit challenging earning money though.
dove

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent 6 months in Sao Paulo last year. I gave it my best shot, but it was a struggle. At best, I broke even. I had to go through some of my savings, too. Sao Paulo is NOT cheap. I was teaching mainly business English onsite at various companies. I got those jobs through a kind of English consulting agency. The pay was pretty low, around 15 US dollars per hour. Mainly I taught in the early morning and then in the evenings. There were no afternoon classes, but I found a few private lessons. (Pay from 15 dollars to 25 dollars an hour). I spent a lot of money (and time) commuting to the companies. The agency didn't pay commuting expenses or even for photocopying.

I applied at some of the big language schools (Wall Street, Wizard, etc), but they wouldn't hire me because I didn't have a work visa. They pay about the same as the agency, anyway. I met some Brazilian English teachers who were doing pretty well, but they told me it had taken them a long time to get their students. If I had really hustled I think I could have found more privates. But I didn't want to overstay my visa. (From what I understand, overstayers are not jailed, but a fine must be paid). I just didn't want to risk it and I just didn't want to struggle.

I returned to Japan and I am making much more, despite the economic meltdown. (I pray my luck will last). I really would not want to make a go of it in Brazil now unless I had LOTS of money saved and I was willing to go through it. I do miss Brazil terribly. Somedays a memory of some random thing will waft back to me (like the other day I recalled the newscasters on the evening news) and I will almost weep. I will return someday.
shannoneast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Possible New Teachers Reply with quote

How are you? We�re in a process of selecting experienced native teachers to work with our cultural exchange program. We teach in major companies here in Rio and we also have a social project to help low-income students to have access to language learning and culture exchange. We�re expanding our team of multi-cultural teachers and coaches and we�d like to invite you to come in for an interview.

Please visit our website: www.globallanguagecenter.tk

We look forward to hearing from you!

All the best,

Shannon East
Language Consultant
Global Language Center
(21) 8226-1319
[email protected]
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dove wrote:
I spent 6 months in Sao Paulo last year. I gave it my best shot, but it was a struggle. At best, I broke even. I had to go through some of my savings, too. Sao Paulo is NOT cheap. I was teaching mainly business English onsite at various companies. I got those jobs through a kind of English consulting agency. The pay was pretty low, around 15 US dollars per hour. Mainly I taught in the early morning and then in the evenings. There were no afternoon classes, but I found a few private lessons. (Pay from 15 dollars to 25 dollars an hour). I spent a lot of money (and time) commuting to the companies. The agency didn't pay commuting expenses or even for photocopying.

I applied at some of the big language schools (Wall Street, Wizard, etc), but they wouldn't hire me because I didn't have a work visa. They pay about the same as the agency, anyway. I met some Brazilian English teachers who were doing pretty well, but they told me it had taken them a long time to get their students. If I had really hustled I think I could have found more privates. But I didn't want to overstay my visa. (From what I understand, overstayers are not jailed, but a fine must be paid). I just didn't want to risk it and I just didn't want to struggle.

I returned to Japan and I am making much more, despite the economic meltdown. (I pray my luck will last). I really would not want to make a go of it in Brazil now unless I had LOTS of money saved and I was willing to go through it. I do miss Brazil terribly. Somedays a memory of some random thing will waft back to me (like the other day I recalled the newscasters on the evening news) and I will almost weep. I will return someday.

That sounds IDENTICAL to my experience in Sao Paulo teaching at Linguatec. It's almost as I wrote this!

I also missed Brazil immensily, long after I left. But it was a serious financial struggle the entire time I lived and taught there. In retrospect, I think I could have made it work though, I was just having so much fun living there to buckle down to the degree that I needed to buckle down.
shannoneast

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Teaching in Rio Reply with quote

Hi There,

I help coordinate for a project called Global Language Center and we're looking for teachers in Rio. Let me know if you're in the area.

[email protected]

All the best,
Shannon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: