Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apartment hunting in Rome

View previous topic :: View next topic  
La_Magica

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Apartment hunting in Rome Reply with quote

As I mentioned in another post, I am planning to move to Rome to teach ESL. In this thread I wanted to focus specifically on finding a place to live. I would imagine that others will have similar questions and find this thread useful in the future.

I have posted an apartment wanted ad in a few forums and the replies I received were obviously scams, asking me to send money via western union or international bank order to the recipient in Wales, or Scotland, or England to rent the apartment that belonged to their recently deceased Italian father, yada, yada (same story from several different people... no joke).

Does anyone have any positive apartment hunting experiences to speak of? Any advice. Pray tell...
nagel5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience, but I must say: I will be looking for an apartment in Rome in the first week of January too, and am, like you, looking for work as a teacher of English. Perhaps we could help each other if need be! My biggest stumbling block is the lack of Italian, but I'm trying to learn some.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at wanted in rome dot com (tends to be more expat / expensive) and at bookshops in Rome. Try Anglo-American bookshop on via delle Vite (near piazza spagna, though I don't know if they have a noticeboard) or at Feltrinelli International, on the road that runs from piazza reppublica down to Barberini. There's also a listings mag - Porta Portese - but a fair number of scams there too. Obviously, the more you get to know people, the more you hear of spare rooms going.

You could also try agencies, though they take a lot of cash upfront. As non-resident, non-Italian, you get a one year renewable "transitorio" contract, which is better than a 4+4 year resident contract, which are quite rare.

You can also rent a serviced apartment for a month if you needed somewhere quick.
misim16

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you speak Italian and are comfortable arriving without a set place to live, your best bet is probably to find something in person once you get there. I recommend checking out bulletin boards at bars near universities and http://roma.bakeca.it/ - the Italian version of craigslist. I don't know about Rome, but I've used this in both Florence and Siena and found good places at decent prices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: