Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

another annoying ticket question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
donfan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: another annoying ticket question Reply with quote

Sorry about this guys.

I have decided to book a return ticket for Taiwan. However 60 days is the maximum stay on a tourist visa. How do you explain why your ticket is dated a year later for the return?
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't. You book a date within 60 days, show it to TECO, get here and cancel the booking, to reschedule it later when you actually intend to travel. Make sure you tell your travel agent to give you an open-ended return ticket that will allow you to reschedule your return.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[][]

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
brian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve is right again. This is the best, simplest and most convenient way to get here without fuss. Airlines are remarkably good about changing dates so don�t worry about that, but do be sure that it is an open return so that you can do this.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Steve is right again. This is the best, simplest and most convenient way to get here without fuss. Airlines are remarkably good about changing dates so don�t worry about that, but do be sure that it is an open return so that you can do this.

-if it costs you any money forget it. You are just wasting your time anyway. They don't care, and they never check.
Pop Fly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_seeburn wrote:
brian wrote:

-if it costs you any money forget it. You are just wasting your time anyway. They don't care, and they never check.

What Jason means to say is that they "never" checked him out his one time passing thru CKS.

I am here on a one-way ticket, but if financial circumstances didn't warrant that I take such a chance, I wouldn't have. I was armed with an itinerary showing my plans to travel onward and I didn't need it. That time. There was also alot of confusion at the border when I crossed due to SARS. They may have overlooked checking my outward travel plans.

Yes it is possible.

WHy risk not getting in to save a few bucks? Because you don't have the bucks to begin with. Neccessity being the mother of all inventions.

Otherwise, my advice is to buy an onward tickie to HK or BKK or a return to your home port. Being miserly can and probably will run you into some major hassles that will cost you much more in the long run.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an open ended ticket you can have the dates of the ticket changed as you require until the ticket expires. Just go to the airline office and they will put a little sticker on it for you with the new information.
You can use the ticket with the revised dates to get an extension on your current visa so long as that visa is extend able.
I too have come into Taiwan on a one way ticket however the regulations, policies and enforcement change with the wind and astrological movements.
This time it may work next time you are refused at the airport and forced to buy a one way ticket to Hong Kong for double the price at the airport just to get past customs. You might also like to take into consideration that during the missile crisis a few years back it was impossible to get on a flight out of Taiwan unless you had a confirmed ticket because of the mass exodus of people. Many predict a much more dangerous episode in the near future.
I would strongly recommend you get a round trip ticket as Taiwan is not a good place to be stuck in particularly during a ballistic missile attack.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

js

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...And you, J-S, have come in and out of Taiwan how many times?
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaoyuanSteve wrote:
...And you, J-S, have come in and out of Taiwan how many times?

A lot less than Pop Fly, who readily admits to being in the country on a one way at the moment. Since we're not at the moment discussing me, please try to restrain yourself from indulging in your annoying habit of changing the topic of the conversation to prove a point that's not being argued. It gets tiring.
alamuerte

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see my update above,
to add fuel to the fire!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
alamuerte

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh heh, make that below.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aristotle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come in and out of Taiwan more than 20 times in my life. I have until recently always used a multiple entry tourist visa and had no problems except once. I have come in on one way and round trip tickets. Once the immigration officer asked me for my return ticket and I didn't have it. I was forced to purchase a one way ticket to Hong Kong for almost 12,000 NT, just to get past customs.
I strongly recommend you have have a return ticket or at least the cash to buy one if you get nailed for it.
A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: