Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Age limit for TEFLers in Buenos Aires?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SUZUKI

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Age limit for TEFLers in Buenos Aires? Reply with quote

In TEFL I am well-qualified (RSA Diploma; BCCI Cert. in Business English; UV of London Dip. TEFL; MA in Applied Linguistics) and have a lifetime of teaching experience (including seven years in Mexico). However, am no longer young!
In Buenos Aires, is there an "age barrier" for teachers, either actual or de facto?
akmassager

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should read ads... Argentine employers are not shy about putting in sex and age preferences. If you're over 40 or 45 you might want to think twice... I also remember that a lot of times they want to see a recent photo. I would definitely say that age and sex discrimination take place in Argentina. As a matter of fact I remember talking to my cousin about this who is a prominent lawyer in BA (he teaches law at UBA) and he told me he prefers that they put these preferences in job adverts... that way the company gets what they want.
irishvan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: It aint necessarily so......... Reply with quote

Arrived in BA 3 weeks ago and have had 4 interviews and been offered 4 jobs in business english teaching. I should point out that 45 is a very distant memory for me. I dont think in this particular area that age is a factor.
I have now lived and worked in 9 different countries and was only refused a job once on age grounds. Then ironically this person called me up some months later and offered me a job!
maba0812

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Too old at 52? Reply with quote

I will be taken the Celta course in October. Planning on relocating to Mendoza, Argentina. I am a business executive "retired" at 52. I noticed many ads in Argentina place age and sex preferences. Should I not bothered? I don't want to spend the money and time on getting certified if then I will not be able to get hired.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: