Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Toowoomba and USQ
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merlin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a few other people on this forum!

One person with multiple usernames is not "a few people" - it is still ONE PERSON. I refuse to accept the fact that there are so many Australians teaching English in China who are unable to support a point with valid arguments. No, I prefer to think that Australians teaching English in China are by and large normal people and that there is just one person giving them all a bad name.

Of course your lack of valid points for discussion does not prove USQ is a superior school, but I'm still waiting for a valid criticism of USQ to address and it is only in boredom that I respond to you at all.
ajarn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting discussion for me as I am currently considering undertaking an M.A in TESOL via distance at USQ. My experience so far with USQ is that they have been extremely efficient and helpful. Also their website is user-friendly and full of relevant, useful information.

Whilst RPD seems to be a little bitter about his experience with USQ and Toowoomba he raises some valid points about the quality of the academic staff. This is definitely of concern to me as I don't want a recently graduated M.A student wth little or no practical teaching experience marking my assignments. Also I am concerned about how an M.A degree by distance education wil be received by employers - more specifically Japanese Universities.

Any comments are appreciated
Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajarn wrote:
This is an interesting discussion for me as I am currently considering undertaking an M.A in TESOL via distance at USQ. My experience so far with USQ is that they have been extremely efficient and helpful. Also their website is user-friendly and full of relevant, useful information.

Whilst RPD seems to be a little bitter about his experience with USQ and Toowoomba he raises some valid points about the quality of the academic staff. This is definitely of concern to me as I don't want a recently graduated M.A student wth little or no practical teaching experience marking my assignments. Also I am concerned about how an M.A degree by distance education wil be received by employers - more specifically Japanese Universities.

Any comments are appreciated

You do have a valid concern about the graduate students marking. I don't know all of the qualifications of the markers, but in my experience they do seem to know their stuff and were helpful in their comments on my essays. I'm sure someone else will dispute this Rolling Eyes but THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE. You can ask Bronwen at USQ about the qualifications of the markers if you want, they certainly seem experienced from what I have read from them.
madmad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: USQ again Reply with quote

Hi all,

I posted some comments earlier on in this thread that were critical of USQ. One of the problems here, aside from personal attacks, is lack of evidence. You don't know me, so why should my opinion carry any weight?

Here's a glimpse at some evidence then, which might lead to more...

http://www.cnwave.com/job/dspmsg.asp?msgid=49

This will take you to an online resume of one of the markers at USQ, and you can decide for yourself if you would like to be getting a grade from this person on your work.

Again, I am currently studying there, and while I wouldn't call it a degree mill, I would say USQ operates at the bottom end of academia.

It would, I think, help everyone here if people posted some verifiable information that could help put a more complete picture of USQ together.
Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmad,
I see he has a masters of applied linguistics from USQ and he wants to teach in China. Where does it say he works at USQ or has ever worked at USQ?
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon,

I think it's great that your having a good USQ experience.
LOL!!

I agree with the above psoter - USQ "operates at the lower end of academia."

Listen, there are people grading your papers at USQ who have zero overseas EFL teaching experience.

How do you like that?
madmad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: USQ Reply with quote

Hi Gordon,

lol, yes I forgot that one - you need to check USQ's staff register and /or get some info from people studying there. I came across his name because he graded one of my essays - so I did some searching.

I think you'll have to do some searching of your own if you want more information. One funny story is what happened in UAE recently - two USQ staff members opned that campus without knowledge/permission by USQ! Do a Google search on that one...

Finally, you could search for the audit report 2002 on USQ done by the Australian Ministry of Education. You have to read it carefully, though - criticism is worded very carefully, which makes sense considering academia and the financial interests of Australia's educational industry.

Finally, maybe it's a matter of faith, and I just don't have any in this institution; sorry.
merlin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for adding something informative, madmad.
I'm willing to meet you halfway - perhaps the Applied Linguistics Department is as you describe but in my experience the Educational Technology/Online Learning department does not have TA's mark papers/final projects.

This is most likely where the truth lies - in the middle of two extremes. Many universities have departments that lead the field in some areas but are behind in others.

However, I still maintain that Universities across the board do what you describe. One leader in the field often uses PhD Candidates
as professors for their TESL program. It's cheaper. The person studies for a PhD under a scholarship or fellowship and gets academic credit for teaching others at the MA level. If you want the name I'll PM it to you but I won't publicly post it.

Which leads me to my next question:
Quote:
I just don't have any (trust) in this institution; sorry.

Why do you continue to study with them? Just curious.

You see, I see an MA in educational technology as a stepping-stone to a really strong MA and/or PhD with a CALL research focus. I'm completely sold on the lifelong learning thing, you see. So the main thing I'm concerned with is if USQOnline will be recognized by other universities, which I'm sure it will be. I keep all my academic work and course materials (something I never did before) so I can always submit my transcript for auditing if asked.

So I'm wondering why you study at a university you have such a low opinion of.
Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmad,
If this person was working at USQ, why would he not put it on his resume? If I worked at a university (which I am) and was applying at another university, then I'd put that vital piece of information on my resume. That just makes sense.
madmad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: USQ Reply with quote

Hi all,

Gordon, I think when the person in question posted that resume he didn't have the job at USQ yet - seems like he got the USQ job and forgot about China, for the time being.

So, if I have such little esteem for USQ, why do I continue studying there? Here's why:

By the time I started realizing things weren't what I thought they should be I had already invested too much money and time to turn elsewhere. I'm doing what I can, working in Thailand, just to make ends meet; the hassle of changing to another uni is something I can't be bothered with.

And yes, I also see the shortcomings (and advantages) of academia everywhere. Could I tell you some things about Thai academia...(if I was ready to jeopardize my job, which I'm not).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: