Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Institute of Banking in Riyadh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdel010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Institute of Banking in Riyadh Reply with quote

Hi all,
Does anyone know anything about conditions at this place? They're advertising on the TESOL http://careers.tesol.org/jobdetail.cfm?job=3066178&job_events=1536website, but I've tried in vain to find any discussion of this place anywhere. Any info anyone may have will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're well-known and long-established. A friend of mine used to work there and I never heard anything negative about the place, but like all places, there were characters who somehow got under the wire. I'd say that you wouldn't be going wrong pursuing them for employment...except for the fact that they're located in Saudi...

NCTBA
tdel010

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, NCTBA. Their job ad mentions 1-year renewable contracts, so I'm considering taking a leave from my current position for a year to save up some money... and for the experience, whatever it will be like. I'm thinking that this looks like a fairly well paying job, but they don't list specifics in the ad. Any ideas? Anyone? I have about 15 years experience, an MATESOL, and just finished a PhD in applied linguistics. I've got a good (but not very high-paying) university position in the States, but could use a bit more money at the moment... Again, thanks for any input people can offer.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bankıng attracts quıte well-qualıfıed Saudıs. Good jobs avaılable. It ıs a sector avopıded by the Pıous Ones for relıgıous reasons. Lıke NCTBA I have heard posıtıve reports and nothıng adverse.

Could you handle lıvıng ın Rıyadh ! Not an easy place ! Gıve me Jeddah or Eastern Provınce.
tdel010

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Scot. That's useful information. As for living in Riyadh, I have spent a little time there and got a sense of what living there might be like. Staying in the DQ seemed a little like being held hostage in a golf resort in Arizona. However, as I said I am really only looking to top up the coffers for a year because some unexpected expenses hit my family. Again, thanks!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdel010 wrote:
Staying in the DQ seemed a little like being held hostage in a golf resort in Arizona.

Except that the whole population of the DQ isn't over 55... Cool

VS
StallionLance

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Other news? Reply with quote

Anyone else have some insight to share on the Institute of Banking? ie. salaries, working conditions, students, experiences in the classroom, etc.?
SD BOY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interviewed with them ...gosh, 15 years ago or so.
The guy who ran the program was a Tunisian with a Phd. from Cornell or Harvard...he used to read the news in French on Saudi television.
The only problem...as I recall...was that the money wasn't so great. Fairly average for Riyadh and they were rather insistent about ME experience and qualifications.
Some years later, in Abu Dhabi, I worked with a guy who'd been employed by them. All he said was that the job with Saudi Central Bank was pretty boring...which, believe me, is much more than can generally be expected from Felix Arabia.
With your background, you should be able to come up with something more lucrative.
SD BOY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...that should be Arabia felix....an ancient misnomer..to be sure.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Except that the whole population of the DQ isn't over 55...
They all feel like it though.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: No quarter given or asked Reply with quote

"A hit, a very palpable hit."

Good one, Stephen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: