Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What would be the best option for me ... ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Space Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: What would be the best option for me ... ? Reply with quote

I started a discussion on a German language forum (completely unrelated to English teaching or anything like that) about whether and how I should teach English in Germany. I got a bunch of partly contradictory anecdotes which didn't exactly help me get a coherent picture of the situation there and furthermore I found out there are in fact a lot of different school systems available.

So I'll set out criteria / particulars that might help you help me:

• I will be graduating this year with a BA in linguistics
  • I plan on earning a TEFL certificate (is ICAL pretty good? that's the impression I've gotten)
  • I'd rather work in or near a fairly large city: I think I'd get painfully bored in the country
  • my German is getting pretty decent; I use it without much difficulty chatting online on a semi-daily basis
  • I used to tutor English in a volunteer capacity: my job was probably a little harder than the one I'm considering because the students were typically East Asian and thus had native languages rather unlike English whereas English is Germanic at least
  • I have technical experience: my current job is computer-related. At work I use things like Python and Perl. Some English teaching positions, as I understand it, want someone who has these kinds of skills
  • I'm impartial between working in the public or private sector. Or wherever within those sectors. Whatever's the most productive and useful. I'm not a big spender so money is mainly only a concern in so far as it keeps me alive and helps me pay off my student debt. I'd actually prefer a job where I'm kind of independent in how I can implement the plans given to me

Got any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Space Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

artemisia wrote:
The big issue is whether or not you hold an EU passport.

What is an "EU passport"? I've heard no such thing exists as such:

http://www.euimmigration.org/eu_passport.html

Do you mean "residence permit"? Those aren't supposed to be highly unattainable.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Means a passport from an EU member country.

If you are not from an EU member country, things become dramatically more complicated, though not near-impossible as with most other Western European countries.

There are some threads here regarding how North Americans got residence/work permits for Germany. It's a hassle, and most likely you would lose money in the first year, but some people have been able to make it work.

It's correct that your relevant qualifications and language skills will be helpful. In your place, I would expect it to take a couple of years to find something stable and decently-paid. Meanwhile, most likely scenario is that you'll scrabble around, putting together bits and pieces to make ends meet.
Space Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Means a passport from an EU member country.

If you are not from an EU member country, things become dramatically more complicated, though not near-impossible as with most other Western European countries.

I'm looking at the law in question and it doesn't say anything specifically about an EU member state passport

http://bundesrecht.juris.de/aufenthg_2004/__3.html

Quote:

(1) Ausl�nder d�rfen nur in das Bundesgebiet einreisen oder sich darin aufhalten, wenn sie einen anerkannten und g�ltigen Pass oder Passersatz besitzen, sofern sie von der Passpflicht nicht durch Rechtsverordnung befreit sind. F�r den Aufenthalt im Bundesgebiet erf�llen sie die Passpflicht auch durch den Besitz eines Ausweisersatzes (� 48 Abs. 2).
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My German's not up to the web site you include. I worked for some years at a Dutch university on the border with Germany. We had partner unis in Germany and I was there often (up through November 2010 - not ancient days).

The approximate situation is that a teacher from the UK has an automatic right to live/work in Germany. This means that employers will favour UK candidates as it's far less paperwork for them.

Non-EU member citizen teachers need to be sponsored by a school (unless you've got special quals and experience, not that likely - there are lots of Brits around) or to arrange for your own work permit. Again, do-able in Germany, but not easy.

If you're not already aware of Schengen zone rules, you'll want to google this - you have 90 days of landing in the zone to file for appropriate permits.

Here are links to some earlier threads with useful info:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=84515

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=69109

I'm not purporting to be an expert on how to get work/living permits in Germany: I've only got very general info. I'm more up on the job market itself, having worked with numerous teachers in the region. However, I'm sure others with more specific info will be along soon.

Meanwhile, given the time limits to file for docs, it could be useful for you to get some info regarding what's required in terms of insurance, rental agreements, money in the bank, and etc.
Space Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
My German's not up to the web site you include.

Well basically it just says you need a passport (or in fact equivalent documentation), says nothing about an "EU passport". Unless I'm supposed to give �Passpflicht� an unfelicitous interpretation of "only EU passports".

I'm going to continue to ask around.
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife is a non-EU citizen and we had to go through this.

You�ve gone to exactly the right place but only quoted from Section 3 of the Germany Residence Act. That quote says you need a passport to enter Germany, which is pretty standard to be fair. It says nothing about staying in Germany. That part is in Section 4:

Quote:
� 4 Erfordernis eines Aufenthaltstitels
(1) Ausl�nder bed�rfen f�r die Einreise und den Aufenthalt im Bundesgebiet eines Aufenthaltstitels, sofern nicht durch Recht der Europ�ischen Union oder durch Rechtsverordnung etwas anderes bestimmt ist oder auf Grund des Abkommens vom 12. September 1963 zur Gr�ndung einer Assoziation zwischen der Europ�ischen Wirtschaftsgemeinschaft und der T�rkei (BGBl. 1964 II S. 509) (Assoziationsabkommen EWG/T�rkei) ein Aufenthaltsrecht besteht. Die Aufenthaltstitel werden erteilt als

1. Visum (� 6),
2. Aufenthaltserlaubnis (� 7),
3. Niederlassungserlaubnis (� 9) oder
4. Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt-EG (� 9a).

Quote:
� 4 Requirement - residence permit
(1) Foreigners require for entry and residence in the Federal Territory of residence permits �..The residence permit will be issued as

1. Visa
2. Residence permit
3. Settlement permit
4. Permit for permanent residence in the EU

You need to aim for this one:

2. Aufenthaltserlaubnis (� 7), Residence permit
Space Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:

I knew that. See above. (Specifically, I think I need an Arbeitserlaubnis, not just a regular old residence permit.)

Someone suggested however that I can work in Germany if and only if I have an EU passport. That's not true.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Someone suggested however that I can work in Germany if and only if I have an EU passport. That's not true

Not on this thread. It's not clear where you got that idea.

I said it's more difficult - which is as true as the fact that it's not impossible (which I also said).
Space Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:
Someone suggested however that I can work in Germany if and only if I have an EU passport. That's not true

Not on this thread. It's not clear where you got that idea.

I said it's more difficult - which is as true as the fact that it's not impossible (which I also said).

I had someone else's post in mind not yours. And, mea culpa, that other poster said it was merely nigh on impossible to work without an EU passport. But that isn't the impression I've gotten either, for a qualified person at least.

Incidentally, does anyone know how good my chances in Sachsen-Anhalt would be?
Hod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Captain wrote:
Hod wrote:

I knew that. See above. (Specifically, I think I need an Arbeitserlaubnis, not just a regular old residence permit.)

My wife has the regular old Aufenthaltserlaubnis and is allowed to work full-time.

Despite what people say, the Ausl�nderbeh�rde (at least in Berlin) were quite helpful. They weren't friendly, of course. This is Germany after all, but we had all the right paperwork and it was all done in a couple of hours.

You need to e-mail one of these Ausl�nderbeh�rde directly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: