Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the money really good there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cicak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Is the money really good there? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been working in Indoneisa for the past 5 years first as a business/management lecturer at a college and then as an english teacher at a local language school where I also have managerial responsibilities. I like the country and i like my job here but from fianacial point of view i started feeling a bit insecure regarding my future.....On the other hand I always hear that 'money is good in ME' and I startred to think maybe I should consider a move there before finally going back home to settle.

I am not a native. I hold EU passport. I am female and 38. I have a degree in economics, MBA, CELTA, 10 years teaching experience (economics/business/management/english).

Now my question is, is the money really good in ME and which country would you suggest for that? Being a non native, can i get a well-paid job in a decent school? And when is the best time to apply for jobs?

Thanks
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your MBA, your best chance might be teaching business at the Higher Colleges of Technology in the Emirates. Check out their website and see if they are hiring for any positions right now. If you want to read about HCT, you can find plenty of discussion of the place on the UAE branch. (hours and hours of reading... Laughing)

For the top jobs in the Gulf, they want credentials that match the positions, thus the best jobs in EFL require a related MA in ESL/EFL or Applied Linguistics. And the universities tend to require a PhD in business to teach business.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on your passport. If it is from one of the countries in the Sub-continent your salary will be LOW !
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not if she gets a position with HCT. They pay by credentials, not passport.

VS
helenl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if she gets a job in the Business faculty rather than English, she will probably start at a higher salary.
cicak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies...I'll check HCT...

to be honest i don't mind teaching management related courses or english as long as i can save some money.

is there a best time to apply for jobs in ME or is it on year-round basis?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prime time is immediately. They are just now revving up for next August/September starts. The vast majority of hiring is done now with a minimal amount done for a second semester start in January, 2010.

Apply now... Laughing

VS
cicak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok that's good cause my contract here is until 2010....

by the way, how do you deal with the referece issue? Schools usually ask for references (rightfully) from our current/recent employers....but of course i am not telling my boss that i am looking for another job so i can't give his name and contacts...if it's sure that i will get the job, i can let him now and i am sure he'll give me a good reference but nothing is sure...so?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a common situation. My three referees were usually past employers, but not necessarily the current. (normally letters of reference are sent with an application.) They normally don't get in touch with these references until after the interview, so you can inform them of the situation.

I would list the current employer on the application, but mention in your cover letter that notice has not been given.

BTW... the January hires are normally for EFL since there are so many of them. There may not be openings in business, which is your best fit.

VS
cicak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok VS, thanks a lot...you have been a great help Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: