Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which country is best for me? Any suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss_Sha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Which country is best for me? Any suggestions? Reply with quote

Hello all!

I'm very interested in teaching in an Arab country and I realize that there are many of them which have different things to offer. However, I'm not exactly sure of where I want to work. I'm hoping that some of you out there can give me some suggestions.

I know I'm going to get my bachelor's degree in TESL and I'm probably going to finish my master's degree as well. I have no actual teaching experience other than tutoring and some volunteer work. I know a bit of Arabic, maybe advanced intermediate, if that makes any sense. Do you know where I'd be qualified to work?

Ideally I want to teach secondary students. I'm mostly interested in culture and getting to know the locals. It'd be nice too if I could improve my Arabic as well. Socially, I'm not a night owl. I don't party, drink or smoke but I do like to be around some cinemas, malls/shopping centers and it'd be nice if there is a good variety of restaurants.

I'm single Muslim female. Would this affect my chance of getting a job? Do I have to look American to get a job? I know that some Arab countries and schools prefer more 'secular' teachers. Would wearing hijab hinder my job prospects? My name is pretty Western but I'm often confused for Omani or Egyptian.

As of right now the countries I'm looking at the most are: Oman, Yemen, U.A.E. (the smaller Emirates), Egypt, Libya and Jordan. However, I'm pretty much open minded about anywhere.

And just out of curiosity, where do you think the friendliest people are? Razz
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Saudi? Reply with quote

Saudi does offer that one great perk for Muslims and their families. You might be able to get the umhra and hadj in for yourself and other close relatives. The main questions are: "Can and do you want to live in a segregated society?"

Others will tell you differently, but I found Kuwait to be a tolerant place. I think I've mentioned before that it is one place in the Gulf that students have actually told me that there is a small percentage of Jewish and Christian nationals. My students, at least, seem to step very carefully around the Shiite and Sunni situation. There is a "we won't ask, and you don't have to tell" attitude.

I found in the UAE that my students would ask, and one's affiliation did matter, in their eyes.

Your experience in the Middle East depends a lot on the company with which you are working. Other folks have had a miserable time in Kuwait. Some people work for a lovely company in Saudi. Your employer and your colleagues can make or break your experience in any country in the Middle East.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Which country is best for me? Any suggestions? Reply with quote

Miss_Sha wrote:
Ideally I want to teach secondary students. I'm mostly interested in culture and getting to know the locals. It'd be nice too if I could improve my Arabic as well. Socially, I'm not a night owl. I don't party, drink or smoke but I do like to be around some cinemas, malls/shopping centers and it'd be nice if there is a good variety of restaurants.

Well, in the magic kingdom (Saudi Arabia) there is no cinemas, so I recommend that you avoid the magic kingdom for the time being!

Quote:
I'm single Muslim female. Would this affect my chance of getting a job?

No.

Quote:
Do I have to look American to get a job?

NO.
Sometimes looking like American might bring you harm than good, especially in some 'hot' countries!

Quote:
I know that some Arab countries and schools prefer more 'secular' teachers.

Where? And why?!

Quote:
Would wearing hijab hinder my job prospects?

No and Yes.
It will depends on the 'politics' of the country!

Quote:
My name is pretty Western but I'm often confused for Omani or Egyptian.

Well, then it would be better if you first try Egypt or Oman, because people will confuse you with an Egyptian from the south or an Omani from the north! Laughing

Quote:
As of right now the countries I'm looking at the most are: Oman, Yemen, U.A.E. (the smaller Emirates), Egypt, Libya and Jordan. However, I'm pretty much open minded about anywhere.

Well, avoid Yemen and Libya, and go for Oman or UAE.

Quote:

Well, I think they are on the moon! Laughing
Miss Sha, each country, including China, has good and bad people, so it is up to you how you find them! Always keep your eyes wide open when you are in a foreign country, you never know who is watching you!

Good luck.

------------------------------
King Cobra 007.
Miss_Sha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Which country is best for me? Any suggestions? Reply with quote

007 wrote:
Miss_Sha wrote:

Well, in the magic kingdom (Saudi Arabia) there is no cinemas, so I recommend that you avoid the magic kingdom for the time being

Really? You know, I have a Saudi friend from Qatif and he said there aren't any cinemas in the KSA. But I thought maybe his town was just boring and that you could find them in Jeddah, Riyadh, Dammam and other larger cities. But then again, Qatif is pretty big.
Quote:
Where? And why?!

The first place that comes into mind is Tunisia. I'm not entirely sure why they prefer it but I guess it's because they want to minimize the influence of religion in education and politics. I was thinking it might be similar in Lebanon and perhaps Jordan.
Miss_Sha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Saudi? Reply with quote

Gulezar wrote:
Saudi does offer that one great perk for Muslims and their families. You might be able to get the umhra and hadj in for yourself and other close relatives. The main questions are: "Can and do you want to live in a segregated society?"

The gender segregation doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fact that I can't drive. Have they done anything to change that law about women driving? Or are personal drivers affordable?

I can survive without men, but I kinda need transportation. Laughing
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Which country is best for me? Any suggestions? Reply with quote

Miss_Sha wrote:
I know I'm going to get my bachelor's degree in TESL and I'm probably going to finish my master's degree as well. I have no actual teaching experience other than tutoring and some volunteer work. I know a bit of Arabic, maybe advanced intermediate, if that makes any sense. Do you know where I'd be qualified to work?

Ideally I want to teach secondary students.

So... you are still in high school? If you want to teach secondary level, get your BA/BSc in Secondary Education and be sure to get certified in the state where you get your degree. You can likely add ESL to this major although it is something that I have never looked into. That will take you 4 years. Then it will be another year or two to get your MA.

I think you have plenty of time to choose a country once you finish as the situations could be dramatically different by them. You could spend months just reading the information available on this board. You should also have the time to get some experience.

VS
Miss_Sha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Which country is best for me? Any suggestions? Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Miss_Sha wrote:

Ideally I want to teach secondary students.

So... you are still in high school? If you want to teach secondary level, get your BA/BSc in Secondary Education and be sure to get certified in the state where you get your degree. You can likely add ESL to this major although it is something that I have never looked into. That will take you 4 years. Then it will be another year or two to get your MA.

I think you have plenty of time to choose a country once you finish as the situations could be dramatically different by them. You could spend months just reading the information available on this board. You should also have the time to get some experience.

VS

No, no. Smile
I'm in college already. I just started my final year so I'm pretty certain I'll finish my degree. I'm not entirely sure about my MA but I think I'll go ahead and pursue it.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no cinemas in KSA, although (censored) copies of foreign DVDs are fairly easily available.

Quote:
Have they done anything to change that law about women driving?

No.

Quote:
Or are personal drivers affordable?

Having a full time personal driver would be expensive, and a hassle to arrange. However, taxis are fairly cheap and reliable.

Regarding your choice of country in general, I would say that if your aim is to improve your Arabic and make local friends, you should avoid the Gulf - with the possible exception of Oman. This is because in most of the Gulf countries, you won't have much contact with the locals outside the classroom, nor will you get much chance to practice your Arabic, both because English is widely spoken, and many of the people you'll be dealing with will not be Arabs.

Gulezar makes a very important point: your employer has a lot of influence on your quality of life in this part of the world. A nasty employer (and they do exist) can make your life miserable, and a good employer (yes, they also exist) can mean that you can be quite content even in an 'unappealing' location. The best advice is for you to do a lot of research - on this board and elsewhere - before taking up any job in the Gulf countries. It can make all the difference.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleo is right. If I were you, young and new to the field and wanting to polish up my Arabic while teaching, I would put North Africa or the Levant at the top of my list to research. Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan may all be better choices depending on the news at the time you are searching. Each of these countries have their pros and cons, of course. But you live within the culture (rather than with your fellow expats as you do in the Gulf) and must use Arabic daily - although one can survive with pretty basic skills.

Back to your education... I want to repeat that to teach HS you really need a (US state) teaching certificate for the better jobs. Will you be eligible at graduation? If not, I would look into what you would need to do to add it. It may require a couple more courses and student teaching. This is also crucial if and when you want to return to the US to get a decent job. Getting an MA prepares you to teach university level.

VS
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

several points
- your ease of going to haj is unclear because you still need to get into the quota of pilgrims given to the usa or your home country. umra i believe has no quotas but you would have to go in a group and registere and stay with that group. groups go all the time, but you would have to find a group that has english speaking females.
- some private high school will not hire you even if you are american and certificed IF YOU WEAR the veil. schools owners/managment can have bias and want 'the western look' - whatever that is. for example, in kuwait i can speak with experince most private schools will not consider hiring a western teacher who is hijabed
- ditto to state certification; however, the top private high school will not hire you without experience after certification of at least 5 years. most schools will at least look at you and some will interview you. it's competitive, most teachers in the top private high schools have at least 10 years teaching experience after certification
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Which country is best for me? Any suggestions? Reply with quote

Miss_Sha wrote:

IMHO...Syria...hands down Exclamation Very Happy

Miss_Sha wrote:
No, no. Smile
I'm in college already. I just started my final year so I'm pretty certain I'll finish my degree. I'm not entirely sure about my MA but I think I'll go ahead and pursue it.

Now, VS will tell you for any serious job, especially, in the U.A.E. and thereabouts...that you're better off with a Master's. And, she's right! BUT, you mentioned earlier that you wanted to teach secondary students... and that made me suspicious that you want to get into the International school game. If that's true, then a Master's can be a real hinderance (take this from a frustrated international school applicant) as that would automatically put you in a higher income bracket, which international schools definitely avoid and the bottom-line is a big thing with them. I'm not saying that you wouldn't get a job with an international school, but it would definitely curtail the amount of schools that would consider you. Crying or Very sad Also, you would need to be certified to teach in your country.

If you're thinking about tertiary employment, then it's a relevant Master's (TESOL/TEFL/TESL/Applied Linguistice) or a B.A. and a well-recognised cert, such as DELTA or CELTA. All others need not apply! Very Happy

NCTBA
allyp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working in UAE for the ministry and we are still looking for suitable applicants. They are insisting on a masters or at least someone who has started one. I am enjoying my role, great people, great benefits... MAG program got some pretty negative reviews last year but seems to have settled this year.

I would think an American trained teacher with some Arabic would be snapped up!
Miss_Sha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help so far. I have some more questions. Smile
1) You all say that I should reconsider going to the gulf (with the exception of Oman) due to the fact that most people are not natives. Does this include Saudi Arabia?
2) What are the job requirements for me to work at a university? I guess that pays more and from what I've heard, Arab high schools can be more than a little frustrating.
3) Besides the gulf, where are the good jobs and pay at?
4) What is there to do for fun in Saudi Arabia?
jdl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Oman! It is friendly and accepting. Your Arabic would be an asset and your headscarf appreciated. Pay is good at the colleges and the work is enjoyable. It is a good place to 'break in'
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

being a muslim and a marginal arabic speaker would most definately be a plus when approaching priate school which put an islamic twist on their curricullum
i know 2 schools in kuwait that would hire you , single or not
aca and al rhaya(SP)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: