Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work Advisory Warning for Taiwan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are You Teaching in the Same School that Issued Your ARC?
Yes
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
No
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Not Sure
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

Aristotle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have an APRC and an Open Work Permit. Can I be deported for working in a kindergarten?

A little research will prove in fact that you can and most probably will be deported. Have a look at the Charles Mack (a.k.a. Chocolate) deportation.
He too had an APRC and legal guarantee under the now defunct laws that he could not be deported without trial and was granted the same rights as a Taiwanese citizen. In reality however a senior, self appointed bureaucrat usurped those rights and arbitrarily ordered him deported without trial and in direct contradiction of law passed by the national legislature of the the R.O.C.
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2004/01/31/2003096891/print
Come now, you have been here long enough to know the answer to that question.
Welcome back to Taiwan,
A.
brian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in my post in response to this question, I am very confident that you wouldn't be deported for working within a kindergarten provided that you had your work permit through that school or it's affiliated company and are paying taxes etc.

Charles Mack wasn't teaching kindergarten and therefore comparing his situation to the question posed is a very tenuous link. Bear in mind that he had been implicated in a number of illegal activities in Taiwan, and failed to qualify for health reasons to maintain his residence here. I think that what happened to him was a disgrace, and something that Taiwan should be very embarrassed about, but I don't see that it in any way equates to the discussion on this thread.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Ministry of Education of the Republic of China Reply with quote

Kindergartens have never been allowed to sponsor work permits. For a few months foreign teachers were allowed to teach in these schools provided they had written permission from their ARC sponsor, filed and approved with the local MOE administrator.
That is now prohibited and anyone working in a kindergarten is doing so illegally and subjecting their employers to the risk of extortion by the Ministry of Education of the Republic of China.
The rationale for this is obvious. The MOE recently had it's authority to authorize work permits to Foreign Teachers revoked because of all the bribes they were forcing private schools to pay them. In retaliation and to maintain their authority to extort bribes from private schools they have created the recent ambiguity in regulations. There is a major political shift expected next month and many of these officials are expected to flee to avoid accountability for their actions.
Any of you R.O.C. government cronies better keep your heads down.
They don't deport ROC nationals and you can be sure your reputations will follow you.
A.
brian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ministry of Education of the Republic of China Reply with quote

Aristotle wrote:
Kindergartens have never been allowed to sponsor work permits.

I didn't say that they had. What I said was that provided you are working for a school (chain school) or company that has provided you with your ARC I haven't seen that you would get into any real strife working within a kindergarten. I am aware that everyone says that it is illegal to actually work in a kindergarten - but can anyone provide a specific link to this, by way of a government website. All that I have read on the official side says that foreigners can work within kindergartens.

This seems to have been borne out by the recent comments of government officials regarding foreigners in kindergartens.

If you work for a chain school and they place you within their kindergarten program, for which you are paying taxes etc., then it seems to me that you need not be overly concerned about the recent activity. It is aimed towards getting schools to follow the regulations about the teaching of English, rather than a witch-hunt for foreigners working within these schools as some have suggested.

As always, if you are working illegally or your ARC is with a completely different school or company then you could expect to get into some strife - however the fact that you are working at a kindergarten has no relevance here. You would be in strife working in this way within any company.
killian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian, can you read chinese? if not, and for the sake of the folks playing at home...

go directly to the famous and much beloved www.tealit.com.

click on the "forum" option.

after following the aforementioned link look to the top of page. look for the link highlighted in red: "foreigners prohibited from teaching kindergarden in taiwan." click on the red letters. should be everything you need, including copies of the official edicts/orders.

tealit ain't good, but they do "special reports" such as this really well.
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently interviewed at a school with a kindergarten. I asked them about the kindergarten situation. They were surprisingly honest (I think they liked me). They told me the arc they would have issued would be from their cram school only, not for the kindie (that's how it is everywhere). In the event of a visit from officials, I would have been notified to stop teaching my kindie class immediately and leave the room. Since they are also a cram school, it would not have mattered if I was found on site. In this case, I would simply lie and tell them I am there on cram scool business. They were quite frank with me concerning the situation re: kindergartens. They told me that currently no kindie is legal work, but every kindie has a foreigner. I haven't agreed with Aristotle much recently, but I think he might be right on this one. It might be wise to avoid kindies right now.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The national elections are next month and the ruling party is expected to lose badly. Hopefully that will facilitate major changes in personal at all levels of civil service. Particularly persons who have been abusing their positions.
This should all be over by April.
This persecution of Foreign teachers on the part of the Republic of China government is however an excellent opportunity for any and all teachers being affected to formally protest these action here on Taiwan and in their native countries. A simple email would be sufficient.
For more info please contact SSETT.
A.
Pop Fly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle wrote:
The national elections are next month and the ruling party is expected to lose badly. Hopefully that will facilitate major changes in personal at all levels of civil service. Particularly persons who have been abusing their positions.
This should all be over by April.
A.

Or be much worse. Do you think the Pan Blues won't be up for a little graft? They set the bar on how much a government can skin from the people. They wrote the book and its called KickBack. The KMT will figure out how to not only dig deeper into the Buxibans' pockets, but they will get their tiny grubby betelnut-stained little fingers into ours as well.

Wasn't 2/28 over the people somehow avoiding paying tax on cigarettes? And our soon to be "ruling party"'s manner of dealing with such insolence was to kill, to gun down in cold blood, a lot of its citizenry.

or Taiwanian Square if you get my drift.

I don't think the DPP will be around much longer, but the next 4 years will see radical change here and most probably in an extremely negative way for our profession.

Local attitude is predominately "Wu Wei" from discussions I've had with my friends and students. Do nothing because there is nothing you can do. Chinese are great followers and have not yet realized the power of the people's voice. Yes, the KMT will seize power next month, yes, there will be changes, that affect us and it will be a bumpy ride, and yes, I have my seatbelt strapped. I am settled in. I teach adults.

and because of this, I don't really give a rat's arse about Kindy teachers...BooHooHooo....I never believed we should be employed in anything lower than Buxiban.....leave the kids to be kids....

Then, even at the Buxi level...the confucian learning approach taught at all the schools here damage the students eventual ability to actually speak. A fifteen yr old can spend a year working their heart out at Kojen or Hess or Joy or David's and still never be able to give out simple directions to a lost tourist. Sure, they can spell 1000 words, but they have no, zero, none, confidence for conversation.

Confucian study methods are great for Maths and Sciences, for Athletics and anything else in Academe....it is absolutely the worst approach to take when acquiring a second language.

To that end, I hope the KMT nukes the entire system and begins anew.
killian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doncha think, maybe...jus maybe the KMT is gonna wanna open a canna whoopass once it slides back in power?

all those laowai english teachers...calling the KMT bad things 'n teaching the kids what really happened on 2/28...do ya really think the KMT forgets? the KMT got hoodwinked into democracy. Lee teng Hui pulled a fast one on em. what's that ol song? "screaming, screaming for vengeance!"

the butcher of taipei and a certain wife beater are gonna gonna go to the mattresses and all old accounts are gonna be settled.

enjoy reading the taipei times? read it while you can. remember reading the taipei times before CSB? they started publishing about the same time he got in office. coincidence? won't it be grand the choices: china post or that other one. we already only get CNN, the time warner baby. everyone should realize that for two generations time has been overly kind to the KMT, dating back to Soong Mei Ling. gonna get objective coverage there? nah. is that why we can't get bbc instead? don't "freemarkets" offer choices?

yeah,yeah,yeah..."ni xiang tai duo le!"
Aristotle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way for the KMT to roll back democracy is to have the military take over. The military is overwhelmingly Taiwanese.
The KMT would fail and be chased out of the island.
They have to play the game and that means doing a better job than the DPP did in all areas. The KMT has the money and quanxi to make almost anything happen.
killian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"the military is overwhelmingly Taiwanese"...say what? the military is a bastion of the KMT. there has been open speculation that the KMT army won't actually fight their counterparts across the straights and that the military leadership would resort to tactics similar to those the union comanders used early on in the war between the US states: malinger, malinger, malinger. until very recently, one wasn't promoted without being a memeber of the party. one could not get commissioned without being a card carrying member. where do old taiwanese generals retire to?

can you have a democracy without a free press? apple daily, next and the taipei times...among the most free of taiwan's press are all new within the paast four years. would any of them ever come to fruit if theyu had been sown on the KMT's rocky soil?

it will indeed be fascinating to see if the KMT tries to put the genie back in the bottle.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is true. The vast majority of R.O.C. military comanders are from mainland China. A military coup means that they take over government with the consent of military alone. Without the support of the people the Generals would have to rely on the loyalty of their Taiwanese troops.
In a professional army that might be a possibility but in the slave army of the Republic of China....
Who do you think is going to take the first bullet. The Taiwanese President of Taiwan or the Mainland General giving the order to the Taiwanese soldier to shoot the Taiwanese president?
A coup is no longer an option and hasn't been for over a generation, if the KMT wants to stay in the game they have to play by the rules.
tweed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my ARC and apparently it has the name of my school but no location on it. There are 10 branches of my school so is this sketchy?
-T
Polina

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused At least it has the name of your school on it: I was working for a chain of about the same size and found out that my ARC had a completely different school's name on it: now that's sketchy. If your school is legally linked to the chain, then maybe it's a good sign. Is your contract the same as for the other schools in the chain?
brian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tweed wrote:
I just got my ARC and apparently it has the name of my school but no location on it. There are 10 branches of my school so is this sketchy?
-T

Your ARC doesn't list your workplace address. It does have the Chinese name of your employer on it however. This name should match the registered Chinese name of your place of employment - which should be hanging on a wall somewhere in the school. You can check this yourself.

In some cases chain schools will register you with one school and then have you work at that and other schools. Technically, it is illegal for you to be working at any other location other than the one listed on your ARC, but it is accepted that chains do this. Provided that you are working for the one chain and paying taxes, you are quite safe.

If you are not happy about this then see if your school can arrange all of your hours at the location on your ARC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: