Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work Advisory Warning for Taiwan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are You Teaching in the Same School that Issued Your ARC?
Yes
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
No
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Not Sure
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

tweed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I must check my contract to see what name is on it but I'm pretty sure that all the locations are the same. I was wondering if only putting the name of the chain was a way of allowing me to work at several locations legally but since legally is such a loose term I will just be content with what I have and not ask anymore questions. If replies had popped up saying that my situation was horribly wrong then I would begin to worry and try to affect some changes. Thank you both for giving me a bit of peace of mind in this otherwise unstable environment!
killian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can only work at the address printed on the front of your ARC.

reads like the school is paying a fast one, but could be a typo (not!). ask them to clarify. if you are OK with dashing about town to different locales (some teachers like it, others don't) be sure to stipulate provisions for travel time/expenses. ask for a scooter. you are their cash cow...eat good grass...cause cash cows all get slaughtered in the end.

each chain school is independently owned and operated.

even folks who strive to be "legal" in taiwan are technically illegal. don't feel bad. make your money and play stupid.

should you be deported for working outside the parameters of your work permit, i will not be held liable for bad advice.
brian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another that you really should reel in since you put it out there. The activities that you refer to were, as predicted by most, a flash in the pan and have long since ended. It might be time to set the record straight don't you think.
wood

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People working in Taiwan have it pretty good, provided they do things legally.

These work advisory warnings, or whatever they're called, issued by Aristotle don't make much sense to many of us here. He'd probably say it was because we are naive.

Whenever I read them, I wonder if he's in the same place as I am. And the conclusion I reach is that clearly he isn't.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
These work advisory warnings, or whatever they're called, issued by Aristotle don't make much sense to many of us here. He'd probably say it was because we are naive.

Does that mean you don't want to be made aware of the potential dangers?
wood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle wrote:
Quote:

Does that mean you don't want to be made aware of the potential dangers?

Nope. That's not it. It's always good to be aware of potential dangers. It's also a good idea to retain your perspective while doing so.

Chicken Little said the sky was falling. He was really convinced of it.

Maybe it's the scary picture of Che Guevara that is misleading. I'm sure your intentions are good, but it seems to me that your warnings might actually be making a mountain out of a molehill. I'm not saying that you expressly intend to exaggerate, but it does come across as a bit overblown--particularly for those of us living here.

On the other hand, maybe people new to Taiwan need a little extra caution. And maybe your warnings are good for them. Us questioning your warnings provides a little balance.

Better safe than sorry, I guess.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Maybe it's the scary picture of Che Guevara that is misleading. I'm sure your intentions are good, but it seems to me that your warnings might actually be making a mountain out of a molehill. I'm not saying that you expressly intend to exaggerate, but it does come across as a bit overblown--particularly for those of us living here.

On the other hand, maybe people new to Taiwan need a little extra caution. And maybe your warnings are good for them. Us questioning your warnings provides a little balance.

What about all those people who showed up for work one day believing they were obeying the law and paying their taxes. They were arrested and deported without pay or appeal.
Just because it has not happened to you does not mean it doesn't happen or it won't happen.
Be aware their is little justice or civil rights for foreigners on Taiwan.
Good luck,
A.
wood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle wrote:
Quote:

What about all those people who showed up for work one day believing they were obeying the law and paying their taxes. They were arrested and deported without pay or appeal.

Which people? How often does this happen? Got any statistics? I've known lots of English teachers here and it seems that most of them have heard of people being deported, arrested, etc. That's the way it is for most of us. None of my friends have been either arrested or deported. Is this something that happens weekly? Give me some numbers so that I can get a better perspective. Blanket warnings make it seem that this sort of thing could happen to any of us. I don't believe this is the case.

Convince me that I'm wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: