Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salaries in Study Centres and Language Schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SydGirl2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Salaries in Study Centres and Language Schools Reply with quote

Hi there! Can anyone give me a rough idea of salaries in study centres and language schools in Singapore? Also is an accommodation allowance usually offered? The main reason I am asking is that some ads ask for all the usual details plus"expected salary". I would like to be realistic when giving a figure. Thanks.
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: salaries at language schools Reply with quote

You will need at least S$3.5 thousand plus housing allowance per month. My research informs me that there are many �scum bag� language schools with such poor contracts that even an Australian cattle drover would not allow his / her dog to work under such appalling conditions.

For instance: one language school whose recent contract included such clauses that you MUST have a mobile phone (so that you are on call 24-7-52) so that you and your time are controlled by the oligarchies of that school.

This same contract states that you must give 3 months notice of finishing your job, while, the same organisation can give you NO notice at all as they can sack you on the spot for what ever reason . . . real or imagined, . . . just to pander to the parents whose royal little prince or princess does not like you! My investigation reveals that this breaks Singapore Labour Laws which states that the same work place conditions MUST apply to both employer and employee.

Recent posts inform the reader/s that housing costs has gone up and if you pay S$2K p/m for accommodation then you will not save much money for travelling to Malaysia, Kalimantan and neighbouring Asian countries. Your time spent on the island of Singapore will be reasonably boring and frustrating.

If you do not get S$4K p/m then you are asking for trouble!

There are a lot more problems with working / teaching on Singapore so please feel free to PM me at any time.

Krakatoa
dolmie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: have to agree with k Reply with quote

I have to agree with Krakatoa. My own rent was 1400 for a lovely condo last year. The landlord wants 2200 for it now. This is happening all over town and constantly in news headlines. I'm afraid the only expats who are going to do well in Singapore for the next while will be those who are coming on very nice contracts. Try and follow the housing market--it's definitely an issue here and the city can be very expensive.

I can't imagine living in Singapore on less than 3000 per month. Short term stays mean you have to pay 15% tax, which is billed at the end and withheld from your last pay. It's much lower if you are here for about a year.
k1w1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SydGirl2, you have mail. Very Happy
SydGirl2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Salaries in Study Centres and Language Schools. Reply with quote

Thanks for that information k1w1. I have sent you a PM.
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone pm me a website with with Singapore job postings? Where can I find current English teaching job openings in Singapore?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: