Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PM me please on teaching/living in Singapore.Thank you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
North Pole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: PM me please on teaching/living in Singapore.Thank you. Reply with quote

I wonder could you please tell me a little about teaching and life in Singapore.

I was reading on the Singapore Ministry Education website [MOE] and the asiaxpat web site trying to gather information i.e. on the cost of a flat in Singapore.

The price of a flat seemed to be really expensive!...starting at around $2000 S$! I would only want to know cost of a basic small flat... My reading tells me the closer to Orchard Rd. the more expensive...

Serviced apts seemed also to be expensive... Of course, I am unsure how new, and reliable this cost info on housing is...

I know that different rental people have different terms of lease, but from your knowledge can one rent on a monthly basis or is there usually a 6 month min or even a 12 month min?

I guess there are deposits always... Would you know info on that... is it like a three month upfront amount to get into a flat, generally speaking?

I was also reading that the tenant often find that they end up being responsible for repairs to to a flat for things that in North America one would not be responsible for... In short, I understand that getting any flat deposit returned be a problem.

I was also reading that internet, TV, cell phone contracts are 18-month min? Would you know if that is the case?

MOE... I understand that EFL teaching with the Ministry is not really a job option as English is the principal language of instruction.

If one was teaching for the MOE as an English teacher, would it be correct to assume that I would be the person in sole charge of the class?Evaluation,testing,parent night etc etc. Often I have found that I would be in the class with the regular native teacher, but I was regarded as an assistant to that teacher, and we did co-teaching.

Do you know generally, what the class sizes are with the MOE? Is discipline a problem/ motivation.etc? The length of the school day with the MOE? Any week-end work with the MOE?

Are the classes mixed [boys with girls] with the MOE? I would think they are but...

I was reading that July/August are teaching months in Singapore with the MOE... As you may know that is summer vacation time in North America? - A bit of a conflict/adjustment there...

Do you have any idea [apx] what the MOE might pay? ... 15 years experience... Seems impossible to find their salary grid...

Would you know if they have any housing allowance, gratuity etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: