Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How is it for non-Caucasian TEFL teachers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bfrog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: How is it for non-Caucasian TEFL teachers? Reply with quote

I didn't put this in the racism thread in Brazil because this is specifically about English teachers. From what I gather doing research on this board, it's naturally more difficult to get a job as a TEFL teacher if you don't fit into the mold of Western media. I'm Canadian born with Chinese roots, and apparently that latter fact automatically disqualifies me from any decent teaching job in Asia and the Middle East. After doing some other reading in the LA forums, it seems in Argentina it isn't a big of a problem. I'm wondering specifically about Brazil though, and if anyone could give any input on being a non-Caucasian TEFL teacher that would be awesome.
icehockey23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: RE: Teaching in Brazil for non-caucasian native English spks Reply with quote

Hi Bfrog

I am a Canadian "caucasian" living in Brazil. I just completed CELTA in Sao Paulo. I can tell you a little about my experience in Brazil. To be honest I have not done much teaching because I am trying to avoid it. (ive done enough of it in other places). First of all, I dont think it is that much of a problem if you dont look like most of the models in an Abercrombie and Fitch catalog. However, (i am about to make a huge generalization so pls. forgive me) Brazilians are not so much concerned with the color of your skin or race but they are concerned with your social status, ie., how much cash you've got and what kind of shoes you are wearing. My experience is that appearances in Brazil (and to a lesser extent brains) are very important here - aren't they everywhere?
I usually wear flip-flops, t-shirt and shorts (because i spent ten years wearing a suit)- on first appearance to Brazilians basically I look poor - however once i open my mouth and they hear my Portuguese their attitude can often change.
So OK yes there is racism here as there probably is everywhere but if you have some real teaching credentials, look and act professional it wont be a problem.
BTW - finding a job teaching English in Brazil is probably not a problem - making a decent salary can be.
bfrog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info bud. It's really interesting. Do you have any opinion on what it would be like for people who are obviously learning Portuguese as they go?
icehockey23

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure exactly what you mean "as they go" . . . If you mean come to Brazil without any Portugurese and try and work or study or vacation here it should not be a problem - I think it is fair to say that the vast majority of people do not speak English like most other countries in the world but - In my experience Brazilians have a lot of patience for those foreigners who do put some effort into trying to speak Portuguese (unlike a lot of North Americans regarding non-native English speakers)
nikon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: i agree with icehockey Reply with quote

Ive been in and out of brazil for more than 25 years, have a residence visa thru marriage, have been brike at least 3 times in Brazil, and currently working in saudi to put some cash away, to retire.
I believe that you can get work in brazil from teaching English, but hard to get enough, or to get ahead.
I will be going back to Ilheus to live , a one horse town on the ocean in Bahia, that I came to like as well as at times to hate.(thats Brazil- the good, the bad, and the ugly)
I won't try to teach much, but to do sales, translating, help the locals make contact with foreign business people, whatever i can do to bring in some cash.
good luck to you, and all of you
from
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: