Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMERICAN UNIVERSITY OF THE MIDDLE EAST (Kuwait)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grab-bag

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they offer to pay for your flight and hotel expenses? If not forget it, they are another make a fast buck institutions that are cropping up in the region. This place has not had good reviews at the moment.

Try AUK - they have a better reputation.
bedwiya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Part of the shell game Reply with quote

Owned by the guy who changes the name of his language institute every few years so people can't connect the dots to its poor reputation. Egomaniac who simply likes to listen to his own voice churn out great expectations which of course will never materialize. Don't know anyone teaching there now, but spying, intimidation and total control were the rule of thumb at his other business. Don't expect it will be much different at AUME. Don't know how Purdue agreed to sell their reputation to an outfit like this.
rowntree

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bedwiya- your warnings will fall on deaf ears unless we know what the previous owner owned.......However, I have heard that AUME is the place to go if you have failed Arabic High School......
bedwiya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: AUME Reply with quote

He used to own a chain called New Horizons (think he still owns a few of them in other areas of the Gulf); then he changed it to Human Soft (another franchise I think). It's not the only place for Kuwaitis who have failed high school - GUST is taking their fair share too. All of them are for kids who couldn't get into Kuwait University. They have become nothing more than diploma mills now.
rowntree

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the same Horizons group rumoured to be buying KES?
bedwiya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: KES Reply with quote

I haven't heard about that rumor, but probably is the same businessman. Possibly if he can own a K-12 then this will make his outfit appear more "legit".
adamay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: any update on your interview Reply with quote

tiptronic wrote:
Hello,
I had an initial phone interview with the AUM and then they wanted me to pay a two-day visit to Kuwait to discuss further.
Is there anybody possessing a specific knowledge about the package they offer to a Ph.D. holder for the position of "Assistant Professor"?
Thank you very much.

I am in similar position like you. I appreciate your feedback.
thank you
adamay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: feedback Reply with quote

tiptronic wrote:
Hello,
I had an initial phone interview with the AUM and then they wanted me to pay a two-day visit to Kuwait to discuss further.
Is there anybody possessing a specific knowledge about the package they offer to a Ph.D. holder for the position of "Assistant Professor"?
Thank you very much.

would you please share your feedback with us?
sliderama

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anything new on these guys? i have an interview coming up...
tiptronic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: feedback Reply with quote

adamay wrote:
tiptronic wrote:
Hello,
Thank you very much.

would you please share your feedback with us?

Forget it like I did.
They are not serious and dependable.
Starfell

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard quite good reviews from some parents of students- tho we can't always count on that.The campus looks great- and Bairaq Mall only a stone's throw away if you need an escape!!
bedwiya

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parents of students in Kuwait are totally clueless as to how a properly run school should function. I taught kids for 7 years and only once did a parent actually ask about my qualifications. Never did parents ask to see the computer room, the library, the curriculum or even the state of the bathrooms. Parents pay WAY too much here for sub-standard education. That is why the lobby of every school is decorated to impress - unfortunately most parents will never bother to ask for a budget or hold the administration/owners accountable for the pathetic state of education in these private, expensive schools.
crazycatlady

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just had a skype interview with them. for some reason, though, they didn't turn on the video, so i couldn't see who i was talking to. hm.

the woman said that if i were shortlisted after this interview, i would be contacted for a second interview with the administration. and/or a campus visit to do an observed lesson.

she asked if i had any questions, and i said that i would be curious to see the course descriptions for the courses they offer. but she said that at this point, they don't provide that.

she asked about why i was leaving my current position, and seemed very interested in this. she also asked about my teaching style and why i was interested in working there.

the interview only lasted about 10 minutes, which i thought was strange. but i guess it was just a short one to narrow down applicants.
Starfell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like the idea of them seeing you but you don't get to see them, altho there have been some issues with skype here, perhaps they couldn't connect to you.
crazycatlady

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could have been because they couldn't connect to me, but she didn't try to fix it. when i told her i couldn't see her, she said something that i didn't catch, and then started the interview.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: