Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMERICAN UNIVERSITY OF THE MIDDLE EAST (Kuwait)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bje

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: AUE--in a box. Reply with quote

kdredsea wrote:
If you've been to KSA, you'll recognize it all over Kuwait, in the trashy streets, the dun-colored buildings, the malls looming as integral elements of local culture, the horrific drivers (male and female--how progressive) the indentured servants/TCN's doing all the work. Have fun. Good night and Good luck, AUE.

A very apt description. Sounds a rather surreal experience, yet oh so very 'Kuwait'. Did you end up being offered a position?
kdredsea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard another word from them.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdredsea wrote:

Perhaps they read your posts? Cool Always a hazard... or perhaps a blessing...

I remember that I was shocked when I arrived in Kuwait. It was so ramshackle and dirty that it reminded me more of Cairo than the rest of the Gulf I had visited or lived in - Oman, Bahrain, or the Emirates.

VS
kdredsea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A gift. really.
Chinaski

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on AUM, please?

[Apologies for stalking the AUM threads, but I have to get my post count up for sending PM's, somehow!]

Razz
bedwiya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: No updates Reply with quote

There are no updates about this school. It will only go from bad to worse...will never improve. I know many qualified, experienced teachers who were sacked from there without warning or cause. Don't expect it to ever get any better. Listen to the warnings of other posters on this site.
Chinaski

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up.

For others, I had a Skype interview and the lady interviewing me seemed very professional and personable.

I was told that I may be contacted in the future, as my master's is not yet "in hand", and one needs to already have a master's in hand before the university will fly you out for a personal interview and teaching demo, (provided you have passed 2 interviews via Skype...)

Chinaski^^
CdnInKorea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdredsea wrote:

I don't know if you'll read this because it was last year, but I'm confused: they flew you to Kuwait, interviewed/interrogated you, then flew you back out of the country? And put you up in a pricey hotel too? This doesn't seem like a wise use of university resources. Is this kind of thing normal there?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens. I was flown from the US to Kuwait for my interview at KU. I was also flown from Kuwait to Dubai a year later for an interview with AUS. It isn't terribly common though.

VS
NinaGeo

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: American University of the Middle East - AUM (Kuwait) Reply with quote

I just wanted to reply to all people who put his/her effort and shared their perceptions or experiences about AUM/ACM.

I myself work at AUM and all I can say is - we are ambitious, we are open, we are diverse, we are demanding and hard-working. We do the things with our heart, we respect and expect respect back.

As I see some comments here are mean but it says more about the people who wrote it rather than about AUM. Some of the comments are totally based on subjective perceptions that is not convincing for anybody at all.

We do really well, we are expanding, we are building, we are developing! And I'll bring a simple example from my experience - I see a huge difference between the time I started working there (2 years ago) and where we are now. I'm sure I will witness better and bigger achievements at AUM.

My dears, if you want to know some updates about AUM I'll be happy to share Smile
mashkif

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: American University of the Middle East - AUM (Kuwait) Reply with quote

NinaGeo wrote:
I just wanted to reply to all people who put his/her effort and shared their perceptions or experiences about AUM/ACM.

I myself work at AUM and all I can say is - we are ambitious, we are open, we are diverse, we are demanding and hard-working. We do the things with our heart, we respect and expect respect back.

As I see some comments here are mean but it says more about the people who wrote it rather than about AUM. Some of the comments are totally based on subjective perceptions that is not convincing for anybody at all.

We do really well, we are expanding, we are building, we are developing! And I'll bring a simple example from my experience - I see a huge difference between the time I started working there (2 years ago) and where we are now. I'm sure I will witness better and bigger achievements at AUM.

My dears, if you want to know some updates about AUM I'll be happy to share Smile

Nina: Please tell us - and I'm not being antagonistic in asking this - if it's true that A.U.M. faculty members have mandatory 8A.M. - 4P.M. campus presence? What are the working conditions like?

I heard from students that A.U.M. has a good English program, but I likewise heard from colleagues that faculty is treated like garbage, even worse than Box Hill. What gives
NinaGeo

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mashkif, we have normal 8 working hour days as it is excepted internationally, in universities among them. I've seen in the UK too (not to mention about Kuwait) that the professors stay normal working hours, why is it so surprising? In general, in GCC countries there are a lot of universities that have same standards.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinaGeo,

Here in the UK, lecturers/professors are treated as professionals and nobody monitors their comings or goings onto campus. If you are teaching, you are clearly available, but otherwise you can research wherever you like without being questioned. It is usual to post "office hours" when students can visit you on your door at university.

In Kuwait, we were all forced to clock-in and out from 8.00am to 4.00pm and any absences were noted. Explanations had to be given or pay was deducted. We were not trusted as professionals. As a result, teachers often spent half a day just chatting or drinking tea as we were about 25 in one open-plan space....impossible to get any research done.
NinaGeo

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know what organization you are talking about in Kuwait. Some of our professors already published their articles and books while working in AUM. From the next academic year we have bigger plans regarding research and professional development.

Could you please tell me what card swiping means in the UK when instructors arrive and leave? There is nothing wrong at least to know who is on campus and who is not to make sure that all classes are delivered and also for security reasons.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking for the US, university level teachers and professors are treated as professionals. One is required to be there for one's classes, for some office hours, and to attend departmental meetings. That normally means about 20 hours a week. Other than that, one is NOT required to be chained to one's desk like a factory worker or a secretary. And the idea of clocking or signing in would be considered ludicrous at best.

It is only in the Gulf that I found this ridiculous concept that teachers and professors must sit about 8 hours a day pretending to be busy. It is invariably an open plan nightmare or 3-5 in a room with a constant cacophony of conversation and ringing phones that makes any work impossible. Thus one spends all day wasting one's time and getting a headache when one could be at home in peace and quiet planning lessons or correcting papers. Which then becomes how one spends one's evenings...

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

You have now made it very clear that you are a member of the management AUME, and readers should keep that point in mind. There is no teacher that would ever try to justify this 40 hour week in the office silliness. (except perhaps one that is trying to run for the position of Head Brown Noser)

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: