Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

King Abdulaziz University?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Down Home

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: King Abdulaziz University? Reply with quote

I have an interview tomorrow for a job at King Abdulaziz University in Jeddah. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about teaching/living there?
Both my husband and I would be teaching.
They're offering 11,000/month, plus 17,000 housing per year (presumably double that for the 2 of us.)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: King Abdulaziz University? Reply with quote

Down Home wrote:
They're offering 11,000/month, plus 17,000 housing per year (presumably double that for the 2 of us.)

I wouldn't presume that if I were you because they hire teaching couples in order to save money on the benefit packages.

It would be more helpful for people to answer if you mentioned what you will be teaching and your credentials and experience.

VS
Sheikh N Bake

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS is right; universities in the Gulf do not double up on your housing benefits. And SR 11,000 isn't very good.
Asda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know a friend of mine who is working at KAU and they will not double the housing allowance for teaching couples - it's even on their website (look roughly halfway down this page):

http://www.kau.edu.sa/centers/elc/ELC%20Jobs.asp

Now, all things being equal, it is probably one of the better adult (tongue very much in cheek) EFL gigs in J-Town. You are only required to be on site for teaching and office hours. I hear some 'fellow colleagues' try to inform on teachers who come late and/or miss/cut office hours. It's 18 hrs/week teaching + 5 office hours.

OK, 11K is not great but unfortunately, there are nowhere near as many high-paid jobs nor as much volume of jobs compared to Riyadh (hey, it's the capital) and the East (all the black stuff under the ground is there). If money is the aim of the game, universities in more remote areas pay quite a bit more like Hail, Tabuk, Taif, Jizan etc but they are well baddu (bedouin)! I mean, it's their country but it would be very difficult to get by without reading and speaking Arabic.

If you want any more info and/or advice, happy to be of service or 'ay khidmah' as they say here! Very Happy
Down Home

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, all, for the great information. As we have been working with a recruiter, I didn't have the info about the university, or even know which uni it was until today. That's very helpful.
We'll see what happens, but I will push for a higher housing allowance if it comes to that. We like our creature comforts.
se_bocere

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at KAU and things are not going very well here to be honest. To be fair, we are in a transition period with a new director at the helm. He is over ambitious and tends to take everyone's advice, whether it is good or bad. Teacher's attendence is priority here and many of the teachers believe that they are even being watched by students.

As far as salaries go, it's okay. If you come with a working spouse you will not get double on the housing, furniture, or any other allowance.

I would advise people to look reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly hard for other options before coming to KAU or Saudi.
Sheikh N Bake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you be offered only SR 11,000? The job site clearly states 17,000 for BA holders and 18K for MA holders.
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

se_bocere wrote:
I work at KAU and things are not going very well here to be honest. To be fair, we are in a transition period with a new director at the helm. He is over ambitious and tends to take everyone's advice, whether it is good or bad. Teacher's attendence is priority here and many of the teachers believe that they are even being watched by students.

As far as salaries go, it's okay. If you come with a working spouse you will not get double on the housing, furniture, or any other allowance.

I would advise people to look reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly hard for other options before coming to KAU or Saudi.

But, isn't KAU Osama's alma mater? What's to worry? Go KAU!!!

NCTBA

Asda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheikh N Bake, I believe that's referring to the housing allowance.

In some ways, it's better to apply with your Batchelors degree with more experience rather than a newly obtained Masters. Though my friend said they will work out both ways and give you the one which pays you more (WOW!).

I have the formula for working out your basic salary, it's quite convoluted but PM ,me and I can give you a rough indication. All I need is the number of years experience. Do bear in mind that non-higher ed years count as half.
se_bocere

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be fooled. Everyone gets 17,000 ... BA, MA, it doesn't matter.
Mia Xanthi

Location: why is my heart still in the Middle East while the rest of me isn't?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hmmmmmm. Sounds like the average Saudi start-up to me. The good thing is that it will all calm down....in five years or so!
Sheikh N Bake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asda, the OP says

"They're offering 11,000/month, plus 17,000 housing per year (presumably double that for the 2 of us.)"

So she's referring to the pay as 11K. The job link says 17K for bachelor's and 18K for master's.
Asda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheikh N Bake wrote:
Asda, the OP says

"They're offering 11,000/month, plus 17,000 housing per year (presumably double that for the 2 of us.)"

So she's referring to the pay as 11K. The job link says 17K for bachelor's and 18K for master's.

Ya Shaikh! Ya habibi! *kiss you on the forehead*

Benefits: (See ELC's salary scale for more details)
1. Salaries are commensurate with qualifications and experience.
2. An annual housing allowance of :
a. SR 25,000 for Ph. D. holders
b. SR 18,000 for MA holders
c. SR. 17,000 for BA holders

AND from the table:

Accommodation Allowance:
A housing allowance of SR. 25,000, 18,000 or 17,000 depending on the candidate degree/- per annum for contractees.

If a husband and wife are both employed in the Kingdom, a housing allowance will only be paid to one of them.

Like I used to say to my students in England, RTFQ:

Read
The
F......ULL
Question Laughing

I miss teaching kids I could culturally (tho not always religiously) relate to. Ah well...
se_bocere

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND AS I STATED ABOVE .....

I WORK AT KAU AND THEY ONLY GIVE 17,000 REGARDLESS IF YOU HAVE A BA OR MA.

This is on the website now:

A housing allowance of SR. 17,000
If a husband and wife are both employed in the Kingdom, a housing allowance will only be paid to one of them.
(http://eli.kau.edu.sa/content.aspx?Site_ID=126&lng=EN&cid=9427&URL=www.kau.edu.sa)
matthew156

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we're on the topic of KAU, I just got an email from them for a telephone interview. I've already committed somewhere else in Saudi, signed contract and all. Should I go through the motions with them and not burn my bridges (networks)? Maybe even see what they are offering.

Regards.

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: