Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs ın Antalya

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theresa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Jobs ın Antalya Reply with quote

Hi ! Ive come to my senses after two months of New Russıans and Moscow in general and now realise that of course Turkey was the place to be all along. What are my chances of finding a job in Antalya? İts prob too late for the K12 schools. Does anyone have any advice for me? A job would be even better Laughing
ghost

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Antalya teaching Reply with quote

Antalya has three k-12 schools and two of them are still taking applications (Akev Koleji and Akdeniz Koleji). The third Koleji (Antalya Koleji) is no longer hiring for this year.

Stress level is high in the k-12 as the student behaviour is horrendous and support from administration virtually nil as the parents pay big bucks for the k-12 systems.

Antalya has around 12 language schools including American K�lt�r Dernegi and a few others. The pay at these places is not very good...you will be offered between 7-10 million per hour. Antalya is expensive and most people there treat foreigners badly seeing them as walking dollar or euro bills.

There are much better places to teach in Turkey.

By the way...Antalya is very rainy in winter. Yeah...it gets more rain than Trabzon in the form of very heavy showers. Trabzon is the kind of light drizzle common to places like Vancouver and Victoria (B.C.).
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Trabzon Reply with quote

I have a colleague here in saudi who taught in Trabzon. He says that it was a great experience. He was the only Yabanci teacher around. Maybe different now, but I think Trabzon is a bit off the beaten track, and probably there are not many foreigners about.

If it were me I would avoid the touristy places where as "ghost" says foreigners are all viewed as tourists with fat wallets and small brains.

Last edited by scot47 on Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
ghost

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Black sea regions Reply with quote

Yeah, the Black sea areas are often overlooked by foreigners...and maybe it's better that way, because if you go there you will be treated much better than the familiar places where foreigners usually go to.

Trabzon is a great place to live and work and so is Samsun which is actually larger and has a very good T�mer Institute for Turkish studies.
Trabzon has a great football team (actually no. 4 in the Turkish Super League) and many other cultural and entertainment diversions. A large University in Trabzon also offers teaching opportunities (if you have an M.A. or equivalent in Post Grad. Certs. and/or Diplomas). Some decent language schools also. Disadvantage is the drizzle which can last for weeks.

The best working gigs in Turkey are the University ones but recent cut backs mean that language teachers in the Unis. now have to teach 24 contact hours instead of 12, so the work load is less pleasant than in the past.
Theresa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Its true Reply with quote

Youre all right about the tourist traps of course. Its just that I was there last week and the weather was so much better than Moscow..... Trabzon and the N Coast do look interesting and it would be refreshing to be treated less cynically esp as a female. Am out of here in a month and will get on a plane back to Istanbul and see what happens.
ghost

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Turkey Reply with quote

Keep your options open. There are jobs to be found.

Right now I am working in a city heavily dependent on the local huge University. It's a good place to live and work and has a kind of 'Berkeley' atmosphere in the student enclave part of town. Lots of funky students here who hang out in the local coffee shops playing backgammon and general hedonistic pursuits. There are actually two Universities here with a local student population of over 100.000 students. Plenty of work in the language schools.

If you are interested in working here please send me a rough copy of your resume to the private message section and if you want I will pass on the info. to the relevant employers in the sector.

The jobs in this town all offer private accommodation and around 1.200.000.000 Turkish lira (about $800-850 U.S.). You will be able to save at least half of your money as life is very cheap here.
Theresa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Guess what!!! Reply with quote

Im in Antalya and its er raining..... And last week lessons were cancelled because it was actually impossible to get from a to b. Reminded me of the rainy season in Chiapas. Went to work in my poncey knee length boots from Paris and my feet were actaually swimming by the time I got there. I am now equipped with a pair of very functional WATERPROOF walking boots and an expensive good quality umbrella. Cant complain though as Im no longer in Moscow and things can only be better. Have been here a month and am still eating everything I see. I DO love this country Laughing Laughing Laughing
ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Antalya Reply with quote

Where are you working in Antalya? Amerika K�lt�r Dernegi, or the other big language school (something 'Dil' something) on Atat�rk Caddesi on the same street as McDonalds, but on the other side?

Was also offered work at the former place, but the owner talked a bit too quick.....hesitation meant turning the offer down.

Yes - Antalya is the rainiest place in Turkey in winter...due to the effects of the nearby mountains which create a micro climate in which rain clouds come and go. But you will have a week of rain followed by a week of sunshine...so hang in there.

If you want a decent place for a meal and a chat, go to the 'Nostalgi Pansiyon' on Atat�rk Caddesi...you can adopt and feed the cats in the pristine garden at that place. For a good meal, go next door to the 'Bizim Sofra' Restaurant. If you need a Turkish guide ask for 'Ramazan Eris' at the Nostalgi Pansiyon. You set the price.

For English newspapers and books, the excellent D&R bookstore and record shop on the same street, but near the Spor Salonu and stadium area, will fill your expat. needs in terms of reading materials. Avoid buying the New York Times Sunday edition - much too costly at 33.000.000 (that's right thirty three million lira). Some of the expats are protesting about that.. most foreign papers are in the 2 to 4 million range.

The cheap eating places and shops in the city are located on G�l�k Caddesi, a 15 mins walk from the town centre. Central Post Office also located there.

Take the dolmus past the Meltem area on the west side of town to go to the giant Migros Shopping Centre, where a choice of 8 Cinemas offer mostly English language films with Turkish subs. Price 7.500.000.

Excellent new running track opposite the 'Falez Hotel', where you can run. No charge for using the track (400 metres tartan track).

To take Turkish lessons head for T�mer (Univ. of Ankara) Institute, Antalya branch, located in the 'Dogul Garaj' area, very close to town centre. An 80 hour course costs U.S. $240.
FGT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I think I must have entered a parallel galaxy or something. Is this "our" Ghost actually recommending/praising something in this country?
dmb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am shocked and pleased.
Is this a New Year's resolution? Happy New Year Ghost
ghost

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Antalya Reply with quote

When living in a place for three months, one has to find ways to make the stay as enjoyable as possible.

Small things can add to an otherwise rather dull life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: