Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Other jobs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kellyp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Other jobs? Reply with quote

Ok I am trying to decide if teaching english is the best option for me. I have a bachelors, don't have teaching experience, am conversant in spanish and have contacts for a free homestay in Acapulco. they seem to think id be able to get a job working at one of the resorts there. Anyone have any thoughts on that? My ultimate goal is to learn spanish to get better than I am now but don't know how that will play into teaching english there. I also don't know what kind of english job prospects I have there either...
Any thoughts would be great....

thanks in advance
Samantha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

English teaching jobs in resorts are few and far between for a freelancer because these companies contract local language schools to supply teachers. You would definitely need teaching experience for that assignment, because resort workers are a tough crowd. They aren't terribly motivated to learn more English than they were hired with. The other problem for teachers in resort areas, is the pay isn't that great and getting a decent job takes time, even for those with experience. I have found that private classes for "business" English is the way to go. In my area, the majority of English teachers in the schools are Mexican, since they can tolerate the weather and can be counted on to stick around more than just a few months in the winter. The weather is brutal for about 6 months a year.
leslie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bye

Last edited by leslie on Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
ls650

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I lived in Huatulco, the typical wage for hotel or restaurant staff was about 100 pesos a day, plus maybe a few freebies such as a meal, bus transportation, uniforms, etc. Tips were a major part of their income.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: