Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polish attitude to foreigners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: harrumph Reply with quote

Oh that's ok then.

Poland's a lovely place but I don't rate the attitudes towards stuff one bit. Racism is just one of the things thats overt. And, if you know your history, there was a reason why the holocaust happened largely in Poland; Poles didn't like the Jews who lived amongst them. Emanuel Ringlebaum chronicled the very fact before he too was murdered by the Nazis in anti-Semetic Poland.
[email protected]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: harrumph Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
Oh that's ok then.

Poland's a lovely place but I don't rate the attitudes towards stuff one bit. Racism is just one of the things thats overt. And, if you know your history, there was a reason why the holocaust happened largely in Poland; Poles didn't like the Jews who lived amongst them. Emanuel Ringlebaum chronicled the very fact before he too was murdered by the Nazis in anti-Semetic Poland.

Sharter you should go back to high school and learn your history, (not to mention English it's anit-Semitic) This is just plain ignorant to live and teach in this country and not to know basic facts: Holocaust was caused by Nazi Germans, Poland lost the war and was occupied by Nazi Germany and Polish aren't more anti-Semitic than than any other nation in Europe.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
not to mention English it's anit-Semitic

...is it?
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I have a special interest in holocaust history. There were progroms in Poland after the war murdering Jews who returned. During the war Ringleblum (whose records were dug up), the chronicler of the Warsaw ghetto bore witness to the fact the Poles stood out in occupied Europe as those who helped the Jews the least. Pre-war the Jews were below the Russians and ethnic Germans in Polish society despite being wealthy. If you'd like to know more about it Martin Gilbert's 'The Holocaust' is a good starting point.

Poles are still xenophobic....just stop people in the street and ask them what they think of Germans, Russians and Gypsies. And, how many blacks do you see there? I'm pally with the tiny black community in Poznan and I can tell you what they say.

Or you could just relax and go for a swim in the pool on Zydowska in Poznan....afterall it was the Jewish synagogue.

I'm Christian, so have no axe to grind. Go and read some books sonny.

Last edited by sharter on Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: and Reply with quote

Furthermore, you didn't understand my point. I said Poles are xenophobic now and it has historical precedent.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: and Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
Furthermore, you didn't understand my point. I said Poles are xenophobic now and it has historical precedent.

It's true. They lack the idea of being 'politically correct' or at least don't care, in many cases.

A lot of stereotypes that would make you seem like a racist Neanderthal in the US or UK still persist here. Maybe in Warsaw not so much because it's so international.

Whatever, I'm a white, twenty-something male so for me it's no harm, no foul.

But I do get pissed off when my teenage students start casually throwing the 'n word' around however.
sharter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree with you, I think political correctness is often daft. Having to say 'thought shower' instead of 'brainstorm' (my high flying sis got a memo at work) is plain daft nuts. Where it relates to colour it's gone too far. I just think Poles lack sophistication. They do all sorts of stuff which ignores what one might call 'taste'. There was a 'short' on the BBC last year about Euro 2012 and they had a blck Warsaw player on who said he was scared of his own team's fans. Sadly, I think that most Polish fathers would be horrified to see their daughter come home with a black person. Kinda like Britain in the 70's. Of course, Polish commentators would say that Polish society is just 'conservative'. However, they did elect that Kaszynski, who was totally xenophobic not so long ago.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
While I agree with you, I think political correctness is often daft. Having to say 'thought shower' instead of 'brainstorm' (my high flying sis got a memo at work) is plain daft nuts. Where it relates to colour it's gone too far. I just think Poles lack sophistication. They do all sorts of stuff which ignores what one might call 'taste'. There was a 'short' on the BBC last year about Euro 2012 and they had a blck Warsaw player on who said he was scared of his own team's fans. Sadly, I think that most Polish fathers would be horrified to see their daughter come home with a black person. Kinda like Britain in the 70's. Of course, Polish commentators would say that Polish society is just 'conservative'. However, they did elect that Kaszynski, who was totally xenophobic not so long ago.

Fair enough. But don't you think that this is par for the course for a country that is so homogeneously white Catholic? It's hard to explain why the n-word can be offensive to people who have never seen a black person, for example.

How on earth could 'brainstorm' be offensive?
sharter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Something to do with epileptics I think......had a fit when my sister told me.
sharter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply tp p.semcz Reply with quote

I neither work nor live there now but have a Polish son (13). If he weren't there, I'd rarely visit. There are more beautiful mountains and beaches and there are places where you pay top prices for good quality instead of tosh. I've had an association with Poland since 1996 and have lived in Bydgoszcz, Warsaw and Poznan. I have an interest in war history. Too much new money in Poland now. When I think of Polish people, these are the adjectives that spring to mind; scheming, dour, nationalistic, neurotic, myopic and more than anything, chippy. The women are gorgeous but mostly not well read, high maintenance (financially and emotionally) and very vain....I've dated quite a few Wink. Step outside any rynek and you see the 'real' Poland.
dynow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharter wrote:

[/quote]Step outside any rynek and you see the 'real' Poland.[quote]

yes. i think all too often expats judge Poland and it's people based on what they see in the center of major cities. that's their exposure, that's how they judge.

the majority of poland is outside the major cities. if you added up the populations of warsaw, wroclaw, poznan, gdansk, krakow, etc. you'd probably still be under 10 million and there are what....40 million in poland today? i most certainly learned and felt more of poland sitting in apartment blocks in the villages of poland.
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Vietnamese are well thought of since their restaurants are popular. I have had good Vietnamese food in Krakow and Warsaw.

Jews are not always well thought of. I remember reading about a desecration at a cemetary in Lodz where at least one Jewish tombstone was deliberately knocked over.
I also saw a neo-nazi demonstration about 10 years ago in Warsaw's main train station. This is illegal, and these sorts will be arrested on the spot, if the cops are around.
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Poles think of themselves as the best Slavs. They will joke about the Russians, but not the Germans.

I remember hearing that Czech is a funny language, thought I don't know why Czech pronunciation would sound strange.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynow wrote:
sharter wrote:

Step outside any rynek and you see the 'real' Poland.
Quote:

yes. i think all too often expats judge Poland and it's people based on what they see in the center of major cities. that's their exposure, that's how they judge.

the majority of poland is outside the major cities. if you added up the populations of warsaw, wroclaw, poznan, gdansk, krakow, etc. you'd probably still be under 10 million and there are what....40 million in poland today? i most certainly learned and felt more of poland sitting in apartment blocks in the villages of poland.

Why would you want to spend your time marinating in some Polish redneck village? The cities are where it's at, both for work and a social life.

Leave trying to find the 'real' Poland to someone like Michael Moran.

(I guess if the wife is from there you don't have much choice.) Wink
sharter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: haha Reply with quote

I've said it for years; men stay in Poland because they bat above their average with the girls there. Some just don't like to admit it. Why on earth would any rational person put up with those winters, the bureaucracy, dour people and shite beer?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: