Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest QU Uppers 'n Downers
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
battleshipb_b



Joined: 14 Dec 2006
Posts: 189

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They advertise so they can go on recruitment trips. If they don't get rid of teachers every year, how can they profit from the travel perks, stay in 5 star hotels and fly to all the TESOL conventions? It's an old trick, fire people so you can go out on recruitment. Haven't the QU HR people figured this trick out yet?

In the magic kingdom they sure have, most universities have cut down on this kind of firing/hiring racket as it wastes time and money; they have sussed out the admin types who abuse the recruitment system and in some places have fired them for wasting university funds. The amount of money spent on admin guys wining and dining at TESOL conventions is ridiculous. QU like a lot of other places that are downsizing obviously doesn't need any new teachers since they have way too many so logically speaking, they shouldn't go head-hunting. But who says logic prevails. For the recruiters, it's just a load of freebies - time off work and free flights, free hotels and plenty of room service. The usual.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
battleshipb_b



Joined: 14 Dec 2006
Posts: 189

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

University roundabout to become intersection Friday, 03 February 2012 05:01



Share


DOHA: The University roundabout near Qatar University will be converted to an intersection. Work on the project will begin tomorrow, the Public Works Authority (Ashghal) said yesterday.

The new intersection will have three lanes horizontally and two lanes across, in addition to approach roads on the right side of the signal along Jamiaa Street.

The work will be carried out in phases. Two lanes on each direction will be kept open for traffic while work will continue on the other parts, in order to ensure traffic flow.

THE PENINSULA



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yellofello



Joined: 05 Jun 2007
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

battleshipb_b wrote:
They advertise so they can go on recruitment trips. If they don't get rid of teachers every year, how can they profit from the travel perks, stay in 5 star hotels and fly to all the TESOL conventions? It's an old trick, fire people so you can go out on recruitment. Haven't the QU HR people figured this trick out yet?

In the magic kingdom they sure have, most universities have cut down on this kind of firing/hiring racket as it wastes time and money; they have sussed out the admin types who abuse the recruitment system and in some places have fired them for wasting university funds. The amount of money spent on admin guys wining and dining at TESOL conventions is ridiculous. QU like a lot of other places that are downsizing obviously doesn't need any new teachers since they have way too many so logically speaking, they shouldn't go head-hunting. But who says logic prevails. For the recruiters, it's just a load of freebies - time off work and free flights, free hotels and plenty of room service. The usual.



I see they are going to TESOL 2012 to interview. I saw it on the website. I was interviewed at a TESOL conference a couple of years ago but opted out. If they have too many teachers, why are they interviewing? It's an insult to the teachers they have. What kind of message does that tell teachers with the threat of redundancy hanging over their heads?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
veiledsentiments



Joined: 20 Feb 2003
Posts: 16123
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellofello wrote:
I see they are going to TESOL 2012 to interview. I saw it on the website. I was interviewed at a TESOL conference a couple of years ago but opted out. If they have too many teachers, why are they interviewing? It's an insult to the teachers they have. What kind of message does that tell teachers with the threat of redundancy hanging over their heads?

As mentioned on other threads, they will have registered to go to TESOL long ago, and assumed the usual need for teachers that comes up in a language unit of this size. The news of the change in the system came out with the last week or so, while many were traveling during semester break. Obviously, they will not be hiring... and probably not attending... and it will take awhile for the TESOL website to be changed. I expect that the update of the TESOL website is the least of the problems in a department full of hyperventilating teachers wondering about their job future.

VS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
millie18



Joined: 23 Oct 2007
Posts: 183

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above mentioned R/A is a good 4 km from QU - however, that will not lessen the impact on traffic. Construction of buildings abounds, but without ensuring the road infrastructure is in place BEFOREHAND. In many countries, the governments require the infrastructure to be there first.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stickleback



Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Posts: 76

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

battleshipb_b wrote:
University roundabout to become intersection Friday, 03 February 2012 05:01 DOHA: The University roundabout near Qatar University will be converted to an intersection. Work on the project will begin tomorrow, the Public Works Authority (Ashghal) said yesterday.


What do they need an intersection for? How many people are going to run the light because they are late for class?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stickleback



Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Posts: 76

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
yellofello wrote:
I see they are going to TESOL 2012 to interview. I saw it on the website. I was interviewed at a TESOL conference a couple of years ago but opted out. If they have too many teachers, why are they interviewing? It's an insult to the teachers they have. What kind of message does that tell teachers with the threat of redundancy hanging over their heads?

As mentioned on other threads, they will have registered to go to TESOL long ago, and assumed the usual need for teachers that comes up in a language unit of this size. The news of the change in the system came out with the last week or so, while many were traveling during semester break. Obviously, they will not be hiring... and probably not attending... and it will take awhile for the TESOL website to be changed. I expect that the update of the TESOL website is the least of the problems in a department full of hyperventilating teachers wondering about their job future.

VS


Well they can pull the ad from the Chronicle can't they? What's it there for? Poor guys. I used to work with some of them. They stuck it out and now look what's happened!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
veiledsentiments



Joined: 20 Feb 2003
Posts: 16123
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one, including you(plural), knows what is going to happen. Rumor is that the number of ESP courses will multiply in all the affected majors and they may still need to hire... especially if many people get nervous and decide to leave rather than deal with all the question marks.

Now that would be funny... not for those involved... but for all the snipping from the outside... Laughing

VS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mesquite



Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 80

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/qatar/194604-qatar-varsity-students-vent-ire-on-twitter.html

My Qatari friend reports the number of tweets is growing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blastermill



Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 101

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These QU English teachers have been on a very rocky roller coaster ride this past year. To find out just before their annual vacation that their foundation program is likely to be canceled next year must be devastating. No wonder so many may be planning to quit.

Last edited by blastermill on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blastermill



Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 101

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The newest bombshell – days before annual leave was news in another memo (now when it’s pretty late in the day they are trying to be ‘transparent’) about the possible closure of the Foundation: “Intention of university is not to phase out Foundation Program, but if the program fails, then might consider eliminating Foundation.” How will teachers be able to work with this threat hanging over their heads? Bizarre. This means the poor suckers who are left behind will be blamed all over again if the students don’t make it through the new 9 week rush-rush intensive classes.


I wonder how this will all pan out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blastermill



Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 101

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More downers than uppers!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
battleshipb_b



Joined: 14 Dec 2006
Posts: 189

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it any more transparent. Like you, I heard things at TESOL Arabia and none of them were positive. When you exclude teachers from major decision-aking you also make a mess of things. So the new foundation is "flopping"? That was to be expected if inexperienced people and people with no Gulf backgrounds make the major decisions. Top-down decision making instead of bottom-up consultation is definitiely not the best way to run a department or change a program.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
veiledsentiments



Joined: 20 Feb 2003
Posts: 16123
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

battleshipb_b wrote:
Top-down decision making instead of bottom-up consultation is definitiely not the best way to run a department or change a program.

But, that is the way things are done in the Gulf. Some things never change...

VS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC