Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How difficult for a US citizen?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rigel

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: How difficult for a US citizen? Reply with quote

Me: white, holder of BA in English and TEFL cert, and 4 years' experience teaching English overseas. Three of those years were in colleges.

I'd love to get a job in Italy or Germany. I prefer Germany, but I've spent about a month in Italy and loved it. I have dreams of Italy. How hard would it be for me to land a teaching job in Italy?
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic's been discussed at length before, of course. I'll try to bump up some relevant posts.

The short answer is that you have very little chance of landing anything legal. Working illegally has become relatively risky.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most recent extensive post on the subject got so off-track I didn't bump it up ('to all americans' ). If you have lots of extra time, enjoy Shocked

Keep in mind that it began before January 2009, when Schengen zone rules regarding non-EU citizens in the zone got stricter (you can now stay legally 90 days, then have to LEAVE for 90 days before re-entering, thus effectively limiting the border-run option that was popular in the past).

Hopefully, this thread will attract fresh info on the topic.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is definitely possible to get work in Italy illegally, but the risk of being found out and deported is perhaps too great to allow anyone to really relax and enjoy their stay here. Plus, it's difficult to do anything if you don't have a codice fiscale or permesso di soggiorno. No bank account, no health card, no independent housing contract... it just makes day to day life difficult.
Incidentally, why do you think we should be concerned by the colour of your skin?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's likely because rigel's four years of experience will have been in Asia somewhere - where they care as much about looks as any other aspect of a teacher.
rigel

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I suppose it's likely because rigel's four years of experience will have been in Asia somewhere - where they care as much about looks as any other aspect of a teacher.

All four in Asia, where we're nothing more than glorified babysitters. I'm sick of working in Asia. Give me a class of students that actually cares enough to exert the necessary effort.

May as well pack it in and go get that MA, gentlemen. I appreciate the info.

Last edited by rigel on Mon May 04, 2009 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MA helps - as does varied teaching experience. At both universities where I've worked, we're a bit suspicious of someone with ONLY experience teaching in Asia - the experience doesn't always translate into something usable in a western teaching context.

It's not wasted, but it's not a big plus when you want to change venues.

Yeah, go for more quals. You'll land on your feet ultimately Smile
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off-topic a little, but it's interesting that in Asia, many people seem to assume that native English speakers come only in one ideal colour and style. Shocked

In Europe, native speakers of English, like native speakers of German or Italian or Spanish or French, etc. are recognized as being available in different colours and styles. Smile

It's a rather interesting cultural difference, the awareness of homogenous versus heterogenous (spelling?) populations...
SueH

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigel wrote:
Give me a class of students that actually cares enough to exert the necessary effort.

.. and you want to come to Italy? Smile That joke is a bit unfair on a lot of language learners here, but they certainly aren't the best linguists in Europe, even if they already speak two languages: Italian and their local dialect!
rigel

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
The MA helps - as does varied teaching experience. At both universities where I've worked, we're a bit suspicious of someone with ONLY experience teaching in Asia - the experience doesn't always translate into something usable in a western teaching context.

It's not wasted, but it's not a big plus when you want to change venues.

Yeah, go for more quals. You'll land on your feet ultimately Smile

Thanks. I, too, would be suspicious of a teacher who's taught only in Asia. If I needed somebody who can play Hangman, such a teacher would be cake. If I needed a real teacher, I'd quietly pass on him/her unless he/she had great creds.

Even references from Asian schools are suspect in my mind.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be fair, if I were hiring a teacher for Asia, or for Asian students just visting (not immigrating to) a country where the native language is English - then I'd consider Asian qualifications and references in a positive light.

But we're talking about Europe, right:)
lovehappens

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: informative Reply with quote

This was quite informative to follow.
munchkin

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: USA citizen/chemist/with experience teaching Reply with quote

A chemist with teaching experience in the public schools in the USA as a substitute; adjunct faculty instructor for chemistry labs at a university for one year in the USA and a USA college for one semester; together with teaching public school and tutoring ESL in Moscow, Russia and Korea with a TEFL certificate I am looking to teach in Italy for the upcoming summer and academic year in 2009.

Could anyone give me any suggestions. I know some Spanish and am without expertise in Italian.

Peg
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you're a US citizen only (no EU member state citizenship in addition) your legal options are nearly nil. Ditto for Spain, I'm afraid.

You might try reading through a few recent posts on the subject...there are some posters who advocate working illegally (I"m not among them) but there's a pretty balanced view presented in existing threads regarding the liklihoold of a US citizen getting legal work permits for Spain, or Italy, and what the options and risks for working illegally may be.
lovehappens

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: To Munchink Reply with quote

Your qualifications like mine are very good. There are some on here that seem to live on the boards every minute of the day to tell people that they can't'....
First of all it is very suspect to me that these people who say they are working over there and are established spend everyday on this board just to tell others that they have no chances. So it may be difficult to get a work visa and make things work out but keep positive.

I suggest that you do not listen to those 2or 3 people and find some more constructive information from people who are willing to aid and are not threatened by newcomers or control freaks.
Look at some other boards where there is not such negative vibes. I did and found some excellent information as to how to make it all work out. My fiance is on his way to Spain right now and will be checking things out.
There are some great "other" boards on the net where you will get much more positive and helpful feedback.
Peace!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: