Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Easier to start in Australia or Japan?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveStevenson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Easier to start in Australia or Japan? Reply with quote

It is my dream to one day live in Australia. I am currently looking into employment opportunities in Japan, as there seems to be a larger market for foreign teachers there.

Would it make more sense to get some experience in Japan (which I am interested in as well) and then try to transition to Australia? How would I go about finding employment, and what would the best opportunities be for a young college grad from the US?

Thanks
keitepai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I woud start in Japan and save enough to visit Oz and check out the job market.........presuming you are in the US it is a cheaper ticket that way.

Also, as Japan is not a native English speaking country there have to be more jobs there?? The more experience you have the better.

You should look at different areas as Australia is a vastly different country from state to state. People, climate, attitudes everything.

Very Happy
SteveStevenson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice.

I'd ideally wind up in Queensland, but it's such an amazing country that I'd be happy wherever I end up (providing I end up on the coast and not in the outback),
LinguRing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit late, but my two cents worth. Likewise, the experience gained somewhere else would be really beneficial in landing a job in Australia. I've taught in Japan, and while the market isn't as good as it used to be, there's still a reasonable amount of opportunities. In Australia, qualifications and experience are a lot more important. A lot of friends have had both but still found it hard getting a decent full time position. Hope things work out.
Insubordination

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let others cover Japan because I have no idea but it sounds like a plan.

You don't have to teach in Australia. You could get a working holiday visa for a year and do any job. That way, you can see if you like the place.

The industry is not very good this year and you would need a CELTA. Once you have that, you would have an advantage. People without experience command a lower wage and are more in demand for cost-cutting private colleges.

QLD has quite a few private colleges but you would be a casual (paid by the hour). Most teachers are. Maybe you could email a few colleges and ask them what they require and how the market is. Here are a few QLD ones.

http://www.elicos.com/elicos-queensland.php

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
SamDant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australia is one of the most livable countries Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: