Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I just show up??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good plan, GTU. Smile
ITTP

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight wrote:
I do own ties and jackets, but not suits, per se. It is still cheap to get custom-made suits here.

Thanks again, Neville.

Cheers,

Ted

Hi again Ted.

Would recommend stopping over either in Hanoi or Bangkok on your way over if you are looking to pick up a very affordable tailor-made suit. Bangkok prob best as it a cheaper and busier transport hub.
If you need any tips on this then let me know.

Have a lovely weekend!

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Jungmannova 32
Prague 1
xjessie007

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Teacher Umikun wrote:
After taking Caledonian School�s TEFL certification course in Prague at the end of this spring, I�ll just spend the summer at my parents� house in New Hampshire and fly back to Europe in September with my visa ready for me. My family haven�t seen me for five years anyway.

Oooo, New Hampshire, beautiful country! And yummy maple syrup. Why the heck would you want to come from NH back to stinky Prague full of grafiti and dog poop? Smile
cks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be able to teach Yoga here on the side as well. I know of one school in particular who hires English speaking instructors. I also have tons of experience with the visa issue. The 90 day Schengen clock can tick quite fast. I think you should sign up with a language school the second you hop off the plane, get your paperwork started, and then travel while the paper work is being processed. You are not required to work as soon as you land a job. Legally you are supposed to not be working during this time (but everyone does). During your interview at the embassy, they may ask if you are currently working and you are supposed to lie and say no.

It is very important to know that it usually takes 1 month to get the work permit and then you have the next two months to do the rest of the work. However, after your school applies for your permit, you are able to get the receipt from them and then do the work yourself. You can take this receipt to the embassy abroad to apply for your visa, and maybe this can be done the first or second week of arrival. Some schools like to wait weeks and get several permits together to apply. You may want to ask if they will let you do it yourself, and wait in line at the Urad Prace (sorry to lazy to go on the dictionary and spell check). This is the first step that slows everything down. If you take matters in your own hands you may be able to speed things up.

I have had friends living here illegally who were able to fly in and out of Schengen with no problems, and have heard of people who were given an exit order. It is all about luck. During my last few travels in and out of Schengen they asked me if I have a visa and carefully went through my passport. I also heard a story of someone deported after his 93 day. Just get the work started immediately your first week or two and then relax and start travelling. And no, you will not find a cheap place in the city center, but you can find some affordable places within 15 to 20 minutes from the center.

Best of luck!
Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting an update (if anyone is around to see it?)

I have booked my ticket to Prague for Augsut 5th. I have rented a studio apartment in Templova St. for the first month, through Happy House Rentals. It's too pricey to stay there long-term, but for my first month it's OK.

I'll send my resume to some schools this week, just to let them know I'm coming, and I'll want to meet them when I arrive.

I've just re-read all of your posts. Thanks, all of you, for all your generous help. Will remember to ask for a stamp in my passport when I arrive.

I think I'm arriving early enough to look for work and to explore Prague at my leisure. Even though it's nice to just relax, I know my mind will be on finding work too, so I'll do both.

I'm not excited yet. I think I have too much to sort out at this end: packing up 12 years in Korea, shipping some things to Canada, banking, paperwork, etc., etc. You can imagine, and I'm still working. I have 17 days off (summer vacation) before my plane leaves Korea, but no point leaving it all to the last minute.

Maybe I'll meet some of you? Who knows. Small world.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine:)
Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks spiral,

As can be expected, you always run across the odd person that tries to throw water on your plans. I think if I stay focused on my goals, and do the leg work, I'll be fine, too. I am a big believer/follower of my gut instincts and my own life experience. Hasn't failed me yet (not miserably anyway). Nice to hear back from you, and somone who's there, not an armchair quarterback. Just yesterday... some wet blanket...

I am very calm, methodical and focused, but there's a lot to consider; leaving here and going there. As soon as I wake up each day, my mind starts thinking. My to do list is being taken care of one by one and I'm just about done, with 23 days left to go. All the big stuff is done.
cks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, whenever you change flats into a more affordable one, make certain you can find someone who will get you the lease papers immediately! This is one of the most important things needed for your visa. Make sure your landlord/lady will be helpful in this regard. Many of the owners will not rent to foreigners. If you have any troubles, PM me and I can get you a number to an agency who can help you find a decent place to stay with not high commissions, but try it on your own first Smile. Also check out www.expats.cz for any additional help needed. Almost everything is answered on this site about the Czech Republic.

Good luck! You will love Prague.
ITTP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight wrote:
Posting an update (if anyone is around to see it?)

I have booked my ticket to Prague for Augsut 5th. I have rented a studio apartment in Templova St. for the first month, through Happy House Rentals. It's too pricey to stay there long-term, but for my first month it's OK.

Maybe I'll meet some of you? Who knows. Small world.

Hi Smile

Pls remember to write about your experiences when going through Czech passport control and customs at the airport so everyone can see that it is about as much hassle as flipping out your passport and walking through a gate.

Yes, short-term accommodation can be very expensive.
For longer-term accommodation the following is a good choice:
http://czech-properties.cz/?lang=en

Have a safe journey over!

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Narodni 21
Prague 1
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pls remember to write about your experiences when going through Czech passport control and customs at the airport so everyone can see that it is about as much hassle as flipping out your passport and walking through a gate.

Just to comfirm what ITTP's posted (are there some recent rumors about difficulties getting in? I've never heard of anyone having a problem, so long as they've got a legit passport!)

Passport control coming in to the country is always simple - Prague hosts literally millions of tourists every year, and there is nothing whatsoever difficult about coming in.

The challenges come when one wants to stay longer than 90 days. For this, you need support (usually from your employer) to file for a work/residency.

The only border difficulty anyone is likely to encounter is if one's overstayed without filing for legal papers. Going OUT would then be the challenge.
Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am here now, if anyone comes in to read these. Have small apartment this month in old town. Only been here a few days so I'm relaxing.

They did stamp my passport at the airport, and didnn't ask me any questions. (I came here with a one way ticket.) And Canadians do not need a visa, at present (Aug.9).
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight, I'm afraid you may have misunderstood the protocol at the airport. O

f course no questions at the airport - you're one of millions coming for your 90 day free stay AS A TOURIST.

You don't need a visa to stay for 90 days. After that, you do!!

Canadians don't need a tourist visa, is the issue. Neither do US citizens, or Kiwis or Australians.

Good luck with the job hunt - and be sure you find employment with a school that will support your work visa process.
christine13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Knight, I'm afraid you may have misunderstood the protocol at the airport. O

f course no questions at the airport - you're one of millions coming for your 90 day free stay AS A TOURIST.

You don't need a visa to stay for 90 days. After that, you do!!

Canadians don't need a tourist visa, is the issue. Neither do US citizens, or Kiwis or Australians.

Good luck with the job hunt - and be sure you find employment with a school that will support your work visa process.

Question: So *if* I got asked questions whilst coming into the Czech Republic (from the US of A) I should make like I'm going in for tourism, right? (silly question, but just checking)
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is going to ask you. Seriously. Prague hosts 14 million tourists every year.

You have a perfect right to enter the Czech Rep without a visa as a tourist from North America. You have a right to stay there for 90 days with this status.

By then, you MUST have filed for paperwork to live/work legally, or you will have overstayed.

In the extremely unlikely event that you are asked, you can tell them you are coming to take a course (are you taking a TEFL?) or that you are just visiting. You are entirely legal regardless, up to the end of the 90 days.
christine13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
No one is going to ask you. Seriously. Prague hosts 14 million tourists every year.

You have a perfect right to enter the Czech Rep without a visa as a tourist from North America. You have a right to stay there for 90 days with this status.

By then, you MUST have filed for paperwork to live/work legally, or you will have overstayed.

In the extremely unlikely event that you are asked, you can tell them you are coming to take a course (are you taking a TEFL?) or that you are just visiting. You are entirely legal regardless, up to the end of the 90 days.

Thank you, Spiral. I am always neurotic about being overly cautious. Yes, I'm taking the CELTA at Akcent hopefully in September, just have to get my course fee paid and my plane tickets and insurance. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: