Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I just show up??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is for anyone coming in here for information about living and working in Prague.

I have found a job, and am looking for an aprtment now. You need to know how to get around Prague because taxis are expensive. Grab a city map anywhere, and look for tram routes marked on it. Then go to this site to plan your trip and see the routes. There is an interactive map, in English.

http://idos.dpp.cz/idos/connform.aspx?tt=pid&cl=E5

(link not good. Site is http://www.dpp.cz/ and go to "Transport around Prague: Journey planner.")

Click the link and then click where it says "TRIPS", and enter the tram number. In no time you can figure out the main routes.

The Metro (subway) is pretty simple. Just go in a station and look at the maps there. There are 3 lines. All rides on all transit cost 26Kc. Have change for the ticket machines!! Later you can buy a pass, but when you first land here...

Hope it helps someone. I paid $60 for a taxi to get to my first interview on time. But I didn't know how else to get there. Now I do. This site is a gem.
cks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are buying the monthly or 3 month transport pass-right? I can't believe you have been taking taxis and not using the public transport. If you ever feel the need to take a taxi for any crazy reason- call AAA 14014 on your phone, you will be in their database and every time you call them, they will know to answer in English and will say "Hi, Mr Knight". They will not rip you off as much as the average taxi driver. They overcharged you because you are a foreigner.But please avoid taxis at all cost and start to get the hang of the public transport here.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $60 for a taxi to get to my first interview on time.

Ouch!
Public transport in Prague is generally simple and efficient - once you figure it out.

Good post:)

However, can I just play devil's advocate for a moment and suggest that this is another really useful point about doing your certification course in the city - the course providers help tremendously with first-timer logistical matters!

In any case, I hope your interview went well - you certainly showed a high level of motivation!
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever. When you show up in a new city you should have a few extra bucks for these unexpected events.

Doing my CELTA in Bangkok was good because it was on my winter vacation from high school (paid) and then I went to the beaches and Cambodia. Nice winter!! Then I had 4 months back in Korea to use new CELTA techniques before I came here. I learned a lot that way. And I shared my ideas with the Korean teachers. They appreciated it.

The first interview is not the job I got, nor did I want it. I am happy with what I found. Things are coming together, AND it is a lot of work.

Spiral, I've met Neville a few times. Where are you? He was just in S. Korea, so I gave him a few tips for there.

Cheers,

Ted
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be in the CR all winter. I don't need any tips about Korea, though Very Happy

I can't fault your doing the course in Bangkok - that was clearly a good plan!

My point about taking the course in-country is in general - and as versus taking it in your home country. You've obviously got a realistic attitude towards starting out in a new city in general - and many newbie teachers don't stay in the city where they start out anyway, I know.
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Knight

I have been reading your posts on CZ forum and want to ask if November/December is a good idea to look for work and find accommodation?
Last time I went to Krakow in Poland last April and tried finding work with CV in hand but returned to UK empty handed cos there was no teaching work for that time. Don't want to repeat that experience!

If it is a good time how much funds would be require to spend a week looking? I gave my self 9 days in Krakow and was told sept would be best to look there.

Knight wrote:
This is for anyone coming in here for information about living and working in Prague.

I have found a job, and am looking for an apartment now. You need to know how to get around Prague because taxis are expensive. Grab a city map anywhere, and look for tram routes marked on it. Then go to this site to plan your trip and see the routes. There is an interactive map, in English.

http://idos.dpp.cz/idos/connform.aspx?tt=pid&cl=E5

(link not good. Site is http://www.dpp.cz/ and go to "Transport around Prague: Journey planner.")

Click the link and then click where it says "TRIPS", and enter the tram number. In no time you can figure out the main routes.

The Metro (subway) is pretty simple. Just go in a station and look at the maps there. There are 3 lines. All rides on all transit cost 26Kc. Have change for the ticket machines!! Later you can buy a pass, but when you first land here...

Hope it helps someone. I paid $60 for a taxi to get to my first interview on time. But I didn't know how else to get there. Now I do. This site is a gem.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet is late August/mid September. No, November-December isn't usually an especially good time...normal contracts are Sept-June.
mr tree

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

January is the other good time to try.

That said, we had some positions become available here this month (sudden resignations, illness - all sorts of crises arrived at once!). And it's obviously easier then to employ someone who can start TOMORROW, as opposed to phone interviews and waiting for the candidate in England to tie up loose ends and arrange their flight out, etc etc......
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks guys for your posts. From what I am told it makes sense to find work over Xmas in UK even if its only warehouse the pay a few visits in January to schools in Europe. I will be getting a big rebate from Belgium by April so that can help me with finances in looking around, paying for accommodation etc
cks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The schools will start hiring the second week of January.
corij

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend and myself found we just couldnt locate ANY work this Autumn . Guess the recession hit hard everywhere
sisyphus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be frank and at running the risk of disappointing some people who are considering a career in EFL here, I certainly wouldnt try Prague at the moment.Most schools arent recruiting, most firms are cancelling language courses and there seems to be lower wages for hours everywhere. It is the worst I have ever seen here. I know several language schools who have gone bust or seriously downsized over the last couple of years and its getting worse...State schools dont pay enough to live on even subsistence level. Prague is essentially UK prices now.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it would be useful to newbies to start a new thread about current conditions in Prague....shall I? I haven't any first-hand info to add, but I can start the thread simply to invite discussion and descriptions of the topic.
mr tree

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the other thread got locked, i'm not sure why - maybe because people wandered off-topic

Prague's always had a reputation as a TEFL "Mecca", especially for newbies. i remember when i first came here (2 years ago), I actually wanted to go to Germany but i did my research and found that you'd need at least 2 yrs experience to find work in Germany, whereas Prague was a great place to turn up as a newbie. and i did that and fell in love with the place, though overall i've lost money being here.

anyway, I think this reputation is hurting English teachers at the moment, as for once supply (of teachers) is outstripping demand.

i know people at a variety of language schools who are enjoying life here - it's still a great city. however, it's certainly hard to make much more than a basic salary here at the moment. January is one of the best times to "just show up", but maybe January 2011... cos i don't think this January will be especially fruitful for an English teacher looking for work.

anyone else hearing different?
corij

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt join to slate any particular school , but in the short time ive been on here i have noticed any threads that hint of criticism of the current situation , seem to get locked , im guessing its bad for business ?

The whole worlds going through a financial crisis and i think honest ,first hand experiences of where you are teaching/living ,is beneficial to all ,in the long term .

Last edited by corij on Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: