Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American children in Peru schools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian1972

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: American children in Peru schools Reply with quote

Hello
My family and I would like to come to Peru so my wife and I can work as ESL teachers. Would my children ages 6 and 4 be able to attend public school in Peru? Are there good bilingual schools? If so any idea how much tuition might be? If my wife and I were able to work at a bilingual school is it possible my children could attend free?

Thanks,
Brian
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you could. But I woulnd't send my kids to a public school. They did a test a couple of yeras ago, and only about 2% of the teachers passed, the average was that teachers had an education equivilant to a fifth grader.

Bilingual schools, there is Fleming in Trujillo
Davy in Cajamarca
and a couple in Lima, see www.ibo.org
There's a list here
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=682387&highlight=#682387

Expect to pay about 700usd a month, plus about 3 to 5K USD for admission.

English teachers, working at institutes can make about 500 to 800usd a month.

If you worked in a school, you'd make more and get discounts on tuiton. BUt you have to be a certified teacher. What's your background, qualifications? you can apply for jobs at www.tes.co.uk School years stars in March, so apply around Sept.
sistaray

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Of course you could. But I woulnd't send my kids to a public school. They did a test a couple of yeras ago, and only about 2% of the teachers passed, the average was that teachers had an education equivilant to a fifth grader.

To be fair there were lots of problems with that test and application of it. Precisely, I think 150 of 180,000 teachers passed what the Minister of Ed said was a passing mark. I'm willing to believe Peruvian schools are substandard, but you can't tell me only 150 teachers in the entire country can pass a test....
sistaray

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but notwithstanding my last post, from what I gathered, the lowest economic classes of Peruvians strove to get their children out of public and into even the worst of the private schools
keepwalking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The test itself was fundamentally flawed - something like 20 questions on it were incomprehensible, several were looking for answers which were incorrect and in the multiple choice section several did not include the correct answer as an option. The public school system is substandard for several reasons, the poor training of teachers is just one. The test was designed to blame teachers so the government could avoid investing in schools and taking steps to reduce class sizes from around 40, provide a desk for each child and ensure all schools have not only a bookshelf, but books to put on it.

If you are looking to work in Peru, start your search with international schools who will offer you at leasta partial scholarship for your children. Try the LAHC website for a list of appropriate bi-lingual schools. Another thing to consider os that many of the private schools in Peru are church-based, usually Catholic, which may or may not suit your children�s needs.

The LAHC is the Latin American Head's Conference, an organisation supporting the British schools in Peru of which there are 6 in Lima and 1 in Trujillo. In addition there are (to my knowledge) 2 American-Peruvian schools in Lima and one in Cajamarca.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sistaray wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:

To be fair there were lots of problems with that test and application of it. Precisely, I think 150 of 180,000 teachers passed what the Minister of Ed said was a passing mark. I'm willing to believe Peruvian schools are substandard, but you can't tell me only 150 teachers in the entire country can pass a test....

Ok, that may be true, probably is. BUt still. I've seen public schools and most of them aren't that good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: