Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pharos Language School

View previous topic :: View next topic  
transloveairways

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Pharos Language School Reply with quote

Hi I have been offered a "volunteer" position at this school in Alex. Wondering if anyone had any information on this school.

They are offering accommodation, 250LE food allowance, and 10LE/hr with 40hr/wk. 40 hr is too much, right?

Also, does anyone know how stringent the government is about raiding schools to check for work permits?

Thanks for any info you might have.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW... $1.70 an hour and $45 for food and entertainment. I see lots of fuul, taamiya, and koshari in your future diet. I remember making that hourly rate back in the 1960s. Laughing So, that certainly is a volunteer job.

If you are doing this for just a semester or two, the work permit situation shouldn't be a big problem. Besides the worst thing that could happen is that you would lose this 'lucrative' position. I don't know that they would even bother to deport you if your tourist visa is up to date.

I definitely agree that a 40 hour week is very long. Perhaps you could negotiate this down with a bit of sweet talking. After all, they are getting your for a song. I'd press it under that idea that you want more time to see and enjoy Egypt.

VS
justcolleen

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're paying you an hourly wage (10/LE hr), you aren't a volunteer, you're an employee but, by calling you a volunteer, they remove themselves from what's important - treating you like a professional.

I wouldn't do it.

I also wouldn't get out of bed for that salary - 1600 LE a month plus a 400 or 500 LE a month apartment in who knows what kind of a neighborhood, with a meal or two tossed in? Are they joking? A bag of fool and four pieces of pita bread will run you 2 LE. Eat that every day and there goes 1/4 of what you've got.

A 40 hour work week is rediculous. The rest of Egypt works 35, so why should you be expected to work more?

No. The standard salary for a native English speaker here, in Alexandria, particularly American (we're in high demand), with a Bachelor's degree (in any subject) is in the 3000 LE/month range, depending. This will not come with airfare, though. Only one school in town does that, Schutz, and they will only hire the top shelf candidate (they also, evidently, pay in US dollars).

Work visas? Eh, honestly, employees are supposed to have them, but a little baksheesh (payola) isn't unheard of. Please, don't let me give you the impression money changes hands because it doesn't. Instead it's favors in exchange for office supplies (yes, pens and carbon paper). I have never heard of a raid to find foreign teachers and it's not something I've ever worried about.

If you're really interested in Egypt, look for other schools. There are plenty of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: