Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IH Palermo
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Betti

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiR - I haven't heard of many KET students at this age - certainly not at state school, anyway. In the past I have taught students who were studying for this privately. In later years - Liceo - they often study for PET and later First Certificate with a few CAE's thrown in.

It's a common complaint (from staff and pupils alike) that there isn't enough emphasis spent on communication. English teaching is very book heavy here. Example: one private student who has to read David Copperfield and Oliver Twist (albeit abridged) before the end of term (12 June), write a summary of each chapter and then struggles with fairly rudimentary conversation. The classics have their place but if you can't hold a simple conversation there's something going awry - all in my humble opinion.

Sorry, I've got a bit sidetracked! It's late, forgive me!! I'm going to check at my school tomorrow to see if they're offering KET as an option. It would be good to work towards and, to get back to the original point, with a bit of guidance they're not far off the mark.

Betti
SueH

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betti, sounds all too (even reassuringly!) familiar. Off to my 4a Elementare classes in a mo, where conversation is a distant dream...
Shana Martz

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: PON projects.. help! Reply with quote

I think I got ahead of myself. I have a list of schools with the PON projects in Campania from http://teach-english-in-italy.net/content/view/12/2/ but now I don't know what to do with it!

I went to the website links at the bottom of the .pdf, and I couldn't decipher anything on the schools' front pages. When I try to "translate this page" it gets even more jumbled up.

Help! Should I just start contacting the schools now, or send my resume?? Should I call them or e-mail them?

Does anyone know when the PON projects start?

Betti.. help! When do the PON projects start in Sicily?

Thanks in advance!
Betti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shana

PON is complicated - just spent a confusing hour completing all the after-course admin. Nightmare.

To be honest, I don't have much info for you. This job sort of fell into my lap as I had taught at the school before. It was all very last minute and I had a week's notice. For this course I started in May. The school I am with has funding for two more years. I think that once a school has the go ahead, it's up to them to decide when they want to run the courses. We're talking about doing the course again in February next year.

I did try to get into PON at another school last year but they seemed very angry that I knew about the project and I left with my tail between my legs (despite being given the tip-off from one of their teachers).

This is probably my last really manic week before the summer, when I have a moment I'll see if I can find out any more information. At the moment it's as clear as mud!
SueH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betti wrote:
I did try to get into PON at another school last year but they seemed very angry that I knew about the project and I left with my tail between my legs (despite being given the tip-off from one of their teachers).
!

Can I assume that they wanted to keep such lucrative work to themselves?
I'm sure most of us wouldn't object to a good local teacher getting such work, but there seem an awful lot who won't help their students much, particularly in regard to pronunciation. Unlike language degrees in the UK there is no obligation here to spend time in the target language country, and it often shows.
Betti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue

Yes, that's certainly one possibility although the PON courses specify mother tongue teachers. It was a very embarrassing experience as not only did they give me short shrift - refusing to even take my cv, they also phoned up the teacher who told me about the project and gave him a telephone bollocking (excuse me!) in front of me.

Have had a look at some other local schools re. previous posting. Applications are closed for this year. Looks like they are 'live' in January. You should go directly to the school's website and there is an application form to fill in to which you attach your cv.
Sharan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: British Institutes Palermo Reply with quote

Hi, I've just been offered a job with British Institutes Palermo, in Sicily, paying 800 euros a month. This is my first teaching job, its for four months. Is this a decent amount of pay and does anyone know anything about the school? And what's Palermo like? I've read some bad things about 'British Institute' places....

Please help!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: