Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IH Palermo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
horse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: IH Palermo Reply with quote

Has anyone out there worked for IH in Palermo (Either school)? Or in Sicily anywhere? I'd appreciate any thoughts
theweather

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how ya
i worked in palermo for about a year and a half.
i knew some of the teachers working in IH.
Pros
teacher development
paid hoildays

Cons
the teachers seemed to be stressed from the pressure of the management

Other schools
walls street
inlingua
british institute
i think a cambridge college or something like that

ltr
SueH

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested in Sicily or elsewhere in certain parts of the South you may find the information here useful:

http://www.teach-english-in-italy.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=2
Glenlivet

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SueH wrote:
For those interested in Sicily or elsewhere in certain parts of the South you may find the information here useful:

http://www.teach-english-in-italy.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=2

Interesting - one has to keep one's options open! Is 80 Euros per hour really feasible though? Most of the private schools I've seen advertising offer less than 1000 Euros per month as salary.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The company I worked for did PON work in southern Italy. It was mainly to the Carabinieri, Guardia della Finanzia and so on, and contracts were typically for two weeks at a time. Not just English, but a whole range of other languages too. I think the rates were far higher than �80 (or they were to the school) but the downside was the brevity of the contracts. Two weeks here, then nothing else. Or two weeks here, two weeks somewhere else (on barracks, in dodgy hotels etc) and soon you just want to go home.

You would need to find out which school now has the PON contracts, whether materials are provided (there were some very particular requirements along with general English) and what the conditions are like. Expect a lot of assessments and test administration too - and beware the copying! (And I don't mean the photocopying either...)
SueH

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there's an idea for a summer job! It's got to be better than a �6 an hour UK summer school. A two week contract and you'd get as much as a summer in the UK, or the couple of months driving job 6 days a week that I did here last summer.

Any links to PM me TiR?Smile
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't remember it being anytime as convenient as in the summer!

Re links: I think you need to find out who's doing the courses, and what availability they have. There were some pretty grim places as I recall: Vibo Valentina, Catanzaro, Reggio Calabria, Lido somewhere (also in Calabria).
Betti

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: PON Reply with quote

I'm just finishing my first PON course in Sicily. Yes, it's true, it's 80 Euros per hour, but I have been warned that the money takes some time in coming. However, this is nothing new in Sicily where there can often be a delay for local government-funded projects - Europe's another kettle of fish. Still, it's nice work if you can get it and don't mind the wait...I look upon it as interest-free saving!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Betti

What sort of teaching were you doing? I'm sure that any feedback you have would be really interesting to a lot of teachers here.
Betti

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Teacher in Rome.

Yes, I sent my post and then realised it may well be helpful to others to explain my course! I've been teaching at a Scuola Media to a group of (about 20) teenagers who are 14 years old. The title of the 30-hour course is Improve Your English.
As schools here (can only speak for Sicily) often don't have much time for communication and conversation - this has been the bias for the lesson. Lots of group work - speaking, listening, roleplaying. I've tried to concentrate on "real" english...the way we speak naturally... and have tried to focus the lessons on subjects that are of interest to teenagers. I have a teacher who works alongside me, but she's been happy to let me do my own thing.
Not to big myself up, but the feedback from the school, students and parents has been really positive. It's been a very rewarding experience for me as I've been lucky to have a group of mature and motivated students (shock, horror!).
Anyone wanting any specifics, feel free to PM me.
Oh, and how did I get the post? I taught a group of teachers at the same school last year (this was locally funded) and they did rest.
Betti
P.S. Let you know when I actually get paid!!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you - sounds like it was a real success!
SueH

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Betti, except we're all now green with envy!Smile
�80 (!) an hour, in the cheap(er) south and, best of all, motivated students!!
Betti

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's shocking, isn't it? The motivated students I mean! Actually I didn't ask the rate for this job, I assumed it would be the same as a previous course I did for the same school - 40 Euros an hour. Imagine my joy when I finally got round to asking. Still, I'm worth it!! Anyone want to lay bets on how long it will take to actually receive the money??!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it were Telecom Italia, about 6 months...

SueH - you're already in a super-rich region, so you can't very well get envious about �80 hourly rates! I imagine you charge nothing less...

Betti - here (Le Marche) the scuola media kids prepare for KET and the levels are about that. Is it any different in Sicily?
SueH

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:
Well, if it were Telecom Italia, about 6 months...

SueH - you're already in a super-rich region, so you can't very well get envious about �80 hourly rates! I imagine you charge nothing less...

Betti - here (Le Marche) the scuola media kids prepare for KET and the levels are about that. Is it any different in Sicily?

Ooooh, TiR, you know how to twist the knife... if only, weep..

Here some of the primary school teachers who do a bit of English for 1/2 primaria are probably about KET level. I still find myself over-optimistic about what my students can do, at all nominal levels. Occasionally, the reverse happens, and I had to wrack my brains in order to explain to a superiore student some of the imagery in a poem from one of the romantic poets. Her speaking, naturally, was another matter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: